It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2010, 11:11 AM   #1
(female)

nd some advice HB User
Well got my biopsy results back....

The colposcopy and biopsy wasnt too bad but he did find a lesion and removed most of it completely....it was close to 2MM.

As far as my results... not great but not the worst....they told me it was moderate to severe dysplasia and to schedule a LEEP in the near future. Is a LEEP better than they cyro?? Ive heard the laser is the best but most expensive. Still scared

Oh and during the colpo I asked the doc to do an ECC and he said there was no need to at this point. Can they do an ECC during the LEEP??

I just want to get back to normal again and take care of all this promptly, I have a 4 mon baby girl to take care of.....I feel bad for saying or rather typing that bc I know there is plenty of women that have it alot worse than I. I admire all your courage and esp appreciate all the info on here.

Pickleeyes I have read soooo many of your posts and just wanted to thank you personally for giving all of us women hope and not to feel like a statistic.

Also after a LEEP procedure how many of you have had no margins come back and have normal paps after that??? Ive read alot of post on here where they had to go back in and do more procedures to get it all.....

Thanks for takin the time to read my post and reply....

Whitney

Old 04-10-2010, 08:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: Well got my biopsy results back....

Hey, Whitney, thank you for what you said. I do/say what I can because I still remember the desperate scrambling for any information I could get (that was remotely reliable) regarding my diagnosis and cancer. I want to share that if at all possible. I'm glad I can help!

The ECC scrapes the cervical canal. I think of it as being something like a chimney sweep (thinking Mary Poppins!) sticking the brush up the flue. It is only a scraping, though. The LEEP is going to remove a cone-shaped part of your cervix. It is wider at the top and narrower at the bottom (actually the other way around if you are standing up). So it will give more information than an ECC would especially regarding depth of lesions.

I would think the LEEP is more effective in removing/treating lesions than cryo therapy. Cryo just burns the cells that are touched/burned. The LEEP removes the cells.

You might ask your doctor about a Cold Knive Cone (CKC) versus the LEEP. I can't remember which type of dysplasia you have. If it is squamous cell then the LEEP is appropriate. If it is glandular, then I would think the CKC would be more appropriate.

I think I"m rambling. I'll check back later to see if I've confused you! :/

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2010, 02:14 PM   #3
(female)

nd some advice HB User

Pickle Eyes your totally welcome and I do appreciate all your input!! Its very nice to be able to talk to someone that has been through all this....

No you havent confused me and now I see that an ECC would be irrelevant if a LEEP or CKC was done....they never told me whether it was squamous or glandular....Ill ask him when I call him back, but he did act like the LEEP was the best procedure to do at this point.

Now I may confuse you LOL, the doctor that called me the other day was not the doctor that preformed my colposcopy but just another gyn there at the office....my actually doc that DID the colposcopy called me today and told me I had nothing to worry about. That on the pathology report it was all moderate and not severe. He also gave me a choice, he said I could have the LEEP done now or we could do the "wait and watch" approach and do another colposcopy/biopsy in 6 mons. He said since I was so young and there being a 50/50 chance that this could go away on its own. I mean REALLY??? He gives me the choice?? Ive thought about it some and I really just want to get it over with really, I dont wana worry all summer thinking this may progress.....

And also I may add....He said he does this as an outpatient procedure and that I would have to be put under. I dont like that idea at all.....I would rather have the shot of lidocaine in my cervix. He wont do that, he says he doesnt like taking the risk of a patient moving and accidently hitting the vaginal wall or something.....so what to do???

I mean what would you do???

Any others advice would be greatly appreciated as well

Thanks,

Whitney

Old 04-12-2010, 11:21 AM   #4
(female)

ebradley23 HB Userebradley23 HB User

I had a choice of being awake or being put under for my LEEP. I chose to be put under, because my Dr could get me in faster. She doesn't have the LEEP equipment in her office, so she would have had to fit me in at her husband's office (he's a gyn-onc). I was okay with being put under. Looking back, I can't imagine it any other way. I don't want to have think about being awake while they are burning off parts of my lady business. It just doesn't seem like a pleasant thought.

As for the after effects, they aren't that bad (just in case you are wondering). I had mild discomfort the day of the procedure. I wouldn't even call it cramps. The discharge at first was just a clear, watery type. It changed to a pink tinged (not quite bloody) about day 3. The discharge continued for about 2 weeks. At first I needed full-fledged pads. I highly recommend the Always Infinity pads if you aren't a regular pad user. I am not, and these were the best ones I could find. They were the ones that were the least awkward feeling. I was able to switch to panty-liners towards the end. Anyway, I went in for my check-up at 3 1/2 weeks and the Dr said I was all healed up. I got my results exactly 1 week after the LEEP. The LEEP removed CIN II and had clear margins. I go back for my follow-up pap in June. Praying for good news!! I have also started taking vitamins. I am on a multi-vitamin, folic acid, vitamin a and vitamin e. I read that those help clear dysplasia. I figured it won't hurt by adding them in.

As for good news regarding LEEP successes, I have two. My mom had a LEEP about 10 - 15 years ago (she can't remember when exactly), and she's never had another abnormal pap. My cousin had a LEEP about 3 years ago. She also has not had another abnormal pap. By the way, she ended up getting pregnant shortly after her LEEP (in case you are worried about future pregnancies). She didn't have any problems with her pregnancy. With clear margins, LEEP has a 90% cure rate with no recurrences.
Those are pretty good odds!!

Last edited by ebradley23; 04-12-2010 at 11:23 AM.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:46 AM   #5
(female)

sarasota2004 HB User

I had moderate dysplasia in 1996. First they tried freezing off cells... that hurt. And when I went back... didn't get it all. Then they did the Leep. I was awake and felt some pinching but nothing major. Light bleeding after. Results were 100% clear. Every pap since then has been normal. And I have had 3 children since and were all conceived on first try with no probs!!

My little sister had moderate to severe dysplasia and went thru the same thing last year... so far so good!

Closed Thread