It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2009, 07:44 AM   #1
(female)

dizzydc5 HB User
Unhappy Laxative before a LEEP?

I have carcinoma in situ/ CIN III. I'm scheduled for a LEEP on Dec. 3rd of this year. My doctor has warned me that she MAY have to do a cold knife cone if the area is too large for the LEEP, we'll know once she starts the procedure. I was scheduled for the same procedure earlier this month and had to cancel due to financial reasons. Last 'pre-op' visit, they didn't say anything about a laxative. Now, this time around, the doctor wants me to take Fleet Oral laxative? She said its the kind you drink. She wants me to take it the night before the surgery.... In all the research I've done, I have yet to hear of anyone taking a laxative before their LEEP! And also, the Fleet Oral Saline Laxative has been linked to minor kidney damage. That's the only oral 'drinkable' laxative that company makes I think.

Does any one have any information on Fleet products or any helpful information about this situation? If you need more details on my condition, doctor visits or anything, let me know! I have had a bad experience with doctors in the past, so anything that doesn't match up makes me start questioning EVERYTHING!

Old 10-31-2009, 11:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: Laxative before a LEEP?

I didn't need to take a laxative (or otherwise clear my bowels - more than normal) before my CKC. I did have a procedure (can't remember which, I had a half-dozen in a one year timeperiod) that required it. The doctor explained that IF something were to happen and he/she needed to do more than just the scheduled procedure, then the bowels would be clear (to make whatever the newly needed procedure easier and to reduce infection from bowel contents).

It made sense to me and made me MUCH more comfortable with clearing my bowels. Matter of fact, for successive procedures I commented on that information to the doctor and he/she said I could clean my bowels prior, but that I didn't have to.

Good luck with your CKC!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2009, 06:13 AM   #3
(female)

dizzydc5 HB User

Thank you! I know that she is very concerned with how my CIN III is progressing. She didnt want me to even wait this long to have this procedure done. So maybe she is thinking that it would have progressed much further? The biopsy was done about 2 months ago and it was carcinoma in situ at that time. She even rushed and scheduled me to have this done a week after the biopsy came back.
It's almost an un-easy feeling that she feels that she might possibly most likely have to do something more drastic then the orignal plan... what would be next if the CKC doesn't work?
Thank you for the support Pickle Eyes! And I hope your getting through your experience okay too!

Old 11-01-2009, 10:52 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

My doctor did another ECC, a D&C, a uterine biopsy, and the CKC. I had been diagnosed with adenocarcinoma in situ (at that point). I don't think she would have done anything more at that time, even if things were worse than she expected.

If you aren't totally sure what she could possibly do at that time, then ask her what she could possibly do that day (and will be on the procedures release form). You will have to sign a procedures release form (I'm not sure of it's official name) before the day of your procedure. It will list all possible options of what she will and might do. The form has to be signed before you are given any medication.

When I went for my CKC it listed all of those procedures. When I went for my hyst it mentioned what we figured she'd do (LAVH to remove uterus and cervix) and that I gave her permission to do (abdominal radical hyst, and/or removing ovaries if needed).

I hope what I'm about to say will give you some comfort. My CKC diagnosed adenocarcinoma Ia1 (stage 1 cancer). When I went to a gyn/oncologist the week after my CKC she said the cancer was so early that I could decide when to have my hysterectomy as long as I had it within the next 6 months or so. Adenocarcinoma is generally considered more agressive than carcinoma. So I would think that if I had that much time to decide when to have my surgery for AdCA, then the time period you are waiting for CIS is ok. CIS is also easier for a doctor to monitor than AIS/AdCA. I think the time period you are waiting is ok . . . except the workout your nerves are getting!

