It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2009, 05:49 PM   #1
(female)

abbeylaine HB User
Question Septated Ovarian Cyst

Hi.

I have been scouring the internet for information on Septated Ovarian Cysts and have found very little information. I am hoping that someone on this message board can provide some details.

I just came back from my doctor with the news that a recent ultrasound uncovered that I have a septated ovarian cyst, about 2.5cm in size. We had decided to do the ultrasound due to the fact that I have been experiencing many of the symptoms associated with Ovarian Cancer so this new diagnosis is an obvious concern to me.

I have been told to go back after my next menstrual cycle for another ultrasound to see if there is any change in the cyst but I can't imagine waiting that long to get more information. I am 33 with two small children and am quite worried at this stage.

I also had a CA-125 test which has come back ok....not of concern, but based on what I have read online, that is often the case with early-stage ovarian cancer.

What type of cyst is commonly associated with septations? I understand that there are several types, but I have yet to find any information that would point me in the direction of what type of cyst this might be (Dermoid, Endometrial, etc...)

Any info you may have would be much appreciated....thanks in advance!

Old 09-29-2009, 11:08 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

marymk HB User
Re: Septated Ovarian Cyst

Hi abbeylaine,

I have had quite a number of ovarian cysts over the past 4 years. They have always gone away on thier own. I did have a septated complex cyst last year, I think it was about the same size as yours, and that also went away. I was a little worried about it, but since all of my cysts have resolved on thier own, my Dr. was not concerned and I had a re-check in 3 months, and it was gone.
I don't know what kind of cyst it would be - I couldn't find much information either. I woulnt' worry to much at this point - 2.5 cm is pretty small - my Dr.doesn't advocate removing them unitl they are larger - 5 cm I think, or if it persists for a long time. Mine have always been gone, or much smaller when I go for a recheck.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

mary

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2009, 04:40 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Hello Abbey,

Septated cysts sometimes occur simply because two cysts grow together. The septation is the wall of each cyst growing together. It is very difficult to know what kind of cyst you have simply by the fact that it has septations. Very often it could be two simple functional cysts that grew together or two simple serous cysts that grew together. Your ultrasound report would mention what the radiologist thinks it is and what he or she thinks should be done. Try to get a copy of this.

How urgent are your symptoms and what are they ? Also, did they see any fluid in your abdomen on the ultrasound ? The report would mention the fluid as well. Keep in mind that when cysts are symptomatic, the symptoms match those of ovarian cancer so it does not necessarily mean that you have cancer. However, if you are experiencing debilitating symptoms and you cannot function, cyst removal may be a good option for you.

Let us know how you are doing and I hope that cyst manages to resolve on its own over the next few weeks.

Estria

Old 03-11-2010, 07:51 AM   #4
(female)

mojo1234 HB User

Hi Abbeylaine, I too have a septated cyst, I was told it could be a hemorrhagic, teratoma or endometrioma (I also have endometriosis). I've had this one for over 5 months, and it is still there plus I have extreme pain so we are doing the surgery to see if I am covered in endo again and to check my ovary and cyst and cleanup scar tissue form previous surgery. So I am having surgery for several reasons. If you are not in much pain and your doc wants to watch it I would do that first. Good Luck

Closed Thread