It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2009, 01:23 PM   #1
(female)

parker19341 HB User
Spotting after sex / Ovarian Cyst - Ovarian Cancer?

On 2-different occasions I have some spotting after sex, not a lot just a little on the toilet paper and then it stopped. I was dx w/ a small 3 cm ovarian (simple) cyst on my left ovary. Could this be causing the spotting? I know spotting after sex is a sign of ovarian cancer as well.
I spoke to my doctor (well nurse) and they want me to come in, as they state this is not normal and should always be checked. I just recently had my annual exam, and my pap came back normal!

Please help, I'm really scared!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2009, 05:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: Spotting after sex / Ovarian Cyst - Ovarian Cancer?

May I ask how old you are?

I don't know a lot about ovarian problems, but based on your symptom, I suggest you get a pap and ask for an HPV test. The bleeding could be from cervical or uterine problems. Also, ask your doctor if he/she does the thinprep pap. If he/she doesn't, then ask for it.

Has your doctor scheduled another ultrasound to look at your ovaries?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2009, 06:10 PM   #3
(female)

parker19341 HB User

Hi ~
I will be 38 in August. My doctor suggested I have another ultrasound in 8 weeks (next ultrasound is scheduled for Aug).

Old 07-13-2009, 11:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

At your next appointment, you might ask your doctor about a colposcopy with an ECC to determine if the cervix is involved, especially the cervical canal.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:07 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Hello Parker,

PickleEyes has given you some excellent advice. Have the cervix and uterus checked out as this problem is most likely related to either of these. The cervical tests are well outlined in Pickle Eyes' posts.

For the uterus, ask for an endometrial biopsy that is done in the doctor's office, like the other tests. When they do the ultrasound to have a look at the cyst, they should also have a look at the thickness of the uterine lining. Anything less than 1 cm is usually considered normal and anything over may require a D & C to clean out the endometrium and stop the irregular bleeding.

Your cyst is most likely a normal functional cyst that comes and goes with ovulation (it is the right size and consistency for this). Even if it is not and it is an abnormal cyst, its size and the fact that it is only fluid filled, in addition to your premenopausal status, makes it highly unlikely to be anything dangerous so don't go worrying about ovarian cancer. Spotting is most definitely not a main symptom of ovarian cancer (most often it is bloating and bowel problems .. spotting is mentioned in very few cases). If the cyst is still there at the ultrasound and it really concerns you, you may want to see if the doctor can perform a CA-125 blood test which checks for a cancer antigen that is normally present in high numbers with ovarian cancer.

Irregular bleeding happens to many women and at the moment you want to begin to rule things out. Most likely your doctor will do the tests that Pickle Eyes and I mentioned but if not, be ready to ask for them. Know which test is for what and make sure that all of your bases are covered.

Oh and if by any chance you are on the pill, this may also cause irregular bleeding. This is what caused my bleeding problem after I had been on the pill for a very long time. I also had a large ovarian cyst at the time and thought the two could be related but they were not.

Take care and all the best to you.

Estria

Old 07-15-2009, 11:56 AM   #6
(female)

parker19341 HB User

Thank you both ... Estria & Pickle Eyes, you are always so helpful on these forums.

I had a GYN appointment this morning. Upon examining me, she said my cervix, etc looked good, and she didn't see anything unusual. To be on the safe side she did do a Endometrial Biopsy (I think) ... I didn't really get the name of the test she was doing, I know I should of... She did say this would help her see better into the Cervical Canal - (Either way, Can I say, OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). She's supposed to call Monday or Tuesday with the results!

Thanks Again

Last edited by parker19341; 07-15-2009 at 12:00 PM.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:33 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Parker,

Glad to hear that upon first look the gyne did not see anything abnormal.

