It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2009, 10:17 AM   #1
(female)

Cinderella12 HB User
DES - any daughters out there?

I recently was asked by my gyn if my mother took DES while pregnant with me. She said my cervix is shaped a little differently, classic DES malformation. My mom only remembers taking a pre-natal vitamin & doesn't remember anything about DES- she'd never heard of it. I once read that it was so common from 1950's or so through 1971 that it was even in prenatal vitamins. I'm 38.

Can anyone else out there relate to this? I'm 2 weeks leep post-op. DES exposure puts you at greater risk for cervical & vaginal cancer. I have vain 1, the equivalent of cin 1.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: DES - any daughters out there?

I've read what you said, about DES causing problems with women's reproductive organs and it putting women at higher risks of various gyne cancers.

My mother did not take DES with any of us (5 live births and 1 late-first-term pregnancy).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2009, 12:55 PM   #3
(female)

JessicainCanada HB User

What is DES a prenatal supplement?

Old 03-29-2009, 01:41 PM   #4
(female)

Cinderella12 HB User

This is from the CDC website- (I had no pregnancy issues whatsoever)

DES Daughters are defined as women born between 1938 and 1971 who were exposed to DES before birth (in the womb). Research has confirmed that DES Daughters are at an increased risk for:

Clear cell adenocarcinoma (CCA), a rare kind of vaginal and cervical cancer

Increased risk for clear cell cancer appears to be highest for DES Daughters in their teens and early 20s. However, cases have been reported for DES Daughters in their 30s and 40s (Hatch, 1998).

Reproductive tract structural differences (for example, T-shaped uterus)

Pregnancy complications, such as ectopic (tubal) pregnancy and pre-term delivery

Infertility

Old 03-29-2009, 02:09 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

luvbug412 HB Userluvbug412 HB User

Diethylstilbestrol

It was prescribed to prevent miscarriages though very little evidence of its actual success was ever officially published.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:11 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

DES was given for misscarriages but by 73 it really was not being used much anymore. I had my first child in 73 and last in 88.....

One thing you might want to ask your Mother is if she took Birth Control pills back then.... if she may have taken the pills the first few months she was pregnant with you. Just a thought. Those pills back then were very strong. Or any birthcontrol or hormone shots prior to getting pregnant with you.

Prenatals were prenatals back then, nothing but vitamins and minerals in them. They did give Bendictin for morning sickness back then and it was pulled for some side effect. It did not have any estrogen in it. You might want to look it up. I took it for morning sickness. I think if was a form of B6.

Back then when you went for your 6 week check up they automatically gave you valium and diet pills even if you were skinny.......when I think back I cannot believe it ........ they were nuts back then. Diet crazy.

Hope you find some answers......... Oleander

Old 03-30-2009, 05:59 AM   #7
(female)

Cinderella12 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleander53 View Post
DES was given for misscarriages but by 73 it really was not being used much anymore. I had my first child in 73 and last in 88.....

One thing you might want to ask your Mother is if she took Birth Control pills back then.... if she may have taken the pills the first few months she was pregnant with you. Just a thought. Those pills back then were very strong. Or any birthcontrol or hormone shots prior to getting pregnant with you.

Prenatals were prenatals back then, nothing but vitamins and minerals in them. They did give Bendictin for morning sickness back then and it was pulled for some side effect. It did not have any estrogen in it. You might want to look it up. I took it for morning sickness. I think if was a form of B6.

Back then when you went for your 6 week check up they automatically gave you valium and diet pills even if you were skinny.......when I think back I cannot believe it ........ they were nuts back then. Diet crazy.

Hope you find some answers......... Oleander
Thank you so much for your input. How crazy is it that there was so much intervention? I still get crazed now when I hear of all the pitocin being given out there to crank up labor.

I think I'll know more when I talk to my doctor. Not sure if it makes any difference to know for sure whatsoever- I have the characteristics & that's really all that matters at this point.

I also think I should be somewhat grateful for not knowing something that would have just caused undo anxiety.

Closed Thread