It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2009, 07:58 PM   #1
(female)

fairy tale HB User
Pain months after Leep

Hi everyone,
I have been reading a lot of the posts here and I haven't seen anyone post the issues I have been having. I would really like to know if anyone else is experiencing the same thing.

I guess I will start at the beginning.

I had an abnormal pap when I went in for my first appointment after getting pregnant. The hospital scheduled me a colpo with in a few weeks. I was really scared but expecting it to be nothing. The midwife who did my colpo (now that I think about it seems odd that it wasn't a doctor) said that she saw a lot of the abnormal cell areas and was going to do a biopsy. She went on to explain that it is not a normal procedure to take a biopsy when you are pregnant but in my case she thought it was warranted. Now I was terrified! So the biopsy comes back high grade and they schedule me for a colpo 6 weeks after I give birth.

When I went back in for the follow up colpo,the intern interviewed me and said point blank "how many sexual partners have you had!? You know that this is related to promiscuity!" right in front of my husband! I was livid, literally seeing red I was so angry. For one that isn't something that my husband and I ever talked about and I can't believe that he would just say that with out first saying he had some private questions to ask me. Then he asked me to undress and was actually thinking I would let him look at my vagina after basically calling me a **** in front of my husband.

I may have been being emotional and over reacted, but I told him to leave and asked for the supervising doctor to do it. The doctor did the colpo (but had the a-hole intern come in and look) and he said he didn't see anything of concern; Intern said "what about that and that" Doctor said nope nothing to note, that I probably shed all the problem cells when I had my baby and not to worry about a thing. Whew what a relief! I called my family and we all celebrated. Dumb.

I didn't hear anything back for a week so I decided to call and follow up because I was having pain during sex...could have been still healing from the baby but it had been over 2 months so I was slightly concerned.

I kept calling and the people at the office had no idea what I was talking about or who I was, all they dealt with was OB issues. Um ob/GYN I had 2 colpos there???
10 days later I get an email forwarded to me from my husbands work email that was from the doctor saying I had sever pre-cancerous changes and I needed to have a LEEP as soon as possible. NO call from the doctor, nurse, anyone. They EMAILED IT TO MY HUSBAND AT WORK!!! I am still furious about this. My husband works for the government and has a highly monitored email system. Isn't this a violation of some privacy act or something?

Anyway I am getting off track.

I went in to have the LEEP but before hand I told them I was upset about the callous way they handled my feelings and privacy and that I was really anxious about the whole thing so could I please have something for my nerves or be put under. "OH no, it is a routine thing and you will be done in 5 minutes" "Don't worry about a thing!"

I did a lot of research and found a lot of people that said it was a no sweat thing so I said ok to the office location. Dumb.

My LEEP took over an hour, in stirrups. I had to listen to them chat to each other about how they couldn't get the bleeding to stop and how this had never happened in the 20 years that he had been doing these. I had to smell the burning of my flesh and it took so long that they had to numb me 3 different times because I could feel them cutting me. Thank god my husband was there to hold my hand and rub my legs while they worked or I would have been in hysterics.

When they finally got the bleeding to stop, the doctor said "okay, well sorry about that. You are all done." and left.
I was left there laying in my blood with no instructions on what to do next. I had to use baby wipes to clean myself up and get dressed. My husband hunted down the doctor in his office to ask if there were any post procedure things I should know.

Standard stuff, no sex for 4 weeks, have a regular pap in 6 months. See you later.

I fee really traumatized by this experience. They called to say that the margins were clean and not to worry about a thing. (Heard that one before) and that I probably didn't need to have another pap for a year, but I could do one in 6 months if I wanted.

So here it is 6 months later. I am going to see a new gyn for the first time tomorrow for the follow up. I am sick to my stomach about it because ever since my LEEP I have had cramping in my low pelvis and sometimes in my back. I have also been having trouble with my bowels, I can go for up to 2 weeks and not have a BM. Sex is often painful too.
Has anyone else had any of those physical symptoms after a LEEP? I am really afraid that this is much worse than they told me.

