It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2010, 05:12 PM   #1
(female)

Katpierce23 HB User
Cone Biopsy Result Questions

Hello, I had a cone biopsy in March 2010. The results came back and are very confusing to me. One nurse said I had clear margins but the DR said I had positive margins. here is exactly what it says

Final Diagnoses:
1) Cervicall Cone Biopsy:
-moderate to severe dysplasia (CIN2-3) involving all four quadrants and focally extending to endocervical margin; ectocervical margin clear.
-Dysplasia shows focal entension into endocervical glands but no unequivical invasion is identified.

2) Endocervical Curettings:
-Fragments of mucosa with severe dysplasia (CIN 3)
-Admixed benign endocervical tissue
-no invasive neoplasia identified

Can anyone tell me what this all means? My doctor told me to wait six more months from March to further treat it. He said it was positive margins but the report I think says ectocervical clear, endocervical margins positive, is this right? What about gland involvment. I am so confused. I have a second opinion appointment on Monday.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2010, 07:49 PM   #2
(female)

Jaxlady HB User
Re: Cone Biopsy Result Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katpierce23 View Post
Hello, I had a cone biopsy in March 2010. The results came back and are very confusing to me. One nurse said I had clear margins but the DR said I had positive margins. here is exactly what it says

Final Diagnoses:
1) Cervicall Cone Biopsy:
-moderate to severe dysplasia (CIN2-3) involving all four quadrants and focally extending to endocervical margin; ectocervical margin clear.
-Dysplasia shows focal entension into endocervical glands but no unequivical invasion is identified.

2) Endocervical Curettings:
-Fragments of mucosa with severe dysplasia (CIN 3)
-Admixed benign endocervical tissue
-no invasive neoplasia identified

Can anyone tell me what this all means? My doctor told me to wait six more months from March to further treat it. He said it was positive margins but the report I think says ectocervical clear, endocervical margins positive, is this right? What about gland involvment. I am so confused. I have a second opinion appointment on Monday.
Please let me know what you find out from the 2nd opinion since I am in the same boat as you are. I had cone this March too and the result is Carcinoma in situ/CIN3 at 6:00, 9:00, and 12:00 locations. My doctor told me I can do another cone or get hysterectomy. I am so scared to have hysterectomy since it is a major surgery but also do not want to risk my life if I don't do it.

My doctor said I can do cone then monitor from pap every 3 months and it is still bad then I should have hysterectomy later.

I am so lost, scared, and confused. I am afraid of the surgery and also the side effects/consequences of removing my uterus.

anyone there any help me?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2010, 08:41 PM   #3
(female)

caseyann1126 HB User

I wish I had some answers, but I just have the same questions. I received my cone biopsy results today and was told the report showed CIS up to the margins and they could not tell if it extended beyond that. I too was told I have the same choices - a second cold cone biopsy or a hysterectomy. Waiting on the dr to fax my results to me tomorrow, so that I can better understand everything. All of this is very confusing and frustrating, as I was hoping this cold cone biopsy would shed some light on the extent of the problem. Seems it just brought on more questions!

Best wishes, everyone. This is not a fun thing to deal with to say the least.

Last edited by caseyann1126; 05-18-2010 at 08:53 PM.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:08 AM   #4
(female)

Katpierce23 HB User

Ok all, I went on Monday to the second Dr. It was really good to sit and talk to someone that could tell me everything. Basically I did have positive margins extending endocervical canal. It is still CIN3 or CIS so it is dangerous to keep it in there as it is higher up so also harder to see in a colpo. I will go back in August to have another pap and then schedule my hysterectomy. I am glad because she said otherwise I would have to have surgery after surgery and moniter it very closely and the chance of getting it all without the hysterectomy is not likely. So this puts my mind at ease because I dont want anymore kids and I am glad to get it taken care of. I will have support from my mother in law and friends to help with my small business and household chores so that is good too for my recovery time.

It isnt easy at first to swallow, but it is good to know what is and what isnt true about your body and what is going on.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:41 AM   #5
(female)

beautifuldream HB User

Finally....I'm not going through this alone!!

I had a cone biopsy done almost two weeks ago now. My results show CIN 1, 2, AND 3, along with early stromal invasion and a further excision is needed as I do not have clear margins. I am awaiting a second opinion at the moment.

Does anyone know what these results mean and what my likely treatment is going to be? Not sure whether another cone biopsy is needed or something more drastic. I'm only in my 20s with no children and would like them in the future.

Going out of my mind with worry!

The Following User Says Thank You to beautifuldream For This Useful Post:
Bella994 (07-18-2012)
Old 06-04-2010, 04:17 PM   #6
(female)

Jaxlady HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifuldream View Post
Finally....I'm not going through this alone!!

I had a cone biopsy done almost two weeks ago now. My results show CIN 1, 2, AND 3, along with early stromal invasion and a further excision is needed as I do not have clear margins. I am awaiting a second opinion at the moment.

Does anyone know what these results mean and what my likely treatment is going to be? Not sure whether another cone biopsy is needed or something more drastic. I'm only in my 20s with no children and would like them in the future.

Going out of my mind with worry!

Old 06-04-2010, 04:24 PM   #7
(female)

Jaxlady HB User

I had my cone done in mid March and the result is severe dysplacia or CIN 3 at 3:00, 6:00, and 9:00 in sytu or situ (means not spreaded). My doctor said she can do another cone or hysterectomy. The nurse said if it were her, she would do that too.

My understanding is CIN 1 is mild, 2 is moderte and 3 is severe dysplacia so if your are not all 3, it is not as bad. I then do not know what to do with the option since I do not wish to take my vital organ out unless it is life threatening even I already had one child and don't need more. so, I went to Mayo clinic for my 2nd opinion today and the doctor told me, he did not see bad cells there and maybe I am doing better so he did 2 more test and need to go see him 2 weeks later. He does not think doing hysterectomy is needed so I am so relieved. He thinks maybe another cone if needed from test result.

I think it pays to go have 2nd opinion else all the nurses from original Dr office told me to get hysterectomy.

Wish you luck.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:51 PM   #8
(female)

Tarby HB User

Its been almost 2 weeks since my Conebiopsy, second Colposcopy, Hysterocopy and Endometrial Biopsy following the results of my intial colpocopy that showed that I have Cin 1 and Cin 3 with signs of the Cin 3 also showing in glands.

I went in for surgery and had the 'Bad Stuff' removed. I was advised after the op that they also found polups, but as small these were not touched. I asked the surgeon after surgery if I had cancer, and he could not answer and said that I would need to wait for the results, these are not going to be avilable for another 4 weeks :-(

I was also advised that as I have yet to have kids, when I fall pregnant I will have to have a stitch immediatley and will almost certainly have to have a C section.

I'm very worried for my results and welcome everyone's comments.....

Old 07-30-2010, 12:24 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

shisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB User

Tarby,

Four weeks for the pathology results!!!!! This doctor can not be serious...those results should be available within 7-10 days. It has already been two weeks, so get on the phone and call that office and get those results.

I also question why this doctor did not remove the polpys...he was in there why not just remove them?

I hope your results are ok--I would however maybe start looking for another ob/gyn provider.

Let me know how you make out.

Brenda

Closed Thread