It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2009, 03:03 PM   #1
(female)

lindsroc HB User
1st Appt after LEEP, what to expect?

HI all... I am going in for my 1st followup appt after having the LEEP procedure in November and im just wondering what to expect? Will they just do a regular pap or a colposcopy? Thanks!

Old 02-25-2009, 03:44 PM   #2
(female)

Elizabeth1975 HB User
Re: 1st Appt after LEEP, what to expect?

It depends on your doctor, but I believe most just do a pap, or pap + ECC.

What were the results of your LEEP?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2009, 03:51 PM   #3
(female)

lindsroc HB User

The results came back fine, they said they got it all...margins were clear. I'm just nervous, and Im one of those people that just hates going to the Dr.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:06 PM   #4
(female)

Elizabeth1975 HB User

Well, it sounds like the worst of it is over for you, so I hope you don't worry too much!!!

Old 03-14-2009, 07:03 PM   #5
(female)

muriel5 HB User

did you have your follow up? how did it go? i'm going in for my leep on monday and am very nervous. what was it like for you? was it done in a dr. office?

Old 03-14-2009, 07:11 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

I had my follow up to my cold knife cone biopsy 2 weeks after the ckc. The doctor just looked to see how it was healing - so it was a pelvic exam without a smear. I would imagine if the follow up is more than 4 weeks (maybe 6) they might do a repeat pap. Of course, a colposcopy might be done. You can always call ahead of time to ask (just so you are mentally prepared).

Good luck at the follow up!

Old 03-24-2009, 05:17 AM   #7
(female)

lindsroc HB User

I finally went in, i missed my original appt because i had the flu. well, i went in yesterday and the nurse came in and talked to me and told me i had 2 options, pap smear or pap with colposcopy. i said just pap- i was nervous because the 1st colposcopy i had was very painful. anyways, then the dr came in and said they had to do the colposcopy. she talked with the head dr., and they reviewed my reports and were very confused at how everything was positive for HGSIL and then the leep came back negative. they mentioned this a million times, how it just made no sense. they didnt notice this in december when they got the results from my leep?!
so they did the colposcopy and there was a lesion that they removed to biopsy and they also said there were a lot of areas that looked infected. not sure what thats all about?! does anyone know what could cause that? they also did an ECC. she said depending on the results of the biopsy, we will need to talk about what the next step is. if it comes back positive for high grade- they will want me to come in right away, and discuss possible hysterectomy. if not, we can just keep an eye on things.
really stressful. i was not expecting anything more than a pap- and even that i thought would come back fine.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:40 AM   #8
(female)

Elizabeth1975 HB User

Did they mean infected with hpv or a bacterial infection? This was just your first LEEP, correct? I do not see why they would be talking about a hysterectomy after just one LEEP; this doctor doesn't seem very professional. Have you considered getting a second opinion?

Old 03-24-2009, 06:40 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

zoe96 HB User

Hi there --

Obviously I can't really tell you what's going on with you medically, but I do want to tell you this: unless you have a large invasive cancer, there are other options for you besides a hysterectomy! After my colpo found AIS (adenocarcinoma in situ, the highest level of precancer), my doctor told me I needed a cone, and if it found invasive cancer I would need a hyst. Depending on exactly what they find, you could need anything from no treatment, to a larger cold knife cone biopsy, to a sample or radical trachelectomy (cervix removal only). Anyway, my point is don't get nervous that you don't have options other than a hyst. The trach hasn't received a lot of attention in the US yet, although finally more and more docs are getting on board, but regular gyns often don't really know much about it.

Keep us posted on your progress, and good luck!!

((hugs))

Old 03-24-2009, 01:30 PM   #10
(female)

lindsroc HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth1975 View Post
Did they mean infected with hpv or a bacterial infection? This was just your first LEEP, correct? I do not see why they would be talking about a hysterectomy after just one LEEP; this doctor doesn't seem very professional. Have you considered getting a second opinion?
They didnt say....they just said it appears that several areas look infected. I dont know what that means. That was the 1st LEEP i had, that was the beginning of december. I dont know if they brought up the hysterectomy as a worst case scenario- but from what I have read it doesnt seem like something I should be concerned about at this point.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:43 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Hi Linds, I can't remember, did you request a copy of your pathology reports? (starting with the first one that came back atypical and/or the one that caused your doctor to do the LEEP, including the pathology report from the LEEP). They will give you a lot of information regarding what is going on.

I'm glad your doctor did the colpo and an ECC. It will give them a good idea of what is going on in the cervical canal.

Closed Thread