It is extremely difficult to see inside the cervical canal and I sincerely doubt that your doctor can rule things out simply by "looking" (if only it were that simple). You should know that the regular pap smear only takes cells from the opening of the cervix (which is normally visible to the gynecologist) and not from the canal which is further up (ie. the "neck" between the vagina and the uterus). This is why an HPV test is usually recommended. If it is found that your body is trying to fight off a high risk strain of the human papilloma virus, then a colposcopy would be warranted (as Pickle Eyes has suggested). A colposcopy looks at the cells further up the cervical canal (these would be completely missed by the pap, which takes cells only from the "face" or opening of the cervix and not from the canal).

An endometrial biopsy has nothing to do with the cervix. It tests cells that are lining your uterus and is performed by inserting a type of "straw" all the way into the uterus and then by twirling it while suctioning out tissue from the lining. This is perhaps what your doctor performed as it is the most common test done for spotting at your (our) age.

An HPV test would not be a bad idea and you may want to ask for this when you see your doctor again. Especially if the endometrial biopsy comes back normal (if this is indeed what you had). Don't feel uncomfortable asking questions so that you know exactly what is being done and why. I used to feel uncomfortable but have gotten way past this now and always insist on knowing all of the facts so that I am sure that nothing is being left out.

Best of luck to you. Let us know how everything works out.

Estria

Old 07-15-2009, 02:48 PM   #8
(female)

parker19341 HB User

Thanks!

I think she did more of a colposcopy - I remember her stating that she was going to take the Normal Pap Test one step further ... and take a look inside.
Thanks again. I will let you know once I hear something

Old 07-15-2009, 07:34 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Parker, it is possible that she either took a biopsy of your outer cervix (called a pinch or punch biopsy) or she did an ECC (endocervical curettage). The ECC is basically a pap of the cervical canal. Both of those can cause pain or some sort of discomfort. When you get your results, ask them which tests/samples the doctor took.

May I ask, are you spotting or having an unusual discharge from today's appointment? If so, it is perfectly normal (unless it is a very heavy flow or you have a fever).

Old 07-16-2009, 06:05 AM   #10
(female)

parker19341 HB User

HI Pickle Eyes,

Yes, yesterday I had some discomfort, but only a small amount of brownish blood. Again this morning, I feel very light crampy (just feels like I'm going to get my period), again very light. No fever.
Is it normal to have the feeling my period is coming on? (I shouldn't have that for another week.)

How would I know if Ovarian Cyst is going away? My pelvic pain has gotten alot better, and I'm not tender to touch that area anymore. Is this a good sign. I asked my doctor and she kind of just shook her head .. (Might need to find a better physican...she just doesn't seem to pay attention to much you say).
One time I did bleed after sex, my period came on 3 days later... could this be the reason, does sex sometimes bring on your period?
Sorry for all the questions, but you guys have been great help!

Old 07-16-2009, 10:04 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'd say if you are thinking you need to change doctors, then do it. They are actually your employee - you pay them to help you. Go with your gut instinct on this.

I felt mildly crampy for a day or two after my colpo and ECC (she didn't do the pinch biopsy on me). If you have a really dark, clumpy discharge that looks like used coffee grounds, it is normal. It is from a solution she applied to the cervix. If you don't have that discharge, then she didn't use the solution (because she didn't need to). So yes, the slight cramps are normal.

Most of the time women don't know when their cysts resolve. If they do, it is just a cramping over that ovary. If it is really large it can hurt pretty dern badly.

As far as the bleeding after sex, I'd think it is more likely to spot if you just finished your period (like a day or two later) because your uterus might not have finished emptying out. I could see bleeding the day before, but that starting your period. I'd think anything between those two instances would raise a concern. Did you ever tell your doctor about that bleeding?

Don't worry about the questions. We will do our best to answer them. Of course, you'll want to consult a doctor you trust. Our answers are based on our lay-person knowledge.

Do you know if your doctor ever did an HPV test with your pap? I can't remember what you said.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:32 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

I completely agree with Pickle Eyes (on everything). If you feel that this physician is not taking what you tell her into account then find someone else, preferably through a recommendation so that you don't end up with someone worse. You can also keep this doctor for now and simply seek out a second opinion to see what another doctor would say. This certainly wouldn't hurt.

