It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2009, 10:49 AM   #1
(female)

victorian HB User
rotten odor, pain in back, sides after LEEP, infection?

Hello, just joined...wish I would have found this board before my LEEP procedure this past Monday.

I'm hoping someone can help...I had the LEEP with just a sedative, went home, felt tired but pretty good, watched movies, did not take my pain meds because I had no need.

The second day (yesterday) felt pretty good still, took it easy doing laundry and making beds. But by yesterday afternoon, my back started to hurt and I had to urinate a lot. Started drinking more water. Aching continued, took over the counter tylenol instead of my perscription pain pills, went to bed.
Today, third day after LEEP, I have a very nasty smell like a dead cat, my lower back and sides are aching, no fever but I feel kinda fevered anyway. Kinda hurts to urinate. Could I have a UTI or infection? I would just go back to my surgeon but that is a two hour drive!!

The Following User Says Thank You to victorian For This Useful Post:
wvgirl13 (09-01-2012)
Old 03-25-2009, 11:10 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

LilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB User
Re: rotten odor, pain in back, sides after LEEP, infection?

If there is a bad smell, you should definitely get it checked out ASAP.

If I were you, I'd call the doctor and ask him! If your doctor isn't there, you can often speak to a nurse or something.

You can probably just go to a local doctor/hospital/urgent care center instead of driving back to the surgeon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2009, 11:39 AM   #3
(female)

Elizabeth1975 HB User

Agree with what Lily said. I had a slight infection after my LEEP and I just went back in and they took a quick swab of the area and looked at it under a microscope. I would think they could do that at any hospital for you.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Get looked at today, whether by your surgeon or a closer medical facility.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:40 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

luvbug412 HB Userluvbug412 HB User

I'd get it looked at ASAP (these ladies know what they are talking about). Any infection in an area where there is surgery (LEEP) is especially cautious to begin with due to the fact that there is an open wound.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:08 PM   #6
(female)

BE 123 HB User

Dead cat? Probably nothing is wrong unless you have a fever and heavy bleeding, but I would go to a walk-in clinic or ER to be safe (unfortunately). I had to go to the ER for discharge and bleeding beyond the time you're supposed to, and low grade fever, but whatever infection was present cleared up with a course of antibiotics. I had the laser, though. Some odor is normal after LEEP just as it is normal after laser, that's the dead tissue discharge, as is mild-moderate bleeding, but not "dead cat" odor. Mine smelled like...ummm...REALLY BAD drool. REALLY BAD! I can't explain it any other way. Think of a puddle of kiddie drool cooped up in a moist, warm environment. I was embarrassed to be at work!

Last edited by BE 123; 03-25-2009 at 04:10 PM.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:08 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

zoe96 HB User

I agree with all the ladies above -- BUT, do remember it may be nothing at all. The healing tissue can put off a nasty odor! If you've had a colpo w/biopsies and/or ECC before, you probably had the same thing. After my colpo I was complaining to a friend who'd had one before, and she said "oh, yeah, it smells like rotten beef." That described it perfectly. Sorry to be gross! So, go get checked to make sure it's nothing, but don't necessarily get yourself panicked for the worst. Please let us know how you are doing!!!

Old 03-25-2009, 05:51 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

I know I had an odor. It was kind of strong, maybe pungent . . . but not dead-cat-like. I hope you went to the doctor, urgent care facility, or ER. Please check back so we know how you are doing!

Old 03-25-2009, 08:40 PM   #9
(female)

victorian HB User
Re: discovered cysts too/rotten odor, pain in back, sides after LEEP, infection?

Thank you all so very much for writing to me. It is so wonderful to find others who have gone through the same ordeals and can share information.
I just got back after hours spent with doctors. I first tried the urgent care, then my surgeon said for me to come back and see him. This is an hour and a half drive, didn't want to do it, but did it anyway. Apparently during LEEP he discovered three rather large cysts which he cut off and cauterized as well. The possibility is the cysts could have started an infection although he did not see anything.He perscribed an antibiotic just to be safe and I have started on that.
It was extremely painful to be examined. I just about passed out. The nurse sympathized: "It sure is hard to be a woman sometimes isn't it?" Then I drove an hour and a half back, crying the whole time, by myself, in the pouring rain. I should write a country song. I am started on the antibiotic and have taken pain pills. I tend to be one of those who refuse to take anything, but the pain is too severe.
I think my surgeon should have let me know in the first place that he had also taken off cysts and then I would have been prepared. But he is a brand new surgeon and very earnest and trying his best. At least he listens to me and answers all of my questions.
Ihope my informatoin about the cysts will help someone else. I may post it under a separate thread for those who are searching too.
This is my third procedure: I had the freezing and the laser and have been fighting this for over a year. Today I learned one of my two part time jobs I had is letting me go because they think I won't get better and they want someone who doesn't have to take surgery off. Maybe they can find a robot.

Thanks again, thinkI'll go lie down for alittle bit and then come back on here later.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:35 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

LilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB User
Re: discovered cysts too/rotten odor, pain in back, sides after LEEP, infection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorian View Post
Then I drove an hour and a half back, crying the whole time, by myself, in the pouring rain. I should write a country song.
You are too funny!

