It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2009, 02:57 PM   #1
(female)

jenniferab HB User
Biopsy results are in - CIN 1

What a relief to finally have the results! I don't have a hard copy of my report yet but one biopsy came back with LGSIL and the other with HGSIL - CIN 1. I have a LEEP scheduled for next Thursday.

SO.... I have two questions. One - what was the LEEP like and the recovery afterward? I was surprised by my discomfort from the Colposcopy so I'm hoping to go into the LEEP a bit more prepared.

Two: What has been other people's experience with CIN 1 being resolved after a LEEP? Does anyone have any feedback to give as far as what CIN 1 means?

I'm looking forward to hearing other stories about this issue.

Thanks!

Jen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2009, 03:23 PM   #2
(female)

jenniferab HB User
Re: Biopsy results are in - CIN 1

And now I'm thoroughly confused after reading some CIN 1 info. Maybe the LGSIL is CIN 1 and the rest is different?

I think I need to stop by and just pick up a copy of my report. Why are they so reluctant to give you the pathology? It isn't like I'm self diagnosing... I just want to understand it. It is annoying.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2009, 03:50 PM   #3
(female)

mysmallwhite HB User

I got confused.
You said LGSIL and the other with HGSIL - CIN 1?
I dont get it. CIN I= LGSIL, CIN II/III= HGSIL as I understand.

It is definitely a great news for you if it is only CIN I.
and also, as I known CIN I can wait and see without any procedure done, isnt it?

anyways, Congratuations Jennifer!!!
I hope my colpo on May 14th would be as good as yours!!!
hohoho! ^^

Old 04-22-2009, 03:52 PM   #4
(female)

mysmallwhite HB User

oh By the way, Jennifer . what was the pap smear result says again?
just want to see if the pap result agree with the colpo.
thank you~!

Old 04-22-2009, 04:02 PM   #5
(female)

jenniferab HB User

Yeah that is why I am confused too. What the PA said on the phone contradicts everything I've read. I'm going to stop in and ask for a copy of my pathology.

I am definitely scheduled for a LEEP next week and I know that he wouldn't do it with CIN I. I'll post the findings when I pick them up - hopefully I can stop by this afternoon.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:09 PM   #6
(female)

jenniferab HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysmallwhite View Post
what was the pap smear result says again?
Pap showed HGSIL, Colpo lead to two biopsies. One came back HGSIL and the other was LGSIL.

She didn't have the chart in front of me when she was talking to me. Which sounds completely dumb to me - why would you talk to a patient about something that could range from no biggie to potentially serious without having the chart in front of you????

Anyway, I don't feel like waiting for a fax so I'm just going to drop in when I get a chance. I'm a little nervous about it because I have a great relationship with everyone at my doctor's office and have never had an issue until now. For whatever reason, I am getting really vague answers about this and she was iffy about giving me the report. She has been very contradictory about this issue. The people who answer the phone just pass me off to a PA and the PA is confusing me to death. I love my doctor but he is hard to get to sometimes. I know that I have a right to the report, I just don't want to damage the relationship and make them think that I'm second guessing them.

Any suggestions on how I can approach this without creating tension? Maybe this is all in my head but I don't plan on leaving my doctor and I don't want to create an awkward situation.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:13 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

LilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB User

I think the way to deal with this is exactly what you are doing: go in and ask for a copy of the pathology reports. You don't have to explain to them why you want them, but if they ask, I'd just say something like how having the reports helps you to understand.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:03 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

LEEP generally isn't done for CIN 1 unless it's persisted for awhile without receding. My CIN 1 progressed to CIN 3 in less than 6 months, but that's not typical.