I have also been struggling with this emotionally. I feel in a sense, "dirty" because of the STD thing and I feel violated and afraid. This totally sucks. I am dreading my appointment tomorrow and the waiting for the results.

Have any of you had trouble with your LEEP or felt any of these same things (both physically and emotionally)?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2009, 08:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: Pain months after Leep

Fairy Tale, I don't even know where to begin.

Maybe to say I suggest you never set foot in that doctor's office again! I can hardly believe the doctor had the intern come back in after you sent the intern from the room. Then there is the intern's comment! ARGH!!! Many people, doctors included (obviously, some interns) are not aware that any sexual partner (not just sexual intercourse) can expose a woman to HPV (which causes cervical (and other areas) dysplasia). A woman doesn't have to have more than one partner, if her partner has had more than one partner.

Please do not allow the intern's callous, prejudice, and uneducated comments hurt you any longer than they already have!

Dealing with cervical issues is bad enough to not have to deal with judgemental comments from a medical (un)professional!

When it comes to the LEEP taking so long, something sounds horribly wrong with that. The burning of the flesh sounds normal, but the multiple shots, the length of time you were in stirrups, and the exceessive (it sounds to me) blood, and the fact that your husband had to hunt down the doctor for post op procedures . . . wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong!!!

Please, let your new doctor know about the things that happened to you. I hope and pray that your new doctor treats you with kindness, compassion, and honesty. I hope this doctor can give you insight and understanding into what is going on in your body.

And bless your husband for staying by your side for all of this. He sounds like a very good man. Not every husband will go with his wife to that type of an appointment.

(((hugs))) Please let us know how your appointment goes tomorrow. You are in my thoughts and prayers!

One quick suggestion, you might want to take a written list of questions/concerns to this appointment. Leave some room to write your answers. My doctor likes to see my list so she gets a quick idea of the topics. Sometimes she realizes things are related, when I don't see it. She also is able to answer multiple quesitons at a time.

Again, let us know how tomorrow goes!!!

Old 04-24-2009, 06:01 AM   #3
(female)

cody48 HB User

For some reason I stopped at your post and can't believe all that you had to go through. PLEASE don't ever go back to see that doctor. I would write a letter to AMA or SOMEONE concerning this man's behavior and lack of information.

I could go on and on but "Pickle Eyes" has said it all. Please let us know what is going on with you as soon as you are able.

God bless! And what a wonderful husband you must have.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:47 AM   #4
(female)

fairy tale HB User

Thank you all so much. Just hearing that I am not being over emotional about everything has really helped me validate my feelings. I will take your advice and write a list of my concerns. I am a little lost on what to ask though. Cody and Pickle, can you help me with what I need to be asking?

I am so frustrated with myself for feeling ignorant. I have never had to go through anything like this.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:21 AM   #5
(female)

fairy tale HB User

Has anyone else experienced bleeding like this during their LEEP?

Old 04-24-2009, 07:45 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

Your doctor's office sounds pretty unprofessional.

Most LEEPs are quick and easy but occasionally someone will have hemorrhage or complications. That can't necessarily be blamed on the doctor without knowing more information about whether unforeseen difficulties arose in your specific case, or whether the doctor was somehow incompetent.

But the promiscuity comment was out of line for sure. Promiscuity increases the risk of acquiring STDs but as we all know, it can just take one time, too.

I think you need to mention your lingering symptoms to your doctor. Or find a new doctor. It's normal to have some pain or light bleeding for a few months after LEEP, but your symptoms sound extreme. Best to get looked at be sure everything is ok.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:16 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

LilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB User

Wow, Fairy Tale, I can't even tell you how unbelievable that whole story is!! I mean, I believe you, but I just can't get my mind around how horrible that was.

When some uninformed people make assumptions about me having HPV, I like to tell them: What makes you think you don't have HPV??? Usually they have not been tested.

I didn't have bleeding like that during the LEEP. My understanding that's pretty abnormal. I haven't had any pain either, but I think you should probably mention that to your doctor. I think that could be possibly be attributed to the healing process.

