It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2009, 06:32 PM   #1
(female)

mollyw HB User
Ovarian Cyst, both complex and anechoic?

Hi, recently I was diagnosed as having a cyst on my right ovary that is 'slightly complex mostly anechoic' measuring 2x1.6x1.8. I am confused as to how worried I should be about this. I have been bleeding off and on a lot the last six months, thus the test. I am inducing my period, and in a month I will repeat this. My doctor talked like he thought it would probably be gone after having a period, but the fact that it's a mixture of complex and simple concerns me. There was no nodularity or abnormal vascularity. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: Ovarian Cyst, both complex and anechoic?

Hi Molly, I don't know a lot about ovarian cysts except that about 5 or 6 years ago I was diagnosed with a couple of cysts. One, for sure, was complex. I didn't have follow up imaging (for various reasons - most of all the doctor didn't tell me to - we were looking at another problem I had) until a year or so later. By that time it had resolved. I haven't spent much time on birth control pills (or other hormonal BC) so I don't know how it affects periods and/or ovarian cysts.

I'm certain some other ladies will poke their heads in to give their suggestions. I wish I could help more than that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2009, 11:36 PM   #3
(female)

llr HB User
Question Re: Ovarian Cyst, both complex and anechoic?

I have a question whats the difference between complex and the other ovarian cysts. I was told i have two small one on my ovaries 2 years ago had a pelvic sonogram i think it call and was confirmed. A few month later i started having disabling pain that can last upwards of 10 minute per episode plus violent vomiting at the peak. The doctor seemed not concern so I blew it off. It is now two years later the pain is very bad the vomiting persist and the pains on both side last between 10-30 minutes. I am concerned but i do not want another doctor to blow me off. I been researching cysts for awhile now. And the weight gain is terrible. can someone please clue me in more.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:44 PM   #4
(female)

mimimiami HB User

I have been lurking for a week or so and this site has brought me a great deal of relief and knowledge, so I'll take a turn and post here in the hopes that my experience will be of some relief to someone else.

My GP found - during a routine pap exam - a swelling in my left side. My left side was also causing me pain on and off, sometimes doubling me over. But the pain was rare so I set it aside. At any rate, I had a transvaginal u/s about six weeks ago, and a "complex nonhomogenous cystic mass" was found on my left adnexa (ovary region) that was 5.2 cm at it's largest point.

My Gyn suggested a follow-up at six-weeks after reviewing the radiologist's report due to my age (39) and family history (no ovarian cancer). As a side note, I've had no children, and that is supposed to be a risk factor for OvCa. Needless to say, I was very worried and surfing the internet got me more upset.

Today I had my follow-up (after taking a tranxene), and my complex cyst/mass resolved itself down to .5 cm, as my Gyn predicted it would. Many of these do. The body reabsorbes the cyst when it resolves itself during a premenopausal woman's menstrual cycle. I had a hemorrhagic corpus luteum cyst that just hung around too long.

This site explains a bit and shows an image:

[url]http://brighamrad.harvard.edu/Cases/bwh/hcache/26/full.html[/url]

Anechoic simply means that the ultrasound had "no echoes". Your doctor should tell you what that means in detail, but it has to do with the "pulse" in the cyst or mass as heard by u/s. Also, slightly complex is better than complex, which is better than solid. Many women have commented on this very helpful site the greater proportion of ALL cysts are benign no matter their degree of simple to solid, though solid are more likely to be a cause of concern at any age.

So all that fretting for nothing. The mind is a funny thing. I was about ready to give away all my earthly possessions.

Try not to worry. I did and it didn't do me any good at all.

The following user gives a hug of support to mimimiami:
blessed1659 (03-18-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to mimimiami For This Useful Post:
blessed1659 (03-18-2011)
Old 03-16-2009, 05:50 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

mimimiami, thank you for jumping in and sharing your experience with the cyst. It is always good to hear more voices chime in!

Old 03-17-2009, 04:36 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Hi Molly,

I am wondering how you are inducing your period ? Are you on birth control pills by any chance .. perhaps the kind where you don't get a period so you are now "forcing" a withdrawal bleed ? If this is the case then you are not really inducing a period as the withdrawal bleeding is not a real period, the kind that comes with ovulation. I therefore do not think this will have any effect on your cyst.

If the cyst is mostly anechoic and it is indeed quite small (the size of a normal ovarian follicle), then most likely it will be gone by the time you have your next ultrasound. My experience is quite different, unfortunately, but most likely benign as well. I have an almost 9 cm simple cyst on my left ovary which I have been watching for about 18 months now. It keeps growing at a very slow rate so I am having it removed with surgery. I don't really have a choice at this point. Fortunately, it's behaviour over the past year and a half is very telling as to whether or not it is dangerous and its "looks" on the ultrasound has everyone convinced that it is benign (ie. thin walled, simple cyst on one ovary). Let us hope they are correct for my sake Anyway, sometimes these damned things don't go away on their own and they have to be removed. I don't know if it had anything to do with it but I had been on birth control pills for about twenty years non stop (I don't have children) before we found the problem. Needless to say that I have gone off them and never plan to ever go on any other form of hormonal "therapy" (ha ha that's a good one .. "therapy") ever again.

Come back and let us know how you are doing. I am sure that your cyst will have resolved by your next ultrasound.

All the best.

Estria

Closed Thread