It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2010, 02:21 PM   #1
(female)

marie211979 HB User
12 weeks pregnant just diagnosed with HGSIL with gland involvement

Hi everyone,
I have a few questions regarding HGSIL, that i can't seem to find answers on. A little background, Im 12 weeks pregnant and my pap, colpo, and biopsy came back with HGSIL with gland involvement. I found out i have HPV with my first preg when i was 25. My paps were always normal when i wasn't preg, but as soon as i was preg it would show low grade cells, this preg is the first it showed HGSIL. Im very nervous, they are sending me to an oncologist. Im just so scared that this is cancer. My OBGYN told me that if it was i would have to abort and have an emergency hysterectomy! Has anyone gone through this? What treatments are available? Can i countinue this pregnancy with HGSIL with gland involvement (abortion is not an option for me)? If anyone has some info on this please send it my way.

Thank you all in advance for taking the time to read my post

Old 04-22-2010, 04:38 PM   #2
(female)

cksun HB User
Re: 12 weeks pregnant just diagnosed with HGSIL with gland involvement

Marie, I am sorry you are going through this...

I had a bad pap (the first one ever) in Dec. 09. I got pregnant in Jan 2010, so I didn't have my repeat pap until after my pregnancy, as I was considered a high risk pregnancy because of placenta previa. Once I gave birth Oct 2010, I retested and my pap was normal but HPV positive. I then had the colpo and ECC, diagnosis AIS!!! I saw an gyn/onc and it was suspected that I had HPV throughout my entire pregnancy, as pregnancy comprimises your immune systmen which can "wake" the HPV.

My opinion is, get a second opinion!!!! I have read that most gyn and gyn/onc don't even treat AIS during pregnancy let alone call for an abortion. I would think that would only be necessary if your life was in danger and there was proof that your cancer was advanced.

More than likely my AIS was there through my whole pregnancy! I did just have a LAVH after having a CKC to confirm the AIS diagnosis but even then, I would have had the option of waiting if I wanted more children.

Sorry, I hope this making sense. My thoughts are jumbled because the thought of a OBGYN calling for an abortion at this stage makes me crazy! My baby is only 6 months and I can't even imagine what you are feeling....

I will check back later. Let me know if you have further questions and my thoughts are with you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2010, 04:54 PM   #3
(female)

Beccapooh HB User

I think that you must have meant 2009, not 2010. LOL.

I don't know much about what you're going through, but, I agree that any time a doctor "calls" for an abortion, there better be somebody's life on the line, first. Get a second and/or third opinion if necessary! Good luck on your journey!

Rebecca

Old 04-23-2010, 07:39 AM   #4
(female)

cksun HB User

[QUOTE=Beccapooh;4231285]I think that you must have meant 2009, not 2010. LOL.

Yes, I meant 2009!! Sorry, I was SO flustered after reading the doctors advice...

Old 04-23-2010, 05:11 PM   #5
(female)

marie211979 HB User

Thank you for your posts. The info was very helpful! Im trying really hard to not freak out about this, i have to be strong for my 2 other children. It's just so overwhelming and scary! I am really bothered and upset that my OB would tell me to abort, needless to say i won't be seeing her again! My OB didn't mention anything about AIS. Is the same thing as HGSIL? Im a nurse, and im having a really hard time finding information on this in my books, and i don't feel comfortable speaking to my coworkers :/ Anyway thanks again for all the info, it gives me some peace of mind

Old 04-24-2010, 10:34 AM   #6
(female)

onestitchatatim HB User

When I got my abnormal pap back in March, I bought a book that I think is very good and thorough. It's called "Abnormal Pap Smears - What Every Woman Should Know". I bought it from Amazon. It is much more than pap smears and includes the various stages through cancers. I read the whole thing and I do not recall it mentioning abortion as a remedy for HSIL in pregnant women anywhere.

Perhaps you could ask your gynecologist to refer you to a gynecologist-oncologist. They specialize in pre-cancers and cancers and may be able to talk to you about treatment options in more detail and more accurately than your OB-GYN who may spend most of her time delivering babies.

Last edited by onestitchatatim; 04-26-2010 at 09:16 AM.

Closed Thread