It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2010, 03:42 PM   #1
(female)

synlgar HB User
complex ovarian cyst left ovary

Alright, let me start from the beginning. In January after getting very tired of the sciatic pain I saw an orthopedic doctor who ordered an MRI where he informed me that yes, I had some spinal stenosis, but that could be my age, I'm 53, but it might be the cyst on my left ovary, see my ob/gyn.

So, I did, she confirmed I had two cysts, a functional cyst and a complex cyst with separation, but no free fluid. She did inform me that my uterus was enlarged and thickened and my right ovary was MIA. The CA 125 was 10; see her in 6 to 9 months for a recheck.

Oh, one more item, the fibroid on the outside of my uterus is now calcified. Cool beans.

Near the end of February, I told her I was still have a lot of discomfort, could actually feel the cyst, also think my right ovary returned home as that side was uncomfortable too, also included was a burning sensation(s) dull ache, sciatic pain, tender breasts ( I have very very dense breast tissue) and wanted to see her again.

So, in the 5 mins she spent with me, no exam was completed, no ultra sound was done, I was given a prescription for BC pills and told to return the end of May. P.S. I smoke, am over 35, high risk for stroke?

Oh, oh, did I mention, I am due for a pap the end of May and according to the doctor, it is not covered until then. Change the CPT/ICD9 or 10 codes, duh!

So, finally I am convinced by friends and family to contact another doctor, and I see him next week; I am really, really scared. He wants my MRI report, my last mammogram, my last pap and is doing an ultrasound right then, he is fitting me into his schedule.

Basically, I am premenopausal, and still having regular periods, but with very large clots, yet my calcified fibroid is telling me my womb is dying, the lost ovary (if it is lost) is telling me the shop is closing. Heck close it, I had a tubal after my only child at age 36. (not good) even now as I type this, there is a burning sensation almost constant now in the front and a throb or ache in the back. I know cysts can burst and cause pain, but repeatedly? I am scaring the .....what out of myself.

Oh, almost forgot, had a colonoscopy in between visit....clean, just wanted to be sure.

Can I convince the doctor to remove everything?

Thanks for letting me vent,

Synlgar

Last edited by synlgar; 04-13-2010 at 03:47 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2010, 03:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User
Re: complex ovarian cyst left ovary

Hello,

I think you are very right to go and see someone else. For one, the birth control pill is definitely not for you and no sane doctor should have put you on it if you are over 35 and a smoker. This is basic stuff.

How large are these ovarian cysts ? You should know that there is no way, no way whatsoever, that a doctor can tell you exactly what kind of cyst you have. Only a biopsy can do that. She can, however, take an educated guess, which is obviously what she did. Your follow up ultrasound will most likely show a change in the situation. These cysts have a habit of coming and going by themselves and most often they are indeed functional cysts. As for the complex cyst with, I assume you meant "septations", this will definitely need to be at least watched and I think you are smart to get a second opinion on this.

For the pain, the calcified fibroid outside your uterus is more likely to be causing the pain than a presumably small ovarian cyst (although either one can, depending upon where exactly it is located and what it is close to). You may want to ask your new doctor about his opinion on this "fibroid" as well and see what he says. If for any reason, he feels that it is best to go in and remove the left ovary and cyst, he can also get rid of that fibroid .. is it on a stalk or attached to the uterus ?

I would be careful about wishing for removal of everything. The more complex the surgery, the greater the risk of complications and the outcome may not end up the way you hoped for. For one, you would go into instant surgical menopause rather than going into it more gradually. For another, perhaps none of your gynecological issues have anything to do with the pain and you would end up with the same pain issue as before and then some ...

Try not to rush into anything. You are doing the right thing by going in to see another physician. For all you know, the doctor may be able to simply deal with the left ovary, take out the fibroid and do a D & C (for the thickened uterine lining) and this may solve the problem for good .. leaving you to sail into menopause more gradually and with less problems (the D & C will probably solve the heavy bleeding as may the removal of the fibroid .. fibroids are notorious for not allowing the uterus to contract properly when you menstruate, causing more bleeding).

