It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2009, 10:15 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Endocervical brushing? (ECB)

I was looking for some information and came across an abstract that talked about ECB vs and ECC (endocervical curettage).

From what I understand the ECB is liquid based (I assume kind of like how the liquid-pap is better than the "traditional" slide-type pap). From what I understand it gave more accurate readings than the ECC.

I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2009, 10:26 AM   #2
(female)

Elizabeth1975 HB User
Re: Endocervical brushing? (ECB)

I've never heard of an ECB before, but the last oncologist I saw said that she uses something called a "cytobrush" to check the canal in pregnant women. Maybe she uses it all the time, but in the context of our discussion we were talking about those that are pregnant.

Did the abstract talk about a difference in instruments used for the sampling?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2009, 10:38 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

LilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB User

Think the cytobrush is the ECB . . . I'm defintely asking the gyn/onc on Tuesday!

Old 04-04-2009, 12:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

It said the ECB was comprised of two or more brushings with a liquid-based cytology and cell-block examination. Whatever that means.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:32 AM   #5
(female)

BE 123 HB User

I think some sort of ECB is part of LBC (ThinPrep or SurePath) but I am not sure. LBC can be performed in one step or two, and I think mine have usually been two, a spatula for the outside and various pointy things for the inside. I would love to know more about whether ECB are liquid or conventional paps from those of you who have appointments with more knowledgeable doctors coming up. I've read a few studies that suggest ECB is more sensitive than ECC, but I've also read a few studies indicating they were par.

Closed Thread