I also wanted to let you know that I was 44 and didn't have any children (by choice and by chance) and didn't plan to have any. Additionally, I went to my 1 year follow up with my gyn/onc and she released me!!! She told me my cancer was caught so early and my treatment was successful (no need for chemo or radiation for that level of my cancer!) that she didn't need to see me again. She released me back to the care of my regular doctor (I never went to a gyn until this whole ordeal; I'd had had all of my paps done by GPs for FPs up to that point). So, early stages of these cancers (including the in situ) are usually very easily treated.

I wish you peace and understanding as you await your procedures and I hope your doctors are thorough.

Let us know if we can answer any of your questions. There is a wonderful group of ladies who frequent this board

Old 11-02-2009, 07:10 AM   #5
(female)

dizzydc5 HB User

Thank you very much, you have rested my mind for the most part! I have never had surgery as an adult. (MY parents were the ones signing the forms before.) Seeing a "procedures release form" will DEFINITLY help me relax for the actual procedure. I was just sort of afriad I'd wake up and have a big scar across my belly where something went wrong! I'm 25 amd have no children and have never wanted kids. My boyfriend (32 yrs old) feels the same. He actually had a Vasectomy! So I'm all for a hysterectomy. My doctor, however, will not do it. Everyone seems to know me better than I know myself. Everyone thinks that I WILL change my mind. NOPE! So I'm getting the Implanon birth control after this surgery to stop my cycles, for the most part.
One step at a time though! Dec. 3rd cannot come quick enough!
Thanks a bunch again!! These boards are proving to be very comforting and informative! I love the fact that it's for patients, not health care professionals. I'd rather talk to people that have gone through what I'm going through.
To you and anyone else that is reading this thread, thank you for being here for others and good luck with everything and anything that your going through!!!

Old 11-02-2009, 09:25 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am glad you feel someone comforted.

One thing you can tell your doctor is that you are not concerned about maintaining fertility. Many women are, and that is important to tell the doctor so I believe it is equally important to let the doctor know of your desire to not reproduce.

And I TOTALLY understand your fear of waking up with a big ol' scar! I had a bit (cough cough) of a melt down before my CKC partily because of my fears of what could possibly happen during the CKC. I was afraid I would come out with a full hyst. I was in such a melt-down mode, the nurses couldn't get the doctor to my bedside fast enough with the release form. They wanted to start my IV and give me the Versed (to relax me and start knocking me out before being wheeled into the surgery room. It worked WONDERS! I remember being wheeled down the hall, but not into the surgery room (all of about 20 or 30 feet! hahaha).

I know you have a bit of a wait. Try to focus on life. Do things you enjoy, with people you enjoy being with. Worrying won't make time pass any faster and it won't alter the outcome of the tests. I know that is easier said than done, but I've learned that lesson the hard way.

(((hugs)))

Old 11-03-2009, 07:11 AM   #7
(female)

dizzydc5 HB User

Thank you!! You said pretty much everything I feel! My doctor is very well aware that I do not want children. She warned me that having a LEEP or CKC could make it where I could deliver pre-term if I ever get pregnant, and I told her that will hopefully never happen!
I'm getting back into my intense diet and excersise plan and my boyfriend, who is also a health/exercise nut, is right there beside me. He's been completly supportive in every way possible since day 1 of the first mention of an abnormal test. (he's even okay with no intercourse!! thats love right there!! ) When I am having a stressful or disappointing day due to all this mess, he'll suggest a movie night and just knowing that he's there makes it better. And running 4 miles a day helps with stress too!!

Thank you for your support, I've never been in a possition like this before, and having someone I don't know too personally to tell all this too really, surprisingly, helps!! My boyfriend was even stumped by the laxitive thing...

Old 11-03-2009, 07:22 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well check back with us to let us know how things go. [s]You also might want to check out the Cancer: cervical and ovarian board (here at HB).[/s] There are many ladies who have experienced LEEPs and other procedures.

Take care!

eta: I didn't realize this post was on the cancer board. DOH!

Last edited by Pickle Eyes; 11-03-2009 at 07:32 PM. Reason: do strike-through and eta

Closed Thread