Don't go scaring yourself to death. Most ovarian cysts are benign .. as a matter of fact, statistically 90% of complex ones are benign and an even higher percentage of simple ones are as well. There are MANY women dealing with your problem. I myself had my left ovary and tube removed due to a 9 cm ovarian cyst and I had decided to watch it for 18 months, hoping it would go away on its own and my avoiding the surgery. It did not and started to change so under the advise of my doctor, I opted for surgery (my cyst was a simple cyst at the start ... but quite large).

Try not to scare yourself and just go for the appointment. Jot down any questions you want to ask this new physician so that you don't miss anything you want to cover.

I hope you get a good second opinion from this other doctor.

All the best.

Estria

Old 04-14-2010, 04:11 PM   #3
(female)

synlgar HB User

Thanks for responding and yes, I am scaring myself, mostly because I think I read too much. As for the size of the cysts, the functional cyst was about the size of a quarter and the complex with the separate areas (I keep forgetting the word) was about 4cm. She told me there were solid areas within it, but no free fluid (her words)

The fibroid was located on the outside of my uterus in near my back, according to the orthopedic doctor when I had the MRI; it was probably not causing my pain.

I do know that cysts usually resolve themselves especially functional, but the "burning sensation" I feel is almost constant now and I also feel a little bit of occasional burning on the right, both very low in the pelvic area.

Also, when I had the exam for colonoscopy two weeks ago, the doctor, pressed on that area.....I thought I would die. There is something going on there.

As for the D&C, about 4 years ago I had suffered from constant bleeding and my Ob/Gyn at that time (he has moved out of the state) scheduled me for one.

Unfortunately, the surgery was stopped and as I was told there is a "false opening into the uterus" and he was afraid to continue as he might tear the sides or enter the wrong area and be forced to do a complete hysterectomy. Have you ever heard of this? I know I'm the first, right?

I am glad you agree about the BC, I just refused to take them and could not believe she would order it; thus the new doctor.

I will learn more next week.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Hi,

If this calcified fibroid is stuck to the back wall of the uterus, near your back, how on earth does the orthopedist know that it is definitely not causing the pain ?? This makes no sense. Sounds like it would be a more likely culprit that the 4 cms complex ovarian cyst. Also, if it calcified over the recent years, it would make sense that it would start to cause problems as calcifications are more solid growths.

I would definitely get a second opinion on that complex ovarian cyst and see what is recommended. If there are solid components and it is a septated cyst, it should at least be watched. And if you are experiencing pain that cannot be dealt with, perhaps it should be removed and some exploration should be done at the same time to see what could be the cause of your discomfort.

As for the D & C, it sounds like what you are talking about is a double uterus. I am not sure if this is what your doctor meant but some women have a sort of a "two horned uterus" with sometimes separate openings (thus the false opening). When we are fetuses, our uteruses (uteri ?) begin as two separate tubes and sometimes they do not develop properly into one. Many women have children and never know that they have this. Others have problems with miscarriages .. all depends upon how bad the problem is. I am certain that even with this problem, a D & C or at least a partial D & C should be possible to give you some relief from the bleeding but you may need to find a good gyne for this.

I hope this second opinion will be more valuable than your first.

Take care of yourself.

Estria

Old 07-24-2010, 03:05 PM   #5
(female)

baiely HB User

I am having the same medical issues as you are. I suffer from a sciatica nerve problem and a do have a complex cyst left ovaries tht cuase my uterus to be twised and even enarged.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:53 AM   #6
(female)

red9999 HB User

I, also was recently diagnosed with a complex cyst on my left ovary. Today, I am going for a second opinion. The first ob/gyn insists on a total hysterectomy, bi-lateral oopharectomy, and exploratory laparotomy (that's what she wrote on my notes).

I don't want a total hysterectomy; I feel that I'm being punished for my age. I'm 50 and she told me that I didn't need this this stuff anymore.

My CA125 was 10.6 and my CEA was normal. I'm curious to hear what your docs end up telling you.

Best of luck!

Closed Thread