It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2010, 04:02 PM   #1
(female)

JDS16 HB User
Unhappy Infection after LEEP, on antibiotics, what's next?

Hi out there,
I really need some guidance and feedback! I had a LEEP done 2 weeks ago. Followed all doctors orders and after 7 days started had one day of pretty heavy bleeding. Looked like a scab came off, but not too much blood that made me need to go in to the doctor. No foul odor, no pain, but consist red blood for another 5 days. I went into the doc (not my real doc but someone covering) and he said I had and infection. I understand this can happen with any surgery but I am really upset because I followed doctors orders. No sex, no tampons, no nothing. I had to call yesterday because they put me on one antibiotic and I was in a lot of pain. Tight, burning and cramping. Backaches, and just really tired. Now on more antibiotics.

Is there anything else I can do to take care of myself?

I am in a very serious relationship and would also like clarification on when we can begin having sex again and if I can/should have the Guardasil vaccine. I would like to because I have been with my boyfriend for some time and we had thought my paps were clear, based on my regular pap smears, but it wasn't gone, so he has the strain that made me have CIN II. How do I get my body stronger to fight it off and prevent this in the future?

I was trying to ask the nurses and the doc that is covering but they have pretty much blown me off and are treating me as if I am bothering them with my questions.

Please help!
Thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2010, 09:19 PM   #2
(female)

karensk HB User
Re: Infection after LEEP, on antibiotics, what's next?

JDS, I am very sorry that you are having these complications from your LEEP. I first want to say that, if possible, you should seek a different gynecologist if at all possible. You do NOT need to see anyone who blows you off at a time like this, or who has dismissive staff. Your health is far too important for your doc to do this! Also, in spite of your following the directions, unfortunately with any procedure there is a chance of complications. It may not have been something you did, KWIM?

I am curious as to how the doc decided you had the infection. Did you have an exam? Did he take any cultures to determine the organism causing the problem? Just wondering.

My advice is to get yourself on a good (from a healthfood/natural store - kept in the refrigerator to keep 'fresh') probiotic to help counteract the effect of the antibiotic. Antibiotics kill off both "good" and "bad" bacteria in your body, and you need the "good" bacteria, so the probiotic will help with that.

Are you on the birth control pill? Birth control pills can rob your body of certain vitamins. I have discontinued mine now that I have all these Pap issues.

As far as some extra immune boost, this is what I do. I have first limited caffeine and sugar to a great degree in my diet. In addition, I supplement with vitamins: Lots of folic acid, vitamin A & D, vitamin C, and vitamin E. Try to get lots of rest and exercise if you can. I'm also working on stress relief, easier said than done

I do not vaccinate so I'm not sure about Gardasil, but I believe it is "too late" so to speak for you, since you already have HPV. Did your doc do the HPV test to determine what strain you have?

Sorry for the novel! I hope you can recover ASAP and get back to normal. I would refrain from sex/inserting anything until you are feeling good and done with meds, done having discharge, etc.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:44 PM   #3
(female)

EekaM765 HB User

Hi JDS! I am very sorry to hear that you are having a hard time with the LEEP. I too am going through the reovery process. I had my LEEP done on the 4th of Jan and I too had an AWFUL gynie. I have since left her and will be seeing a new one on Feb 1. I also have experienced the back pain that you are talking about. Some days it was def very very uncomfortable to sit, stand, and lay on my stomach. I did not have cramps like period cramps, but rather a sharp nagging pain in the center of my lower abdomen. I am now on day 22 of recovery. I am still bleeding, but the back and abdomen pain have subsided. I am very tired of all this bleeding, but it has lessened a great deal and now I'm just waiting for it to stop. I have not had the black/brown discharge that most other women seem to have and that makes me worried that maybe I won't heal anytime soon.

From what I understand sex should wait for about 6 weeks. Some doctors say different things, but you want to make sure that your cervix is completely healed up. I have read that women who have sex even as late as 6 weeks later experience some pain, discomfort, and/or bleeding again. Some women say that after the 6 weeks they had no issues...everyone is different.

As far as sex with an infected partner...from what I am told he will re-infect you. You are NOT immune to this virus after having it already. It is not like chicken pox. It's a sexually transmitted disease unfortunately. Just use condoms. Remember that HPV is the leading cause of cervical cancer and should be taken seriously.