Glad you got antibiotics just in case. Better be safe than sorry.

Weird about the cysts! It's absolutely amazing what doctors can leave out.

About your job . . . firing you for taking time off for being sick is horrible and could possibly be illegal! Have you worked there for more than a year?

Old 03-26-2009, 08:51 AM   #11
(female)

victorian HB User

Good morning, thank you!

Actually probably just as well to let that job go for now. It really is too much to juggle. I have the two part time jobs, am in college full time and am going through a divorce after 22 years of marriage, on top of the cervical and other medical issues - on top of being burglarized twice this fall. Like I said, a country song! You do have to laugh: there is always someone worse off than you. I could go on and on about the other Terrrrrible Things, but my violin is out of tune.
I am a writer and a stand-up comic. You see, we comics hide the pain behind the humor. It's quite a useful trait, really. I would very much like to be laughing my head off right now: I am a smaller person and I took the maximum dose on the pain pills...Really BIIG mistake. Just threw up the antibiotic, after spasming all night on the pain pills. Had to call my poor, elderly blind mother who lives next door to feel her way over in the pitch black to sit with me last night because I was scared because my heart was beating so erratically. She really is so special, helping me, nothing like a Mom. She had to feel her way around my kitchen and make me some toast to help with the nausea. Glad it was bread she found to feed me, and not something else, accidentally - like toasting me up a half of a flip-flop, or something. You really can't trust these old blind ladies. They mean well, heart in the right place and all that.
I'm going to go start some new threads about other questions. Really glad I found this very helpful, supportive forum.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:13 AM   #12
(female)

Drain Bamaged HB User

In the name of learning all sorts of acrynyms & even spelling...

What's LEEP

So glad to read you took care of business in getting the "botics" and doing much better.

Love your humor....

Best Regards DRAIN BAMAGED

Old 03-26-2009, 09:34 AM   #13
(female)

victorian HB User

Good morning!
LEEP is... not that cute jumping frog on your reply ... it is...loop electrosurgical excision procedure to remove affected cervical cells from your cervix
Take Care!
Victorian

Old 03-26-2009, 08:18 PM   #14
(female)

Drain Bamaged HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorian View Post
Good morning!
LEEP is... not that cute jumping frog on your reply ... it is...loop electrosurgical excision procedure to remove affected cervical cells from your cervix
Take Care!
Victorian
Thank-You for the information, I am sorry to read you've had to go through this procedure. In deep respect of the stress before, during and after.
I Do hope all is well, as you heal....

Warmest Regards

Victorian ~
I double checked after reading your reply~ in consideration of ~
to make sure that I didn't post anything that would mock or seem insensitive to the
subject at hand and the seriousness of the posts as a whole.

to me, I viewed it as a bouncing ball~ as lightheartedness, encourgement, bouncing for joy or gladness. I've not seen bouncer as a frog.

Last edited by Drain Bamaged; 03-26-2009 at 08:47 PM.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:21 AM   #15
(female)

MJV HB User

Victorian, What did you end up doing? I had my LEEP done one week ago as of tomorrow, the blood and most of the discharge is gone, but I still have tiny black pieces of what looks like charred flesh and smells like rotting carcus coming out of me! It smells completelt foul, like roadkill, or a dead body. I had this happen once before, and it was that the dr left some live skin attached to some dead skin that was hanging inside of me! And it worries me that the actual procedure, after the local anesthesia, took literally ONE minute! The smell is getting better, it is still there, but not as ripe, because a couple days ago, I couldn't even stand to be with myself, I have been putting anti-bacterial wipes with aloe vera on the area, because it was burning my outsides too when I peed!! It seems like you and I have the same symptoms, and I am wondering if yours just healed or you went to the dr? I have no more pain or bleeding, just tiny black particles coming out, and that rotted carcus smell, like a corpse or something. I won't even leave the house because I am afraid someone will smell me!! I didn't see the doctor actually "remove" the abnormal cells, so I assume, that this shedding is me healing myself. Because if there were an infection, I would have pain right? I was not prescribed any antibiotics at all. I HATE going to doctors and hospitals more than anything, and since it is decreasing, I am hoping it is just the natural process of healing. < edited > let me know if your symptoms went away on their own, I would really appreciate it!! I had no idea so many of us out there are getting this done. The hospitals are surely making millions from us HPV girls...and we all know it heals itself in 2-3 years. I don't get why they don't just let us heal. Oh wait, I forgot, they probably make $10,000 or better for this 5 minutes procedure! But all the poor women, with fear and what we go through. The last month of Summer and not only can I not swim or bathe, but I can't even go out because of this rotting dead meat smell! Well, thanks for the ear and the help. If anyone has healed naturally after experiencing the foul roadkill smell coming out of your vagina, please let me know. I wish you ladies all the best of healing, health and happiness!!

Truly,
Melanie

Last edited by hb-mod; 07-19-2010 at 03:51 AM. Reason: Please do not post personal information, such as real name and/or email.

Closed Thread