It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2009, 01:47 PM   #1
(female)

javasmom HB User
Anyone experience similar symptoms?

Ok so about 1 year ago I began experiencing pain over my right ovary, but I really had to feel around and push fairly hard to find it (not sure how I actually found it to begin with??). Went to the Doctor who recommended an ultrasound that came back negative. Around the same time my periods started to get all whacky, I'd spot for about 7 days with bright red bleeding first thing in the morning followed by dark brown mucus. Then the next 2 days would be heavy bleeding, followed by about 7 more days of spotting. I went to the gynecologist who didn't think it was an issue. So I left it alone but had the gnawing feeling that something wasn't right. Shortly after, I ended up with a bulging disc in my back so completely forgot about the pelvic pain. After dealing with my back pain I began to feel around for this painful area and noticed that it seemed far easier to find and the area seemed larger. My last period was still 7 days of spotting but the 2 days of heavy bleeding was also accompanied by severe cramps so I went back to my Doctor to continue investigating the pain and he referred me back to my gynecologist, plus we did another ultrasound which came back negative. The gyneo did a pelvic exam as after listening to my symptoms suspected Endometriosis which is also what my GP suspected. After the pelvic exam he ruled this out and thought it might be a hernia. So he refers me to a surgeon. I go to the surgeon and he says no way is it a hernia and refers me back to my GP. My GP has another feel around, sounds no way this is over the right ovary. So then he mentions ovarian cancer being a slight possibility so sends me for the CA125 test which his assistant told me was negative. I didn't know there were "numbers" attached to this but assuming it was in a normal range?. Last week I went for the CT Scan and should be getting results back tomorrow. I should mention also that in the past week I've had lots of cramping, stomach pains and back pain. Since the bulging disc, I've always had back pain - some days worse than others, however this back pain is different - it's more "crampy". Also, when you push this "tender" area the pain is "intense". When I went for the ultrasound and she put the wand on the area it hurt like hell and it was all I could do to yell at her to get it off (yet the ultrasound was negative??).

Sorry for the long story but if anyone can enlighten me please do! Also should I be requesting a transvaginal ultrasound?

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2009, 03:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: Anyone experience similar symptoms?

That's interesting, Javasmom. I had similar symptoms several years ago, but they were on the left side. I thought it was a hernia. The doc sent me for a CT (or was it an MRI?). It came back no hernia, but it found my fibroid and a few cysts on my ovaries. It also showed a nodule on my lungs. We addressed the nodules first (which ended up not being anything "wrong"). And we forgot (kind of) about the fibroid and cysts. Fast forward a few years and the fibroid few a little, but the cysts resolves. I ended up having UFE/UAE for my fibroid. A few days before I had the UFE I went for my annual pap. Because of a result of that I ended up being diagnosed with HPV and later cervical cancer (long story - I've written about it a lot). Anyway, I ended up with a hysterectomy.

It sounds like your doctors are giving you the run-around. I suggest you ask for copies of all of your tests that they have run since all of this began. I also suggest you ask for copies of their "notes." I also suggest you consider getting a second opinion. If you think/feel something is wrong, then seek an opinion until a doctor listens to you.

I'm sorry you are going through so much. Let us know what you learn.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:37 PM   #3
(female)

javasmom HB User

Thanks Pickle Eyes for your quick response. I will let you know what the CT results say and I'll go from there.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:46 PM   #4
(female)

javasmom HB User

So got the CT scan results - pelvis is clear TG!!! What a relief. Scan was blocked by something in the bowel. Possibly fluid indicating a cyst so have to go back for another ultrasound. Hopefully that's all it is!

Old 03-02-2009, 02:02 PM   #5
(female)

javasmom HB User

.....although it still doesn't explain my whacky periods and crampiness in my pelvis

Old 03-02-2009, 06:04 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

It might explain it. All of those body parts in the abdomen and pelvis are very closely packed in together. A swelling in one of them can affect the other surrounding organs (or nerves, or blood vessels to organs, or muscles, etc). I believe it is ALL connected - for better or for worse.

I hope your doctor finds out what is going on!

Old 03-08-2009, 06:40 PM   #7
(female)

javasmom HB User

Ok since I last posted my symptoms have gotten much worse. I've been constantly bloated to the point that it's very uncomfortable to sit down. It feels like I have a basketball in my gut. I can't eat anything without my stomach hurting and the pain radiates to the back which sounds to me like possible gallstones. I've also been nauseous and dizzy. I've had a constant low grade fever of 100.4 - 101.2 since Thursday. I went to my doctor on Thursday had bloodwork down which all came back normal. Asked him about gallstones but the ultrasound done at the beginning of February showed gallbladder was fine. He's going to order a gallstone test this week which is great but does it explain the cramping and pain I'm getting in my pelvis too? I'm also to phone the gyne tomorrow and "demand" an appointment. This is just getting way too frustrating!! I've already missed 3 shifts at work in the past 2 weeks. I had the doc clarify my ct scan which I reported wrong earlier. They want an ultrasound done again to check for fluid in the fallopoian tubes that may have developed since the first ultrasound done in February (sounds pointless to me). The ct scan just didn't see a few loops in the bowels - but my bowel movements are all fine so I don't expect a problem there. Anyway another week or two or three of waiting to find out what's causing me all this grief!