Has your bleeding stopped yet?? This procedure def sucks and the recovery is frustrating. I sincerely hope that you feel better soon

Erica

Old 02-01-2010, 08:52 AM   #4
(female)

JDS16 HB User

Thank you both so very much! The doc just checked out my cervix and said it was healing well and noticed the little bit of blood that was oozing from the surgical wound and prescribed me antibiotics. Yes, I can't wait to see my doctor in six months. At least I will get some further attention. They say I don't need any follow up and that I should be fine after finishing all of the antibiotics.

So far so good! All drugs are gone and there is no bleeding or back pain or cramping. It took a few more days than they said it would but all is well. Thanks for the advice. I have been making sure to eat many more fresh, raw veggies and fruits. Also got back to the gym this weekend which I think helped as well.

So....I guess my last question is....what about when I am ready to get pregnant in a few years....I am planning a family with my current significant other, granted, not for a couple of years. I believe I will get reinfected with HPV, correct? It seems to me that there should be something (vaccine, process, etc) other than just condoms for this issue. Anyone have any further experience with this?

Erica - I hope you feel better!!! Remember to take good care of yourself and don't forget the power of positive thoughts!!! All the best to you!!

Old 02-01-2010, 10:37 AM   #5
(female)

karensk HB User

So glad you are feeling better! Sounds like you're really past the bad part, hopefully

You can eat lots of yogurt with live cultures to get your body back to its normal intestinal state after all the antibiotics. I've been eating some unsweetened yogurt every day since my recent procedure.

I'll try to help you as far as the HPV as I understand it (someone correct me if I'm wrong). The strain you are infected with is always with you. Your body's immune system can keep it in check hopefully. If you have an "insult" to your immune system (with me, this was my 3rd pregnancy), then the HPV can recur. I guess you could call it reinfection (just a matter of semantics), but it is a recurrence. However, of course at any time you could pick up another strain (there are high-risk strains and low-risk strains out there). HPV is transmitted from skin-to-skin contact, so while condoms help, they do not prevent.

I am notsaying this would happen to you, but unfortunately in my case, I acquired the high-risk strain I have when my husband had an affair (the other woman had had several cervical procedures - but I didn't know any of this at that time). Even though we used condoms back then for birth control, I still got infected. I also used to smoke in my 20s, and in all probability was still smoking when I contracted the HPV.

I have had mildly bad Paps in the past (I believe I was infected around 10 yrs ago). They always got worse during/after pregnancy (ASCUS) and then I had a few normal ones. I got lazy after my 3rd delivery and didn't go back to the gyn for like 1-1/2 yrs, and then learned I had a higher grade lesion on ECC, which I just had resected.

I have clear margins from my resection. However, yes there is still a small chance that I will have another abnormal Pap in spite of this. I will, however, be much more diligent about a clean diet, stress mitigation (exercise!!!), and trying to be as healthy as possible to keep this at bay.

If you are younger than I am, you have a great chance of keeping the virus in check! Thank you for the update, I was hoping you'd clear the infection and be fine after your LEEP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDS16 View Post
Thank you both so very much! The doc just checked out my cervix and said it was healing well and noticed the little bit of blood that was oozing from the surgical wound and prescribed me antibiotics. Yes, I can't wait to see my doctor in six months. At least I will get some further attention. They say I don't need any follow up and that I should be fine after finishing all of the antibiotics.

So far so good! All drugs are gone and there is no bleeding or back pain or cramping. It took a few more days than they said it would but all is well. Thanks for the advice. I have been making sure to eat many more fresh, raw veggies and fruits. Also got back to the gym this weekend which I think helped as well.

So....I guess my last question is....what about when I am ready to get pregnant in a few years....I am planning a family with my current significant other, granted, not for a couple of years. I believe I will get reinfected with HPV, correct? It seems to me that there should be something (vaccine, process, etc) other than just condoms for this issue. Anyone have any further experience with this?

Erica - I hope you feel better!!! Remember to take good care of yourself and don't forget the power of positive thoughts!!! All the best to you!!

Old 11-12-2010, 07:27 PM   #6
(female)

rhodes9 HB User

i am sorry to hear what you are going through but it is making me think i just had a leep done on fri the 5th and i have bad cramps and still bleeding with back aches so maybe i should call my dr......but to what you were saying to help fight it off you need to start taking vitamins i started taking cell guard what it does is it helps repair bad cells and starts prducing healthy new ones i am hoping it helps my hpv...also i started taking acai berries (loaded with antioxidents) vitamin c and drinking more green tea with echinacia which helps boost a healthy immune system i do feel much better after taking these saily vitamins no more fatigue i have more energy but hopefully this will help you!

Closed Thread