It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2009, 02:28 PM   #1
(female)

jenab HB User
Atypical Glandular Cells, but nothing wrong?

Hi all. I'm glad I found this forum. Seems like a great source of information.
So anyway, in 2007, while I was 28 years old and pregnant, I had a pap smear come back with Level 3 dysplasia. We monitored it through the pregnancy and in mid-2008, after the birth, I had a LEEP procedure. Everything looked good afterwards.
It's now about a year later, I'm 30, and I'm seeing a different GYN, and a pap a couple weeks ago returned findings of atypical glandular cells.
I had been having no symptoms, no irregular bleeding, nothing. We jumped on it right away with a colpo and ECC, as well as an ultrasound primarily looking at my ovaries. I pretty much assumed I'd need to go the cone route this time.
Well, I got those results back yesterday -- the doctor said the lab found no indication of cancer, no dysplasia, no HPV, basically nothing that needed to be treated. They did find bacterial vaginosis, which I hadn't been having any symptoms of.
The GYN said I can go back to an annual pap smear. I don't want to look a gift biopsy in the mouth -- I was freaking out I would need a hysterectomy, and I basically got the best news possible. But I still don't understand what would have caused the atypical cells in the first place, and while I don't have any intuition that anything is wrong, I am just a little worried that they're missing something.
Is it pretty normal to not find any bad results following AGC? Should I just be grateful? It there some simple explanation?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2009, 02:45 PM   #2
(female)

hayga HB User
Re: Atypical Glandular Cells, but nothing wrong?

i would love it if they told me the same thing. I'd probably still worry but it sounds like everything is fine with you now.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:02 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

LilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB User

You are completely right "to look a gift biopsy in the mouth" this time. (Love your phrasing, btw.) It's great that nothing came back. It's completely possible that you pap was a false abnormal. But if I were you'd I'd be demanding follow up colpscopies (with ECC or course).

Glandular abnormalities can be sneaky. The doctor often can't see them on your cervix because they are higher up in the canal. The ECC samples the cells up there, but it can definitely miss stuff. But the pap isn't reliable at picking them up AT ALL. Going immediately back to annual paps after an AGUS pap is a bit crazy! You NEED ECCs for at least a while.

If I were you, I'd go to a gyn/onc. I don't think you have cancer, but I know many of the ladies on this board will agree with me when I say that ob/gyns just often to not know what they are talking about when it comes to glandular cells.

The other thing I'd ask for is an HPV test. Have you had one? A positive test doesn't necesarily mean there is anything wrong, but a negative would be a pretty good indicator that nothing's going on.

Good luck!

Old 11-12-2009, 06:42 PM   #4
(female)

jenab HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyL21 View Post

The other thing I'd ask for is an HPV test. Have you had one? A positive test doesn't necesarily mean there is anything wrong, but a negative would be a pretty good indicator that nothing's going on.

Good luck!
Yeah, the HPV test came back negative. I was actually pretty surprised. I haven't had any visible symptoms, but I just assumed I had it because of previous dysplasia. I guess my body could have cleared it up.
Thanks for the advice. I would at least like to consult with a gyn oncologist. It's horrible to think of the possibility of missing carcinoma in situ or something and leaving it to grow for a year.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:02 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

LilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenab View Post
Yeah, the HPV test came back negative. I was actually pretty surprised. I haven't had any visible symptoms, but I just assumed I had it because of previous dysplasia. I guess my body could have cleared it up.
Thanks for the advice. I would at least like to consult with a gyn oncologist. It's horrible to think of the possibility of missing carcinoma in situ or something and leaving it to grow for a year.
A negative HPV test is certainly good news! Actually most women revert to HPV negative status after having treatment like a LEEP or CKC. The negative HPV testmakes me think it's much more likely your pap was a false abnormal than the ECC missing something.

Still, I wouldn't risk only having paps. I definitely want follow up ECCs for a while, and I think they always do a colposcopy with the ECC.

Glandular cell cervical cancer is called adenocarcinoma. Adenocarcinoma in situ is generally considered more serious than carcinoma in situ. Not as much is known about it, and doctors tend to treat it fairly agressively.

Definitely get a second opinion from a gyn/onc.

Closed Thread