It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2009, 01:16 PM   #16
(female)

javasmom HB User
Re: Anyone experience similar symptoms?

Well I had my laparoscopy and hysterscopy yesterday and it's confirmed that I have severe endometriosis. Now my doctor wants to start me on Depo-Lupron and I'm freaking out about this. I am 39years old and done with having kids but am not ready to be put into menopause right now. Has anyone else done Depo and had a good experience with it? I've yet to see anything positive.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:01 PM   #17
Veteran
(female)

LilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB User

No experience with this personally, but I have a friend who had surgery a few years back for endometriosis. She had growths so large that the doctors weren't sure they could remove them laproscopically! She defintely is interested in having kids someday, so her endometriosis is being controlled by what basically amounts to superstrong birth control. They told her she has to be off it for 6 months before having kids, but she's had absolutely no problems since.

I know this is MAJOR, but if you're done with kids, I'd ask about the option of a hysterectomy and keeping your ovaries. That way no menopause and you don't have to worry about the endometriosis. I don't know if that's really a good option for, but I think it's worth asking the doctor about.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that their definitely are options, so if your don't think Depo-Lupon is right for you, ask about other options. And I definitely recommend getting a 2nd opinion if you don't like what the first doctor says!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2009, 05:19 PM   #18
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

All I can say is "yep" to much of what Lily said. I strongly suggest you get a copy of your pathology report(s) and seek a second opinion. You are concerned about the medicine induced menopause, ask about other options.

The way I understand it, though is that the endometriosis feels on the estrogen. One of the concerns with a hyst and keeping the ovaries is that you are still feeing the endo with your estrogen.

I really don't know a lot about endo. I just really wanted to jump in and tell you that I wish you well and hope you find a solution you are comfortable with! ((((hugs))))

Old 04-22-2009, 03:34 AM   #19
(female)

javasmom HB User

Thank you so much for the positive support. Funny I was so relieved when he told me it was Endo but now it doesn't look all that great for a pain solution. If I go for hysterectomy then I'm still faced with losing all of it and still going into early menopause - although I suppose it would be a matter of just getting through it and being done with it?? rather than going on the depo and still risk getting it back. Anyway looks like I need to do more research. Thanks again for everyone's thoughtful responses.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:13 AM   #20
(female)

jgrant HB User

HI,
Here's my two cents worth. I had sever endometriosis, and had numerous surgeries to relieve my pain, and after 4 years of that, I had a hysterectomy, my doctor left part of my right ovary to prevent menopause, as I was only 26 when I had it done, I had already had 2 kids so I was fine with that, and just wanted the pain and bleeding to go away, and no more hormone drugs, I tried the depo and lupron and it was the most horrible experience of my life. I opted for the hysterectomy and felt amazing after healing from my surgery (they did abdominal because there was so much to remove) I was abosolutely a new person, pain free and so much like my old self, it was a really good decision for me. Now though, I am having pain with my part of my right ovary, as it is overproducing eggs now, and as well I have alot of complex cysts that keep showing up on ultrasound. I am going to be having an ooprectomy soon to remove the partial ovary, then I will have to deal with the full effects of menopause.
My opinion for you, is that if you are done having children I would push to have the surgery, like I said I felt great, and aside from the cysts I have now, have had no problems at all. My doc told me there was a 2 % chance that they endo would come back after hysterectomy if he left an ovary, guess I am just in that 2%. Most women that I have talked to that have had one done have been totally pain free for many many years. I wish you all the best!

Old 06-03-2009, 08:47 PM   #21
(female)

javasmom HB User

I'm trying everything but the hysterectomy!!! I'm 39 nearly 40 and DO NOT WANT TO GO THROUGH MENOPAUSE!!! I have a feeling though that it's going to end up that way in the near future. Has anyone tried the naturopath route with Progesterone treatment and have it work? I'm wondering if I'm wasting my money on all this Reiki, Acupuncture and Naturopath stuff. HELP!!! I am done with having kids but fear menopause!

