It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2009, 04:55 AM   #1
(female)

kimlucias HB User
how quick can CIN 1 or 2 turn into cervical cancer?

how quick can CIN 1 turn into cervical cancer?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2009, 01:28 PM   #2
(female)

muriel5 HB User
Re: how quick can CIN 1 or 2 turn into cervical cancer?

hi there...i'm thinking the progression varies. i went from cin1 to cin2 in three mths. and am going for a leep on monday. i'm working with a naturopath who claims that you can do things naturally to slow the process down. its all just so worrisome.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2009, 03:11 PM   #3
(female)

simplynat HB User

It is important to know that the majority of CIN1 (as well as CIN2) dyslasias will not progress into cancer at all and the body is able to clear the dysplasia on it's own. Most research indicates it will take 10 years for cervical cancer to develop, although there are cases that have progressed much quicker than this. It is difficult to say if those cases are truly fast progressing cancers or situations in which the previous tests may have been a false negative.
I read in a medical research paper that approximately only 5% of CIN2 and 12% of CIN 3 will progress into cervical cancer if left untreated. Due to the fact that it is impossible to know who will progress and who won't, it is important to keep on top of cervical dysplasia and either monitor it or have it removed - especially if severe.
Best wishes to you.

Last edited by simplynat; 03-11-2009 at 04:08 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to simplynat For This Useful Post:
Kali333 (06-20-2011)
Old 03-11-2009, 05:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplynat View Post
It is difficult to say if those cases are truly fast progressing cancers or situations in which the previous tests may have been a false negative.
I read in a medical research paper that approximately only 5% of CIN2 and 12% of CIN 3 will progress into cervical cancer if left untreated. Due to the fact that it is impossible to know who will progress and who won't, it is important to keep on top of cervical dysplasia and either monitor it or have it removed - especially if severe.
Best wishes to you.
AMENamenAMEN! Many women (and even doctors) have an assuption that the pap will detect all bad cervical changes. The truth is, it doesn't. The pap only samples the cells on the outer cervix (1/3 of the cervix), not the cervical canal. The outer cervix might be fine, but there could be problems in the canal.

From what I've read, the progression is 5-10 years. I'm not sure how those numbers were acquired. Did they watch women who had untreated, but identified dysplasia and it took that long to develop into cancer? That's the only thing I can think of.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:14 PM   #5
(female)

Elizabeth1975 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle Eyes View Post
Did they watch women who had untreated, but identified dysplasia and it took that long to develop into cancer? That's the only thing I can think of.
I wouldn't want to be that guinea pig!!!

Old 03-11-2009, 06:29 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Pssh Yah! I know!!! :shakes head: Like I said, I don't know how they got those numbers of 5-10 years for progression. :shrugs:

Old 03-11-2009, 06:37 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

luvbug412 HB Userluvbug412 HB User

Also that number could be discerned by looking at cases of women who had chosen to be treated more conservatively. I know I've seen THAT statistic thrown around quite a lot of the number of cases that have gone on to develop cancer versus those that did not.

Closed Thread