It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2009, 01:03 PM   #1
(female)

valleyssands HB User
hi everyone .. scared newbie to this forum :(

Hi everyone my name is Eileen, I,m 44 married with 3 children and 4 grandchildren ... they are in short my world ..
I,m here since finding out some potentionally devastating/frightening news this week and I would if possible like some support/advice from anyone who sadly finds themselves here ..
Let me start in the beginning then .. and huge apologies as I have a feeling its going to be a long post ..

A little over a yr ago I began having probs with my bowels .. I have always suffered for wot I can only describe as the most chronic constipation for as long as I can remember but that all changed as I said a little over a yr ago when my 'movements' became much looser and I was needing the loo more often..
This went on for a few weeks and then I began to develop pain/discomfort in my left side .. again this went on for another few weeks and eventually I was admitted to hospital with this pain and because I had gradually begun to lose control of my bowels needing to be in close proximity to a toilet (sorry its so graphic but just cant think of how else to word it
Anyways following this stay in hospital a ct scan and a colonoscopy it was decided I had mild diverticular disease ..
A follow on appt with my gp confirmed this tho he did say to me that it was so mild that he thought this was not the cause of all my pain .. he also said it sounds like I have IBS and if my symptoms had not resolved themselves by my next appt .. he would refer me to the IBS clinical nurse at out hospital .. this appt was to follow in 4 months ... the deadline came and went .. no appt ever arrived ..
Now to my next 'episode'
At the end of Feb this yr I again began experienceing symptoms of pain, urgency in needing loo and I was again admitted to hospital, given ant biotics to treat another 'flare up' .. I was discharged after 6 days and had to come back to hospital 4 days later for another ct scan (just in case I,d developed complications that can accompany diverticual disease) ..That day came and went, and I was sent home and told If anything was found to be 'wrong' then I would be contacted by a consultant/doctor .. asap ..
4 days later, (this weds just gone) I was called by a SHO from the hospital to say my ct scan was clear as regards to what they were looking for .. ie ulcers of bowels but a mass had been found on my right ovary ..
Herein lies my concerns .. I,m immediately thinking the worse now and having since read up on ovarian cancer i now find that my symptoms have been very similar to the point of being almost identical and having googled this I,m even more scared as I,m thinking God thats me ! .. those are my symptoms ..
I need to know does anyone or has anyone experienced same/similar probs as my self before their diagnosis' and do any of u think I,m right in thinking the worst news case scenario .. I have to go back on Mon for an ultrasound scan after which will be seen by doctor who will go through results/findings with me ?
I,m so very scared .. and broken hearted for my family ..
I hope you dont mind me asking these questions but atm I,m struggling and need to just 'talk' to those who are/have gone through what I,m fearing the most ..
Sending you all, my love, hugs and strength and gentle days ahead ..
God Bless
Eileen a very scared wife mummy and nanna

Last edited by valleyssands; 03-13-2009 at 01:06 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2009, 01:27 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

luvbug412 HB Userluvbug412 HB User
Re: hi everyone .. scared newbie to this forum :(

I wouldn't say that thinking of of the worst case scenario is in your best interest (as far as your sanity is concerned). What you DO need to do is get the Drs and beat them senseless with questions and demand that they get to the bottom of what is causing these problems for you.

Have they done any blood work to try and type for CA-125?
Good luck with your ultrasound.

Also - try and get copies of any/all the results of your tests.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:27 PM   #3
(female)

texan1771 HB User

Eileen,I am so sorry you are going thru this it can make a normal person snap.trust me I know...Waiting is the worst thing really,I always quiz my Dr,s now whay do yall make us wait weeks to find out what is going on inside our miracle bodies,of course there is no reason they could cook up for me...I had cervical cancer and beat it.I cant offer much advice on the ovaries,sorry.Just know I will be putting you on my special prayer list,and please keep us updated,please know you are NOT alone darling,Ginger

Old 03-13-2009, 01:56 PM   #4
(female)

valleyssands HB User

Hi both
Thank you so much for your prompt, lovely replies .. it means so much to me that people can and do tke the time to try to help others when they themselves may be going through some personal 'trauma' iuswim ?
Ginger your prayers are so very much appreciated .. hugs and payers back at ya
Lovebug 412 .. (sorry dont know ur name)I dont think I was screened for CA 125 during my last stay in hospital .. as far as Iam aware tho some things were raised which they said wasnt overly concerning as I was in with suspectred bowel infection 'cos of Diverticualr disease .. nothing alarmingly high ... would anything have shown up in my bloods as regards to CA 125 .. ie they werent looking for that so would it have immediately been flagged iuswim ?
Sorry I,m confusing but my heads all over the place and I just cant think straight atm .. your words are sound words of advice .. ie thinking of the worse case scenario doing me no good .. it,s just me being me and all my other symptoms are so very like/similar ot OC .. my doctor told me last night it was only small .. approx 4 cm .. does this mean a better 'outcome' for me if it is the worse case secenario ..
I thank you both from bottom of my heart for you,s taking time to reply ...
Love and strength to you both
Eileen xx

Old 03-13-2009, 02:09 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Eileen,

Welcome to the boards. It is truly a wonderful place to come for support and acceptance from people who are in, or have been in your shoes. I personally do not have experience in your area, but still wanted to welcome you, and let you know that we are glad you found us, and we are here day and night.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:08 PM   #6
(female)

JessicainCanada HB User

Hi Eileen , I cant relate to the uterine issue, but I can relate to the reproductive issues and having scary symptoms. I was diagnosed with CINIII in January, and was reading about full blown cervical cancer symptoms prior to my actual diagnosis and I too thought OH MY GOODNESS, that's what I've been going through down to a T. I was convinced I was dying, going to need chemotherapy and in a nutshell turned myself into a bit of a nervous wreck .

I of course freaked out....it's pretty standard for this stuff I think.

I had bleeding after sex, pain and a strange discharge in copious amounts, which are all indicators for advanced cervical cancer....Turned out to be from BV (Bacterial vaganitis), which low and behold cleared right up after some gel prescribed by my MD and a round of antibiotics. I just thought I'd throw my 2 pennies in because sometimes the symptoms that you are having have not a dran thing to do with what you THINK might be the matter with you.

Also just a kind word of advice, DO NOT read anything about "worst case", there is plenty of time for reading about what is the matter with you AFTER a proper diagnosis. I terrified myself doing that, and I think most of us regulars here also read stuff they really diddnt need to also. ...

***Hugs****

Jess

Old 03-13-2009, 07:33 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Hi Eileen, these ladies have given much good advice.

I had cervical cancer, and only have a little experience with cysts, so I don't have any good advice there. BUT I can tell you that worrying doesn't change the outcomes of the tests that they have run. I personally think all worrying does is occupy my mind and drive me batty! I try to keep myself busy with other things when I start obsessing (because that's what I do when I worry).

If you worry and concern drives you to research at reliable sources of information, then that is good. Reading night-mare stories after stories, though just fuels the worry-fires! I've learned that the hard way . . . and I didn't learn the first time! :smacks forehead:

One way that helped me now worry, but to focus my research was to begin compiling a list of concerns to tell the doctor and writing a list of questions. Fortunately, many of my questions were answered before I went to the appointment, because I found the answers online. That felt good.

Anyway, I'm exhausted and I don't know how helpful I'll be tonight. I just wanted to join in and welcome you and offer a little bit of advice.

(((hugs))) to you!

Closed Thread