My LEEP was very easy. I had it done in an operating room, but I declined general anesthesia, so I was completely alert. I believe most often it's done in the doctor's office. You lie back in stirrups just like you do during a colpo or Pap. The doctor inserts a speculum and uses a needle to inject lidocaine into your cervix. I felt the first injection, but it was only a tiny pinch. I didn't feel the other shots at all. Then they apply a vinegar solution to cause the dysplastic areas to turn white so they can see where to cut. The doctor turns on the electrocautery loop which also has a little vacuum, so it makes a whirring noise. The doctor uses the loop to remove the affected tissue. I didn't feel this. It took less than 30 seconds. Maybe as few as 10. The actual procedure is extremely brief. After removing the tissue, they insert a tiny little cauterizing tip and cauterize the wound. This was mildly uncomfortable for me, but completely bearable.

The procedure itself took less than 5 minutes and was easier than the biopsies during the colpo. It was a breeze.

I had mild to moderate cramping for about 8 hours afterward. It felt just like menstrual cramping. By the next day I felt completely normal. I didn't have any bleeding at any point, but did have some kinda gross discharge for a few weeks after. Overall, so easy.

Last edited by Timber; 04-23-2009 at 09:06 AM.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:12 AM   #9
(female)

aes5j HB User
Wink Re: Biopsy results are in - CIN 1

I had my LEEP a week ago and I thought it was TONS better than the colpo and biopsy I had recently. I'd had the colpo and biopsy twice before but the most recent one was loads more painful than the previous ones had been and it took about 30 minutes for the doctor to get me to stop bleeding. I was worried going into the LEEP and reading people's horror stories online didn't help but, for me, it was incredibly simple. My gyno's office is always busy and unfortunately my appointment was on a crazy day for them so I ended up waiting for over an hour. Other than the wait, the worst part was the speculum being put in (apparently I have a long and narrow vagina) but that was no worse than usual. I felt the shots of novocaine go in and they caused a little bit of cramping but they were still less painful than the biopsies. I was numb pretty quickly and the excision itself took all of 5 seconds, I didn't feel a thing. He had to use a little bit of Monsel's solution to make sure I didn't bleed but the whole procedure didn't take more than 5 minutes. I lay on the table for a minute or two afterward just to make sure that I wasn't woozy or anything and then got up. I'd never had novocaine before and I now know that I don't mind getting it because I felt high as a kite for about an hour afterward and didn't have any pain. That evening I had some pain, mostly when getting up and sitting down, and for a few days my hips were sore. I also noticed some cramping for a day or two after the procedure. I've barely had any spotting but do have a watery/light tan discharge that I wasn't expecting but is apparently totally normal. Basically, it's been a breeze.
My big tips for the LEEP would be to try to relax because being stressed/tense can only make things worse, take some ibuprofen about 30 minutes before going to the doctor to curb any cramps, try to get someone to drive you in case you have the reaction with the novocaine that I did (not that I'm complaining!), and treat yourself afterward because you deserve it.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:13 AM   #10
(female)

Cinderella12 HB User

My experience with LEEP was a little different.

I had general, and my other option was a spinal. I chose general because I just don't want to hear that whirring sound- or smell the cauterizing, or watch people over me. I was in the hospital for this- the whole thing was really only a couple of hours- in the door & out.

Watery discharge for a week, then my period which was very heavy for me. It also lasted longer. I couldn't tell if the blood I still had was from the leep or period, but at my 3 week post-op appt. my doc applied that solution & bleeding stopped for good the next day.

I had no cramping at all. I was sore- my cells are all messed up so my doc had to biopsy my vagina, too. Not fun! The pain wasn't anything that ibuprofen couldn't take care of.

My next period was back to normal. Overall- not bad, I wish I'd gone in sooner to stop that bleeding spot.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:04 AM   #11
(female)

jenniferab HB User

Thanks for the replies everyone. Life has been crazy lately so I still haven't gotten my report but I will do soon so that maybe I can understand better and make sure that the LEEP is the right procedure.

I'm feeling very sour on doctors right now so I think I'm making excuses to not go but I'll be a grown up and do it eventually.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Old 04-24-2009, 11:08 PM   #12
(female)

oldfashiongirl HB User

I had a LEEP done earlier this month and just wanted to give you a heads up regarding something many women experience that I haven't seen anyone else mention yet. The numbing shot they give you in the cervix might make your heart race for a bit and your body shake. I am a TOTAL whimp when it comes to these procedures so I was under some sedative medication, but I still remember my body shaking and my heart racing. It passes quickly but I can imagine that it would totally freak someone out who wasn't prepared for it.