Old 06-04-2009, 12:49 AM   #22
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User

What about menopause treated with HRT? You are only about ten years off the natural menopause anyway. My sister had this happen similar to yours, and had a hysterectomy, opted for early menopause with HRT, and says she has never looked back. She tapered (?) off the hormones in her fifties and is in fine bloom and fettle. If I had to choose between that and ten years of pain, illness and stress, I know which I would choose. Sera.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:02 AM   #23
(female)

javasmom HB User

So back again! Just had my annual pap test, which by the way surprised me since I just had a laparoscopy and hysterscopy in late April, and during the exam my doc could see 2 lesions on my cervix. He didn't say much about it but took some extra swabs. When he took out the speculum it hurt like he'll and bled like crazy. I spotted for three days afterward. I of course didn't ask many questions because I was shocked it wasn't normal in there. I've been trying to ignore the fact that I have endo, I'm on 800mg of prometrium per day. My doc basically said well have to wait and see what the test results are before doing anything further. Anyone out there have lesions on their cervix before? I've been in a monogomous relationship for 20yrs, had level 3 abnormal pap with cone biopsy and leep done 12years ago.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:30 PM   #24
(female)

JessicainCanada HB User

Hey Javasmom! I also have had cervical lesions. Mine were from a chronic infection caused by you guessed HPV lol! Its more common than one would think! My OBGYN explained in layman's terms that a chronic infection/inflammation of the cervical tissue can cause minute cracks in the cervical tissues if the HPV is active in there, which will/can open during intercourse or anything else going in there that disturb them. What happens over time is that if they open over and over then heal they can cause lesions.

Mine are all gone now after the hyst!! Woooo hoooo! Hope you feel better *hugs*

Old 09-24-2009, 09:34 AM   #25
(female)

javasmom HB User

Do you mind me asking why you got hysterectomy? Because of the hpv or something else? Thanks for responding by the way.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:08 AM   #26
(female)

JessicainCanada HB User

You are correct on my reason behind the hyst. I chose to have my hyst because of HPV caused CIN 3 (cancer stage 0)....stage 0 was scary enough

No worries about early menopause, it's a bit of a myth that just because you have a hyst that you WILL have early menopause. My one ovary seems to be adjusting quite nicely to it's new more roomy space and also seems to be working just fine. I was very scared of having a hyst @ first like you but after it was out and not to mention a whole month and a half of being doted on and watching movies lol. I also am taking the natural approach and when and IF the time comes feel free to ask for tips on combos of supplements and teas.

*hugs*

Jess

Last edited by Mod-S4; 09-25-2009 at 05:00 AM. Reason: Please read the Announcement at the top of any board. Thanks.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:36 AM   #27
(female)

javasmom HB User

Thanks Jess I may be writing back if I have more questions. Still waiting for test results which could take weeks.....or months!

Old 10-01-2009, 03:51 AM   #28
(female)

javasmom HB User

So Jess, did you find out about your hpv recently or have you known for years. Did you you find out just from a pap smear or did your doc do a different test? My tests came back clear for any infection or stds. We are still waiting for pap results which can take upto a month or more. My doc had another look and the lesions are still there so he's referred me back to my gyno which can take god
knows when I'll get an appointment. My doc thought there was a slight chance it might even be endo lesions he was looking at. Anyway I'm trying not to get too worried at this point.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:12 AM   #29
(female)

JessicainCanada HB User

Hello , I only found about the HPV in Feb of this year (Im 29). If you have endo it could very well be from that also. Hopefully you can get this solved eh!. *hugs* Jess

Old 10-04-2009, 03:15 PM   #30
(female)

javasmom HB User

So my cultures came back negative for stds and I'm still waiting for the pap test to come back which could be another couple of weeks. My doctor had me go in for another look to see if the lesions were still there and they were so he's referred me back to my gynocologist whose earliest appointment is one month from now. Two days ago I bled after intercourse and it was quite painful where I thought I was going to be sick from the pain. I've never experienced bleeding after intercourse so once again I'm worried. I hate waiting! I'm not allowed to take my prometrium (progesterone) vaginally until I see the gyno and it's knocking me out, nor I allowed to switch drugs fory endo until I've seen the gyno - all one month from now! This is so frustrating! Thanks for listening

Last edited by javasmom; 10-04-2009 at 03:16 PM.

Closed Thread