I hope this new doctor is better than the last!!!

Last edited by LilyL21; 04-24-2009 at 09:17 AM.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:21 AM   #8
(female)

fairy tale HB User

Well I am all done with the follow up. THANK GOODNESS I CHANGED DOCTORS. My new Doc was professional and caring.

She asked my husband to leave durning the discussion part so that I would feel comfortable telling her everything. I thought that was very respectful.

I explained that I had a horrible experience up to now and that communication was very important to me. She let my husband back in and performed the exam. I am so grateful that my husband is willing to be my advocate.

Anyway, she said that she was having a hard time getting a good look at my cervix and I had to end up putting my fists under my backside to tilt my pelvis. That is a first for me! There was some scar tissue from where the first doctor had cauterized the cervix so many times and that it was still red. She said that is probably why I was having the pain during intercourse. She couldn't find any explanation for the cramping other than still healing from both the birth and then the complications from my LEEP.

She said to come back in a few months if I still have issues with penetration and she will take another look at the scar tissue.

They send the results out so I wont know what they are for 10-14 days. I will keep you all posted.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:00 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Excellent that you like the new doctor! It's annoying that you aren't fully recovered from the LEEP, but al least you have an explanation for the pain.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:57 AM   #10
(female)

srchprincess HB User

Grrrr this story makes me SO mad. Fairy Tale, you are an amazing woman for going through this and still having the strength to continue! I would report this immediately to the AMA and tell the new doctor everything. Sending the email could be a violation of HIPPA as well.

I would ask the following questions about the LEEP
1. How much was removed?
2. How much scar tissue has formed?
3. What could have happened to cause the issue? (they usually do not like to speculate so I would ask if they would call the doctor and get his take on the procedure. This should not only get you some more information but also let the doctor know that you are not going to just accept his behavior)

Old 04-24-2009, 06:06 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Fairy Tale, I am so glad that you had a good appointment with this doctor! What a huge relief!

(((hugs)))

Old 04-25-2009, 11:39 AM   #12
(female)

BE 123 HB User

My jaw dropped when I read your story. I live in the bible belt and don't have access to the best or most knowledgable doctors, but no doctor I've seen so far has ever passed judgment on me for having hpv (and hsv2). I am so sorry, but happy you are settled with a better doctor. And what a great hsb you have!

I hope you can find resolution to your pain/post-leep problems. The bowel issues especially need attention. There are nerves down there (everything is innervated by different nerves) and when I had my treatment, I suddenly the urge to "go"--both pee and poo--and I told the doctor I was afraid I'd do both on him during the procedure! So I imagine hitting something the wrong way could cause problems in the future. Best of luck getting it all sorted.

p.s. Midwives can perform colpos so long as they are properly trained and it seems the one you saw knew what she was doing (she accurately predicted high grade). Sometimes ARNPs are better at them than docs since docs tend to be more ob-oriented. I've had one obgyn who lost a bx specimen inside me and another who does colposcopies without the colposcope, so a well-trained nurse or midwife is a-ok.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:46 PM   #13
(female)

fairy tale HB User

The wait for the results is killing me!! I thought I would be fine but here I am today looking up the number to call the doc and then closing the book saying give them a week, then looking it up again, and closing the book thinking ...what the hell am I doing they said it would take 10 days?

The waiting awful. I am being so snippy too. My mind keep going..hmm what did I need from the store, man I really hope there isn't anything bad on my pathology. Crap, what was it I needed to get again...I should call and get the results the wait is killing me. Stop it brain!

Old 04-29-2009, 02:51 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

How long ago did you go? I'd start calling after 3 or 4 days. Just be polite and ask if they have your results in yet.

Waiting SUCKS. No need to wait if you don't have to!

Old 04-29-2009, 03:01 PM   #15
(female)

fairy tale HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyL21 View Post
How long ago did you go? I'd start calling after 3 or 4 days. Just be polite and ask if they have your results in yet.

Waiting SUCKS. No need to wait if you don't have to!
last Friday is when I went. I think I am going to call them in the morning!

Closed Thread