It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2010, 01:37 PM   #1
(female)

Richsgirl HB User
Complications from mulitiple LEEPs?

Hi Everyone,

This is my first time posting the board. Last August my PAP came back abnormal. I was tested and I have an active high-risk HVP virus. My doctor suggested a Colp/biopsy. It came back with CIN II and I had a LEEP done in Sept. Since then I have had a followup in October, a Pap/Colp in Jan. The one in Jan came back with the same moderate dysplasia and no change from the one back in August. She wanted to see me again in April (the wait and see approach). My question is why didn't the first LEEP get rid off all of the dysplasia?

I went back in April and this time my biopsy came back with high grade/carcinogenic cells (so I am guessing a CINIII--I need to ask my dr). Is it possible for that to change so quickly? In three months? My obgyn said that since the cells have become aggressive she wants to do another LEEP. My LEEP is scheduled for the middle of May.

I am really concerned. I have had 3 biopsy's AND a LEEP plus 3 pap smear's since August 2009. That seems like a lot! My doctor also said they were going to start monitoring me more closely--if I am already getting checked every 3 mos, how much more closely do I need to be monitored? I am also concerned with any implications of having 2 LEEPs done within an 8 mos period.

And with having a diagnosis of active high risk HPV, plus now CIN III and "aggressive" cells, what are my chances of this turning into invasive cancer.

I am just frustrated and discouraged, I am not a smoker, was not promiscious (got it from from my ex-husband who had been cheating) and do not have children. I want children someday and am worried all of these procedures will hurt my chances of carrying a child to full term.

Not to mention struggling with losing my "mojo" since all of these procedures started. My poor supportive boyfriend has been super patient but I am worried about the toll of no-sex for weeks on end after these procedures. Any comments, questions, encouragment is welcome, as well as any advice for things I should be asking my doctor next time.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2010, 09:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: Complications from mulitiple LEEPs?

I strongly suggest you get copies ofyour pathology reports and see for yourself what they say.

I'd also strongly suggest you ask your doctor if he/she thinks a CKC (cold knife cone) biopsy would be more effective. It might be; then again, it might not be.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:37 PM   #3
(female)

Richsgirl HB User

Pickle Eyes,

Thanks for the advice. I have a list of questions for my dr and hopefully I will get the chance to ask them before my LEEP.

Weird side note, I have heard that getting pregnant and/or delivering a baby takes care of any abnormal cells on the cervix.

Has anyone else heard of this? We were thinking of getting pregnant before I got all my test results and now we aren't sure what to do--again more questions for my dr.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:42 PM   #4
(female)

karensk HB User

If I were in your shoes (especially because of wanting to conceive), I'd see if a consultation with a gynecologic oncologist could be arranged, or even perhaps a second opinion before undergoing yet another LEEP.

As far as pregnancy/delivery and the cervix, I can only tell you my own experience. My first abnormal Pap ever was during my second pregnancy. Apparently Paps are more likely to be abnormal during and right after pregnancy due to the diminished immune state during that time. My Pap really took a turn for the worst during and after pregnancy #3 (which was almost 4 yrs after pregnancy #2).

I hope you can get all the issues resolved and try to conceive as you had planned. I am so grateful that my serious dysplasia was discovered and treated after our family was complete.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:15 AM   #5
(female)

BE 123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richsgirl View Post
Weird side note, I have heard that getting pregnant and/or delivering a baby takes care of any abnormal cells on the cervix.

Has anyone else heard of this? We were thinking of getting pregnant before I got all my test results and now we aren't sure what to do--again more questions for my dr.
What?! No. This is bad information and should be rejected out of hand. Pregnancy results in an immunocompromised state, sometimes severely. It is well documented that underlying conditions normally controlled by the immune system, even predispositions that haven't developed into a true condition yet (e.g. diabetes) are apt to occur during pregnancy. Whoever told you that probably meant that if a pregnant woman with normal paps suddenly has an abnormal pap, it is likely due to a "flare" of hpv (dormant to active) due to her immunocompromised state, and that post-partum, her immune status reverted to normal which reversed the abnormalities.

I second everything Pickle Eyes has suggested; she gave good advice. I also suggest hpv tests with every pap henceforth even if you must pay for the hpv test yourself. The test isn't perfect but combined with the pap, gives you as much information as possible without undergoing another procedure. I know we'd all like to avoid that, especially if we want children. And yes, there is a limit to how much removal the cervix can take, something I wish doctors would understand. Maybe then they'd stop dismissing the effects of hpv as something that "just requires some follow up."

Closed Thread