It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2009, 03:07 PM   #1
(female)

ksc1968 HB Userksc1968 HB User
laproscopy...intense fear...

Hi ladies,
Im interested in anyone who has had a laproscopy. What was your experience? I am going to be having one soon. Complex cyst has grown a little more, ca 125 levels slightly elevated. Dr is more comfortable going in this time, and not doing any more watch and wait.
Im so nervous. Im more nervous right now about the actual surgery, and I will worry about results when it is over. Did you have to do a bowel prep....any advice on which is best. Seems like the magnesium citrate is the easiest ?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Kelly

Old 10-14-2009, 07:48 AM   #2
(female)

leafy723 HB User
Re: laproscopy...intense fear...

Hi Kelly,

I also have a complex cyst (4.8cm last check- unless it's gone?). I think you replied to my post- thanks! Mine has caused lots of pain increasing around ovulation. I'm scheduled 10/30 for the recheck. My doc was already talking about surgury because of my history and the way this one looked and what the report said. I have had repeated cysts that appear suspicious but then eventually go away. It's common for me to have ultrasounds several times a year. This new one was first found on 9/18- my last ultrasound was last December '08. I'd been ignoring my symptoms for awhile hoping I wouldn't have to go through all the tests. Since I've had cysts often it usually doesn't bother me but this time I'm more worried. The doctor seemed less reassuring.

I've had two laproscopy surguries in the past:
The first one was in 2002 to remove an eggplant size dermoid cyst. The procedure itself was no problem except that I got extremely sick from the meds they put you to sleep with and then the morphine afterwards. I ended up being admitted (should have been outpatient) because I could not stop vomitting. After just having 4 holes (my one cut was over 3 inches) cut in your abdomen, the last thing you want to be doing is vomitting. I missed three weeks of work mainly because my back hurt so bad- according to my doctor the postions they had me in surgury trying to get the huge cyst out may have cause my back problem.

My second laproscopy a few years later to remove scar tissue- I was having constant abdominal pains and they wanted to investigate further. I let EVERYONE know of my last experience over and over. They gave me nausea medication before they even started. I woke up and was home within a few hours. I did take a week off of work mainly because my position involved standing and walking for 8+ hours.
The two surgeries were like night and day as far as recovery and how well I tolerated. I did not need to do the bowel prep for either of mine. I have done the bowel prep for colonoscopies. The colyte (sp?), the liquid that has flavor, I did not tolerate- the whole nauseous thing again. The other time I had to take pills instead- A total of 32 if I remember correctly. If I had to pick, the pills were easier for me but were more expensive.

I hope you can use some of my experience to your benefit- especially if you tend to get sick easily as I do. Even if you don't, the anti nausea medication would be worth asking for, just in case.

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to give you more detail of my experiences. Good luck and keep us posted!

Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2009, 05:44 PM   #3
(female)

ksc1968 HB Userksc1968 HB User

Lisa,
Thanks for the response. Did you have that bad shoulder pain from the trapped gas they put in you ? Im just afraid of being put under. Im kind of a baby about that kind of thing!
I will definitly bring up the nausea issue! Vomiting after an abdominal procedure would not be fun!
Im praying I wont have a bowel prep...sounds like some do it others dont. I meet with my dr on Thurs, so Ill see what she says.
Im just so nervous about this procedure that Im worrying about it...and I dont like to worry, because I know it does no good!
Kelly

Old 11-03-2009, 07:39 AM   #4
(female)

leafy723 HB User

Hi Kelly,

I have not been on in awhile. Have you had your surgury? The shoulder pain for me was bad from what I remember but it only lasted a day or two.

My cyst is still there and now I have "moderate amount of free pelvic fluid". I feel horrible lately. Maybe it's time for this thing to be taken out....!!

Take care,
Lisa

Old 11-03-2009, 10:29 AM   #5
(female)

MRK2489 HB User

I am sorry that you have to go through this. Please don't worry, it isn't
very painful. I had one but didn't have to do a bowel prep. But, I agree with you, Mag Citrate is the easiest.
After the laproscopy you made need pain pills for the first 2-3 days, then OTC should work fine.
Good luck, I will keep you in my prayers.

Closed Thread