It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2009, 02:12 PM   #1
(female)

eklisc15 HB User
CIN 2/3, will i get cancer??

After clear paps for 13 years I had an abnormal one this July that showed HSIL. I had a colposcopy done which showed CIN 2/3. Now I have to have a LEEP.
I am a mental wreck, my husband is in the Army and currently away for school. We had decided this year when he came back from a 15 months deployment we should start to have a baby. I guess thats a no now.
I am terrified of the LEEP. I am stressing myself out about what is the point to even get it done, I will die of cancer anyway.
I can not tell my parents about this because they are both old and have their own problems with Parkinson etc.
My husband just keeps saying ""oh hunny it will all be ok"". Easier said then done. Your not the one with the CIN 2/3.
I am just crying myself to sleep every night and have no motivation of doing anything anymore because I feel like my fate is settled already

Old 09-07-2009, 02:39 PM   #2
(female)

oldfashiongirl HB User
Re: CIN 2/3, will i get cancer??

I know how you feel - I was in a total state of panic and shock when I first started going through this over two years ago now. But, please trust me as one who's been through the same thing - you will get through it.

The fact that you have been getting your annual paps means that you should be in really great shape as the CIN has been caught early. I, however, had neglected to get my paps for like 6 years so I was so worried that I had been developing this problem for many years, which most likely I had. I had a LEEP in March for CIN II/III and my first follow up pap in August came back normal, which is great news.

From your post, it sounds like you have two main concerns: developing cancer and future fertility. CIN is really very common. I read somewhere that 300,000 women a year are treated for CIN III. Whereas about 4,000 women a year die from cervical cancer. So there is a big gap in those numbers. My doctor told me flat out that a huge majority of the women who die of cervical cancer had not seen a doctor for many many years and that the cancer was not identified until it had become invase. So, the fact that you have caught the developing CIN early is very, very good.

Secondly, from what I've read, having a LEEP increases your chance of miscarriage or pre-term labor by a very small percentage. You will see other posts on this board of women who have had to have their entire cervix's removed but are still able to carry a pregnancy due to they type of procedure they had. So there are a lot of options in this regard. I would think that at most, your doctor will probably just want you to wait a few months after your LEEP before trying to get pregnant.

I think everyone on this board can identify with the sense of panic you are going through right now. We've all been there. Hang in there - you will get through this!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2009, 02:47 PM   #3
(female)

eklisc15 HB User

Another thing that is very upsetting to me is the fact that my husband is refusing to basically hold my hand during the LEEP. When I had the colposcopy done it was a living nightmare and now I am even more scared when i read up about the LEEP.
I am wondering if I can ask the OB/GYN for a prescription of valium or some sorts. Because I know I will be a nervous wreck in that chair when they start.
I have the same problem with dentists.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:56 PM   #4
(female)

oldfashiongirl HB User

I too was TOTALLY freaked out about the LEEP. For the two weeks leading up to it, I barely slept or ate - thoughts of the LEEP consumed my life. My colpo had been insanely painful. I was lucky enough to have my husband there holding my hand and he started tearing up seeing the amount of pain I was in. It was bad.

So, for the LEEP, my doctor prescribed me some pretty potent anti-anxiety meds (same stuff that is used to relax some patients at the dentist) and some vicodin for any pain I might feel. I was surprised that the LEEP really wasn't that bad. The colpo was a lot worse. I felt just a slight pinch when they numbed my cervix and after that, it is common to start shaking a little and have a racing heart due to the anesthetic. It will pass quickly though, I just wanted to warn you because it could really freak someone out if they are not prepared for it. But, the LEEP was over and done with super fast.

I would highly recommend getting some anti-anxiety meds though if you are really nervous about it because the more tense you are, the more uncomfortable you will be. I was pretty much out of it, so it wasn't bad at all. But I've heard from women who have gone through it without any meds and found that it was pretty easy as well - almost everyone seems to agree that the colpo is a lot worse.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:27 PM   #5
(female)

Elizabeth1975 HB User

Just to add my two cents, I didn't have a problem with the colpos I've had, but I would say that the LEEP is even easier. All I took beforehand was 800mg of ibuprofen. I honestly didn't feel a thing -- I remember asking the doctor when he was going to do the anesthetic shot and he said that he had already done it! The only uncomfortable thing for me was the racing heart I had after the anesthetic -- it felt like I was in the middle of running a 100-yard sprint, but even that subsided pretty quickly. I would say the procedure only took about five minutes and I had no pain afterward.

Also, as far as the miscarriage thing, all the doctors I've talked to said that one LEEP shouldn't cause any problems. I know that if for some reason your cervix is compromised, the can put a stitch (cerclage) in during pregnancy to keep it closed.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:45 PM   #6
(female)

eklisc15 HB User

So should I call the doc back and ask if some anxiety pills are good/necassary?
Also does anybody know if Vitamin B Complex can help my immune system to fight this on top of this procedure.
Thank you

Old 09-07-2009, 04:10 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

zoe96 HB User

I'm not sure what your doctor will tell you regarding how long you should wait before trying to conceive, but I had a trachelectomy (which removed most of my cervix -- the procedure that oldfashiongirl talked about) and my doc told me to wait four months and then I could try, so having a LEEP does not necessarily mean that you have to radically alter your baby plans

Good luck, and please let us know how you are doing!!

