It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2009, 12:46 PM   #1
(female)

kosm HB User
Ovarian Cysts and Glandular cells on pap

Ok, I had a pap come back with Atypical Endocervical Glandular Cells. It said that I had background inflammation, whatever that means. I have an endometrial biopsy on the 22nd. I am soooo scared. To make matters worse, I feel like I have an ovarian cyst. My breasts are sore, my ovaries hurt, I am bloated, feel like I am PMSing, but I am not. Does this mean I have Ovarian Cancer? I am 32.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2009, 05:44 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

zoe96 HB User
Re: Ovarian Cysts and Glandular cells on pap

Hi there --

I don't know much about cysts, but as for the atypical glandular cells on your pap, is your doctor planning to do a colposcopy AND an ECC? The endometrial biopsy is one thing, but I would also be pushing for an ECC (which is a scraping of the inside of the cervical canal) so that they can assess what exactly is going on with the cells up there. I don't want to scare you, but glandular issues are more difficult to detect, and nothing to be messed around with. An endometrial biopsy will not necessarily (and probably won't) give you an accurate read on what's going on with the glandular cervical cells. I would definitely make sure that your doctor is going to do a colposcopy, if not a LEEP or cone biopsy to make sure nothing is missed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2009, 05:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

The atypical endocervical glandular cells mean that the cells that are inside the cervical canal (also called the cervical os) are atypical. Inflammation usually goes along with abnormal cervical cells. I'm glad to know that your doctor is doing an endometrial biopsy. I'm curious, will the doctor also do an ECC (endocervical curettage)? It is the only non-surgical way to sample the cells in the cervical canal. The Endo biopsy won't do it. It samples the uterine lining - not the cervical os. With the atypical endocervical glandular cells, I HIGHLY suggest you ask your doctor about the ECC.

The ovary tenderness is most likely not from the pap biopsy results. That is something to ask your doctor. As far as I know, the ovaries do not have glandular cells.

Did you get a copy of your pathology report?

Let us know how you are doing!

Old 05-05-2009, 05:48 PM   #4
(female)

kosm HB User

He is doing an ECC as well. Does an ECC hurt? What about an endometrial biopsy? I am having symptoms of huge ovarian cyst right now and am scared to death. It feels like it is rupturing. I am so afraid that the pap results and these symptoms mean I have ovarian cancer. I am sitting here with tears in my eyes, glued to google and checking this forum every 5 minutes. I am so distraught right now, I do not know what to do. I am so scared. So very scared.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:53 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

I see that I must have been typing at the same time that Zoe was. :waves to zoe:

I'm sure the ovary pain/discomfort is quite distracting. Have you told your doctor about the pain? What has he/she said? Has he/she ordered the CA125 test? It isn't a great indicator, but it is something the doctor orders to check ovarian function. Many things can cause the CA125 results to be too high (and out of range).

The ECC is quite uncomfortable, but only for 15 seconds or so. Given the option of not knowing what is going on in the canal because of not having an ECC vs the moments of discomfort and knowing what is doing on . . . I'd pick the ECC and discomfort.

Endocervical glandular cell dysplasia is something you want checked out. The ECC is the best (nonsurgical) way to check it out. The next option would be surgery (preferably a cold knife cone biopsy, or perhaps a LEEP).

Old 05-05-2009, 06:09 PM   #6
(female)

kosm HB User

I am having serious symptoms right now of Ovarian cysts. My breasts are sore, my back hurts, pelvic pain, bloating, I am so scared this means cancer. How bad does the ECC hurt? OMG, this is a nightmare.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:30 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

zoe96 HB User

Hi again --

My first suggestion would be to read the thread by curiousmom, to which I just responded re: symptoms, pains, et cetera....I think it may make you feel better (and in the spirit of not clogging up the boards and having mods yell at me for double posting, please go read that post!).

My experience with the ECC was even more mild than Pickle's ::waves back at ya:: I'd say I had a pinching for less than 3 seconds, and by the time I noticed it was uncomfortable it was over. If you've never had issues like this before, I know it's quite scary, but in retrospect, it is really nothing.

The glandular findings are NOT related to ovarian cancer, however, could indicate cervical problems. I don't want to scare you, and there is no reason to be scared at this point, but you want to find out the cause of the abnormal glandular cells. That is what the ECC will do.

Please read my other post, and I think maybe some of your symptoms will go away!! The mind is a powerful thing, and I think perhaps that may be your worst enemy right now No offense intended; we've just all been there!!!

Hope this finds you feeling better!!!

Last edited by zoe96; 05-05-2009 at 06:30 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 05-05-2009, 06:35 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

zoe96 HB User

Yikes, I forgot about the endometrial biopsy. I actually found that more uncomfortable than the ECC. I was told to take a couple motrin an hour or so before my appointment. I definitely found it uncomfortable, but tolerable. This is going to sound gross and a little scary, and although I wasn't happy about it, it really wasn't that bad. They basically use a large Q-tip, pass it through the cervix and into the uterus, where they kind of swipe it around to get a sample of the lining. I'd say the whole thing lasts maybe 20 seconds, if that. My doc counted to ten while she did it, so I knew how close I was to being done. I was cramping for a few hours, but then it subsided and I was fine. None of this stuff is pleasant, but it's also not *that* scary either....and is definitely worth it to find out what's going on. You will be just fine!!!

Old 05-05-2009, 06:45 PM   #9
(female)

kosm HB User

Thank you so much! No offense taken and I am looking for that post, where is it? I REALLY want to read it. I know I have a ovarian cyst, because the pain was horrid. Are you sure that Atypical Endocervical Glandular Cells aren't linked to Ovarian Cancer? I mean, cervical cancer, ok, it is curable, but ovarian cancer is harder to treat. yikes. What is the post subject line that I am looking for?

Old 05-05-2009, 06:54 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

zoe96 HB User

The thread is entitled: Scared. Complex cyst and GI issues. On my screen it is appearing right below this thread.

Endocervical glandular cells are just that -- glandular cells of the endocervix. They are nowhere near the ovaries.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:25 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I was just curious, how have your previous paps been, prior to the atypical endocervical glandular cells?

Old 05-05-2009, 07:45 PM   #12
(female)

kosm HB User

I had a one HSIL pap prior to this one. If an ovarian cyst ruptures, doesn't that mean that it is benign? Isn't rupturing the same as resolving? Does a cancerous cyst burst and go away? I asked this question in a separate thread, but didn't get an answer.

Last edited by kosm; 05-05-2009 at 07:52 PM. Reason: add more info

Closed Thread