It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2009, 02:50 PM   #1
(female)

viking01 HB User
Unhappy Irritated Cervix, bleeding during pap smear, anyone??

A little backround, I'm 44 years old, and have three children. I had a 5 cm. cyst removed form ovary 18 years ago. Other than that, nothing abnormal until a couple of years ago. I was told I had a enlarged fibrous uterous, but I had no symptoms....It was just a routine exam. (had a sonogram, that confirmed the fibroids).

Anyway, I had some heavy bleeding this week after intercourse. (it was a morning quickie). Freaked me out, so I called for an appointment with my Gynocologist.

He said my cervix looked irritated. And with the pap smear he said I bled. Well, I asked if that would make my pap smear come back abnormal. He said it could, but if it does, it will automatically check for HVP. Oh, and my uterus feels larger than it did 2 years ago. So I am going for a transvaginal ultrasound. And, I am supposed to come back in 6 months and get rechecked.

He did say, depending on these results, he could see me sooner, and do additional testing, but to take it one step at a time.....

First question....... after I left the office, I'm thinking that he wants to see me in 6 months because he knows the pap is going to come back abnormal. Is that a reasonable assumption? Is it possible that a cervix that bled could come back just fine?

Second question.... Is a pap smear with a HPV check (if the pap comes back abnormal) a standard medical test these days? Is it new? Or is it something that the doctor has to order specifically?

Just trying to get a handle on what is standard operating procedures these days. Thanks for your insight, hope some of you can help me on this!!

Barb

Last edited by viking01; 11-07-2009 at 02:51 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2009, 06:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: Irritated Cervix, bleeding during pap smear, anyone??

Hi Barb,

It is becoming standard procedure (for some doctors) to offer the HPV test to women over 30 (especially 40). It is a separate test from the pap. The pap and HPV test combine give a significantly better impression of what is going on in the cervix than either test alone.

When a patient has the symptoms you've described (post coital bleeding and/or bleeding with the pap) it is pretty normal (from what I've read) to ask the patient to return for a pap in 6 months to see if there are any improvements or a decline.

I'm a little curious as to why the doctor didn't order a colposcopy. I would think that would be the next step, not waiting 6 months. I'm not a doctor and I don't know your history, other than what you've said.

I hope that helps.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:01 AM   #3
(female)

viking01 HB User

At least I know that it is becoming more of a standard procedure. I thank you for that bit of information.

I've got to call and make the appointment for the vaginal ultrasound. It will be a nerve wracking couple of weeks while I wait for the results from the pap smear/HPV and sonogram!

Barbara

Old 11-14-2009, 04:42 PM   #4
(female)

viking01 HB User
Re: Update on pap

Just in case anyone looks at this later, my pap smear was normal - I don't know how that could be possible with an irrated bleeding cervix. But that was good news. Now on to the vaginal ultrasound.

Barb

Old 11-02-2011, 05:44 AM   #5
(female)

umm4 HB User

Thanks viking. Your update gave me some hope. I just had my first pap smear today and the doc said my cervix was bleeding and that scared me. I googled and found your thread here on health board and decided to register. I will update when my results are out. I hope I would come out clean like you did.

The Following User Says Thank You to umm4 For This Useful Post:
I hope not (09-22-2012)
Closed Thread