Old 09-07-2009, 04:35 PM   #8
(female)

oldfashiongirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklisc15 View Post
So should I call the doc back and ask if some anxiety pills are good/necassary?
Also does anybody know if Vitamin B Complex can help my immune system to fight this on top of this procedure.
Thank you
I vote yes on the anxiety pills. But you will have to have someone drive you home from the appointment.

I haven't heard of Vitamin B helping. My doctor told me to give Green Tea supplements a shot (I've found it's rare for dr's to say ANYTHING about supplements, but she did) and I've also been taking Beta Glucan and a good multi vitamin. Not sure if they did anything yet as I haven't been retested for HPV since my LEEP.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:42 PM   #9
(female)

Elizabeth1975 HB User

There are clinical trials going on for both green tea and folic acid supplementation in the prevention of cervical cancer. I figure if scientists think there might be a benefit to those things, it's worth a shot.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:59 PM   #10
(female)

jacmay HB User

Four years ago I was diagnosed with AIS, had a cone and clear margins for 3 1/4 yrs I faithfully, took a vit b complex plus other immune boosting drugs this past year I slacked off and basically taking nothing and have recently been diagnosed with AIS again........Has me convinced, Once this new issue is resolved I will be FAITHFULLY taking my vitamins again!!!

O yeah one word on the anxiety...........LEXAPRO.....greatest drug ever, lol...

Last edited by jacmay; 09-07-2009 at 07:00 PM.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:07 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

You are getting some great advice, so I just want to add that I understand your anxiety. I want to send you cyberhugs and real prayers!

Old 09-07-2009, 08:51 PM   #12
(female)

oldfashiongirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacmay View Post
O yeah one word on the anxiety...........LEXAPRO.....greatest drug ever, lol...
The drug I found most helpful was Halcion. I first had it years and years ago when I had my wisdom teeth taken out. The oral surgeon prescribed it to me for the night before and the morning of the surgery to relax me. In addition to being calming, it has an amnesia effect as well. My gyno so kindly prescribed the highest dose for me, along with two vicodin, which really knocked me out. Honestly, they could have been sawing my arm off and I probably wouldn't have noticed. And the amnesia effect really did happen. Luckily my husband was there during the procedure so he could remind me of what the doctor said, what happened, etc. Anyway, just an FYI - my experience has been that you have to find the right med for you as they seem to effect everyone a little bit differently.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:27 AM   #13
(female)

blakey HB User

I had Cin 2/3....13 years ago whan my daughter was a toddler i 2 was very freaked out however let me assure you I have since had another 2 pregnancies 1 just recent and I have never ever had an abnormal pap since so there is no need 2 worry they have got it quick... once you have your little procedures go on and live your life take a deep breath and take each day as it comes ...I also had HPV and they say that can cause it but that to has gone never 2 return one I had the colp and let

I suffer from depression and anxiety and even I have let it go .....Its not proper cancer just ABNORMAL cells key work ABNORMAL not full blown cancer

Old 09-09-2009, 10:43 AM   #14
(female)

eklisc15 HB User

I appreciate everybody's response first of all. In regards to vitamins and all does anybody have any recomendations?
I started taking some womans daily vitamins. Is that enough?
My last blood test in July was ok so no deficiencies.

I always thought I had a good husband but since this has come around I have asked myself why I have been amrried to him for almost 10 years.
To make a long story short he has not provided me with a shoulder to cry on or any support whatsoever. He even made some stu... comments about having to drive me when I have the LEEP done. Like it was an inconvenience to him.

I sometimes blame the Army for the way he acts but not this time. It just makes all this so much harder on me right now. I had considered him my best friend but even my dog shows more concern right now than him.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:52 AM   #15
(female)

oldfashiongirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklisc15 View Post
In regards to vitamins and all does anybody have any recomendations? I started taking some womans daily vitamins. Is that enough?
Most doctors will tell you that a daily vitamin is enough, but make sure it has folic acid. When I first started going through this, I started taking a prenatal vitamin and although I was hoping it would help me kick the infection without surgery (it didn't), my nails have never been longer/stronger and my hair has been looking better too, so it's worth it just for those benefits alone! I have also taken indole-3-carbinol which has shown in some studies as beneficial in fighting CIN, but it can interfere with birth control pills so I am no longer on that. My doctor mentioned trying green tea supplements and then I am taking beta glucan as well. Many people have mentioned taking the DIM supplement, but this too can interfere with birth control pills. Although it is tempting to try and beat this with supplements, I think you will do fine with a multi-vitamin and the LEEP will take care of the rest. I guess I take supplements just to feel like I have some control over something that I really have little control over.

Regarding your husband, I understand your frustration and anger. I view HPV and CIN as something that should be effecting and concerning to BOTH people in the relationship because you BOTH have it. He most definitely has HPV as well, he is just lucky enough that it doesn't cause too many problems in men. If you're feeling mean, you could tell him about the increase risk of penis cancer Maybe that will change his tune. I'm sorry I don't have more advice to offer other than you do deserve to be supported though this time and that it is really wrong that he would make you feel guilty about having to be driven to the appointment! Sheesh.

Closed Thread