Other than that, I really haven't had many problems at all. I had four areas removed for CIN III, but I had no cramping during or afterwards. Just tenderness. I took three days off work (only really needed the day of the appointment off and the next day to rest but I have a very generous boss who I don't think likes to hear me talk about my cervix ),two weeks off of working out (oh, shucks!), and no heavy lifting either for about two weeks.

I think the worse thing for me is that we had a hot tub installed during this time and my doctor won't let me use it until my follow up appointment which is this Tuesday! I hope I am all healed so I can jump right in.

Please let us know if you have any other questions - good luck~!

Old 04-25-2009, 10:16 AM   #13
(female)

aes5j HB User

I've heard about some people having that racing heart reaction. I think it has something to do with the epinephrine that is sometimes in the numbing medication. The epinephrine helps the numbing agent to work more quickly but can cause increased heart rate and shaking, it's pretty common and I don't think it usually causes any problems beyond that initial scariness. Personally, I had no problem with it but everyone's bodies react differently and they may also give different kinds of medications to different patients.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:06 PM   #14
(female)

jenniferab HB User

The PA that scheduled my LEEP told me that the Lidocaine has adrenaline in it and that my heart would race and my legs might shake pretty bad for fiteen minutes or so.

I'm taking Thursday and Friday off because after my colposcopy, I was very uncomfortable and I'm anticipating the same. I'm pretty prone to cramping so I am planning to relax a little bit. I'm really not scared or worried any more. I'm not looking forward to the LEEP, but I'm hoping that this is the last of it.

I did just get my pathology report back and here are the results:
"Diagnosis:
A. Exocervix, 12:00 (biopsy):
-Low grade squamous intraepithelial lesion (mild dysplasia and evidence of human papilloma virus infection.)

B. Cervix, 12:00 (biopsy):
-High grade squamous intraepithelial lesion (moderate dysplasia).
-Evidence of human papilloma virus infection."

Listed beneath that is the doctor's name and number who made the final diagnosis and then descriptions of the tissue that was submitted.

I'm a little bit annoyed that the PA told me that it was CIN1 when there is no association with CIN anywhere on my report and also that there isn't anything like that on the report. This seems really vague. I have no idea what strains of HPV, what severity other than "moderate" and I don't know if I should discuss this with my doctor or call the doctor who diagnosed the biopsy. I don't know why I'm so afraid of upsetting people but I just want some more detail.

Grrrr.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:25 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

LilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferab View Post
"Diagnosis:
A. Exocervix, 12:00 (biopsy):
-Low grade squamous intraepithelial lesion (mild dysplasia and evidence of human papilloma virus infection.)

B. Cervix, 12:00 (biopsy):
-High grade squamous intraepithelial lesion (moderate dysplasia).
-Evidence of human papilloma virus infection."
Okay, hopefully I can clear things up a bit:

A. mild dysplasia=CIN 1
B. moderate dysplasia=CIN 2

I highly recommend calling and demanding to speak to the doctor before your appointment in order to discuss what exactly he plans to do. I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable having a LEEP without discussing what exactly they are going to do.

How much is removed is generally considered "doctor's choice." Some like to remove well beyond the lesion (which increases the risk of preterm birth), some like to just get the lesion (and risk not having clear margins and having to have another LEEP). It seems most doctors just make this call for you, but what risks you want to take should be YOUR choice and not your doctor's!

I had 2 biopsies, and one was CIN 1, and one was CIN 2. I specifically spoke with my gyno about how she was just going to be as conseravtive as possible. She would only remove the worst area and then hopefully my body would fight off the rest. She purposefully left the CIN 1 alone.

Last edited by LilyL21; 04-27-2009 at 01:29 PM.

Closed Thread