Old 03-08-2009, 07:12 PM   #8
(female)

JessicainCanada HB User

I hope everything turns out fine Java!....What an ordeal for you to have to go through!. Red raspberry leaf tea taken in conjunction with Milk thistle extract is amazing for any type of ovarian pain/PMS as well as intestinal pain......Works for me better than ANY OTC pain reliever....

***Hugs***

Jess

Old 03-13-2009, 07:37 AM   #9
(female)

kaamom HB User

I Java,

Boy your story sounds almost exactly like mine except my pain is on the left side. I have had the run around also. They say go to this doctor and then go to that doctor, it's so frustrating.
Like you, when I had my ultrasound, the tech touched the exact spot where the pain is, on or near the left ovary even though she had to go on a scavenger hunt to find it, it was hiding, but the tech said she couldn't see the outer edge of my ovary, I don't understand how they can dismiss me and say there is nothing there when I was in so much pain. So who do I go to now, the gastro doctor or the gyno again.
Thanks for listening and good luck to you, kaamom

Old 03-13-2009, 06:05 PM   #10
(female)

javasmom HB User

Well after 6 hours in the emerg yesterday I finally had a vaginal ultrasound (which showed nothing!) however I was examined by the gynecologist on duty and he is 99% sure all my issues are associated to Endometriosis which may be affecting my bladder and gallbladder. Now I have to wait 6 weeks for a laparoscopy and hysteroscopy. I've been given NSAIDS and T3's to manage the pain until then and still waiting for my HIDA scan in two weeks. I'm so relieved I finally have an answer to the unbearable pain but I'm not sure I'm going to make it 6 weeks. I'm hoping this will all ease off in a few days as my period comes to an end for this month. ARGH dreading next month!!

Old 03-13-2009, 06:30 PM   #11
(female)

muriel5 HB User

i couldn't believe that i was living what you were discribing. my pain on the left side, they've been monitoring it for two years. had an internal. she said she couldn't see my ovary. i even told her, you see where your pressing. that is where the pain originates. it then shoots down my leg sometimes.

have you gotten any more update? i feel so lost. i have also been told i have CIN2

Old 03-13-2009, 06:55 PM   #12
(female)

dolores79 HB User

Hi Java, I have just started the challenging journey towards getting a diagnosis for my pelvic pain..My story is different in that I did have some urinary tract infections, waay too many for my doctor to dismiss me anymore with a prescription for antibiotics or pain killers (a bandaid and no reason!!). I also had/have some period issues that were attributed to my thyroid levels. My gyno saw some signs of cervicitis that would explain the constant pink or brown spotting, started flagyl cream vaginally and I'm thrilled to report that stopped. The bleeding was from my cervix, not endometrium. I still have the pelvic pain, to the right side and lower back pain. I'm going to have a pelvic-abdominal cat scan in 2 weeks, and some bladder tests to see the inside of it and how it functions.. My gyno suggested abdominal ultrasound but since I'll be getting the ct scan he said we were better off waiting for that. My PAP came back abnormal (ASCUS) but HPV negative so no more PAPs for a year.
It's really frustrating since everything is so close together down there.
After reading a lot on pelvic pain I *decided* I have ovarian cancer..I freaked myself out this past week!!!. But I'm sure there's another reason for my misery..I'll keep looking until I know for sure it's not a mass somewhere.. But just thinking of it makes me nauseous.
My advice is to keep advocating for yourself, and don't rest until you are satisfied, even if that means a bunch of second opinions..
Wish you the best and hugs,
Dolores

Old 03-20-2009, 04:04 PM   #13
(female)

javasmom HB User

Thanks for your kind thoughts Doloresmc! I'll keep it at it until we figure it out but it's the waiting that's the painful part!

Old 03-23-2009, 12:55 AM   #14
(female)

javasmom HB User

Ok so here I am at midnight - typing away because I can no longer lie down without being in extreme pain. I was in emerg yesterday for severe abdominal pain. I was given the "shot in the ***....and 2 pills" and given an xray. The xray showed my colon was backed up with a huge air pocket in the right side. I was then told to go home and drink milk of magnesia until I pooped. Well I gave up at 9pm and woke up at 4am with severe watery bowel movements....NICE! Then the hospital called me up this am to go in for an ultrasound of the gallbladder which turned out "normal looking". I still have the HIDA scan to do tomorrow morning bright and early. But here's the other revelation I've had...since getting my last painful period I discovered that the entire opening to my vagina is completely swelled shut. It's like something from the inside has pushed down and it's nearly coming out. So of course I google this and do my own research and am now wondering along with the endometriosis if I have a prolapsed uterus or something similar which is also blocking my bowel - or maybe herniated bowel or something that is causing the colon to back up. It's weird the colon is backed up when I had a bowel movement yesterday morning - which was very very crampy and painful but normal - not hard and not loose, just normal. My blood and urine work at the hospital was all normal....again. I'm in so much pain right now and I can do nothing about it! Ok I had to get that out. If anyone else has or is experiencing this please reply!

Old 04-01-2009, 04:13 PM   #15
(female)

summer485 HB User

it seems that you have pelvic infammatory disease..i am not a doctor obviously and dont know about it by i am pretty sure i have cervicitis and i am contacting my doctor for treatment
hang in there!
i know its rough but you can do it
try and stay strong

Closed Thread