The only way you will know if your ovarian cyst has resolved is by having another ultrasound. An ultrasound can also look at the thickness of your uterine lining and see if perhaps you have more of a buildup than normal (this can also cause irregular bleeding). Speak to your doctor about scheduling either an external ultrasound or an internal one which she may be able to do herself (the externals are usually done by radiologists).

I also sincerely doubt that having sex can bring on your period, unless you have what is called an incompetent cervix or some other irregularity with your cervix. You should definitely mention this to your doctor and also ask her about the HPV test. You may also want to find out for sure if it was an endocervical curretage or an endometrial biopsy that was done as these are two completely different procedures that look at different things (both will cause spotting after the procedure and the endo biopsy will definitely cause cramping as I imagine might the ECC ... and both of them are uncomfortable because that cervical opening doesn't like to be disturbed). That feeling that your period is coming on is probably due to the procedure of having opened the mouth of the cervix, which usually remains closed and sort of "loosens up" around your period time.

I still remember the incredible sweat that broke over my doctor's face from doing my endometrial biopsy. It was like wrestling a lion or something in order to keep that cervix open and he finally had to clamp it open as he was unable to work properly (not a pleasant experience for the patient). This definitely made my cervix feel "stretched out" for a while after the procedure. Since I had taken a couple of Advil an hour before the procedure, my cramping was kept to a minimum.

Take care of yourself and let us know how things go.

Best.

Estria

Old 07-20-2009, 02:06 PM   #13
(female)

parker19341 HB User

Hi Pickle Eyes / Estria -
I just spoke with Physican Assistant (my doctor was out today). She let me know the biopsy came back fine, that there seemed to be small polyps ... this what was causing the bleeding as she stated. I am calling them back...I guess through the excitement that their wasn't anything major wrong, I didn't really ask the right questions.

How did they find a Polyp through a biopsy, but not by just looking? Is this possible?

Ok, I left them a message. Does my Ovarian Cyst and Polyps connected in anyway?

Last edited by parker19341; 07-20-2009 at 02:33 PM.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:26 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Parker,

I was away last week and just checked back today and say your post.

It is rather strange to find a polyp through a biopsy and I suspect that your doctor may have seen the polyp on your exam and perhaps biopsied it (?). You need to find out exactly where this polyp was seen or found. Polyps can be removed and biopsied and I know that they usually do this for uterine polyps (not sure about cervical polyps but I assume that to be on the safe side, this would not be a bad idea).

Your ovarian cyst would be a separate thing and I think that you need to request another ultrasound to confirm that it is gone. These functional cysts occur as a normal part of our ovulation and usually doctor will keep an eye on them just to be sure that they are indeed normal functional cysts. They usually disappear within 1-3 menstrual cycles. You can have polyps on your ovaries but I suspect that the polyp was seen in either your uterus or your cervical canal.

If you feel that you are not being taken seriously or that the office is brushing your case aside, don't be afraid to seek out medical attention elsewhere. At this point you will want to rule out all known causes for irregular bleeding through the usual tests that we had discussed. If you are still having symptoms after sex then the problem is not solved and more has to be done (even if the symptoms are gone, it is not a bad idea to have the tests, just to be sure). Cervical and uterine tests do exist to find the cause for irregular bleeding so these need to be performed properly in order to rule things out. As for the ovarian cyst, watchful waiting is usually recommended for a period of time and then if a cyst persists or begins to grow, other considerations must be taken into account and surgical removal needs to be discussed.

I hope this helps you a little. Take care and I hope you find an answer soon.

Estria

Old 07-27-2009, 02:20 PM   #15
(female)

parker19341 HB User

Hi~
I spoke further with my GYN, and I confirmed with her that she did a endometrial biopsy. I asked her why the Polyp was not found during the ultrasound, she said sometimes they are missed, as they flatten out (?). She said this is what was causing my bleeding, and ordered me to have a D&C. I made the appointment, but was unable to get in until Sept 22nd. As she said, it's not a rush. She did confirm there was no cancer cells found. Should I be worried that this might be something else that she found?

Closed Thread