It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2010, 02:37 PM   #1
(female)

kelly girl HB User
Lightbulb Recovering from Cold Knife Conization

Hey everyone. Thought I might chime in for ladies going through what Iíve experienced over the past month. This website has def. Helped me with a lot of my anxiety and fears knowing there are other people going through the same exact thing.

Just a brief background on me: Iím 25, non-smoker, no children and have dealt with abnormal paps on and off again for the past 5 years. This past March I had an abnormal pap. A few weeks later they performed a colcoscopy ( which isnít painful fyi) and had a biopsy taken.

The biopsy pathology results reported that I had severe dysplasia ( cin III) with high grade changes ( also known as carcinoma in the situ). My endocervical cutterage reported that I had CIN II ( mild to severe dysplasia). Obviously I tested positive for high Ėrisk HPV.

After talking about different options with my obgyn I decided to have a cold knife conization of the cervix based on her recommendations. I had the procedure under general anthesia performed last week. To be blunt; I was scared ******** prior to surgery and thought my life was going to come to a stand still. This was not the case. The day of the surgery I was pretty tired and kind of out of it- and my Doctor provided me with hydrocodine so I didnít feel ANY pain. AGAIN: NO PAIN. I took the next day off work and just hung out on the couch and went back to work the next day- and felt fine. I've just experienced some bleeding light-moderate for the past few days and evidently that will continue for a week or so ( god I hope not much longer)..

I had my post op appointment yesterday and as it turns out I only had CIN III in a small portion of my cervix and all the abnormal cells were removed. My pathology results had clear margins- which is good. Evidently the advantage to having a CKC ( cold knife conization) versus a LEEP is that the pathology results are usually clearer to analyze.

The biggest annoyance with my CKC is the healing part. I put on weight easily so Iím pretty upset I have been advised to not exercise for 2 weeks. Iím also an avid runner, so this really sucks. Not to mention itís summer time and all I want to do is go hang out in the ocean or a pool but Iíve been advised to avoid getting in or bathing for 4 weeks. And we all know that you have to wait at least 6 weeks for sex ( ugh, bummer face).

Anyways, if anyone has had a CKC and has worked out afterwards- please let me know how long you waited and what kind of exercise you did ( ex. Running? Elliptical machine? Bike? ) and if that stunted any healing of your cervix.

Everyone hang in there! =) And remind your girlfriends , sisters, everyone..to get their Gaurdasil vaccines so they never have to go through this ********!

-Kell-

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2010, 08:36 PM   #2
(female)

karensk HB User
Re: Recovering from Cold Knife Conization

I had CKC, tubal ligation, D & C, and TVT-O surgery simultaneously. My docs cleared me to walk anytime I felt able, so I was back on the treadmill walking super slowly 72 hours after the procedure. I was totally fine, even after all of that. While I never pushed myself, I walked for 2 weeks, then back to the elliptical. Due to the TVT-O for the bladder, I was not able to lift anything or exert strenuously for one month, but I went right back to weights and spin class at that point with no issues (I have had ankle reconstruction so I don't run, can't help you with that specifically).

All in all, I only gained about 5 pounds, which was super for me (I too gain SOOOO quickly).

I just was SUPER tired after the procedure, but I have 3 kids, night-shift husband, and a full-time and part-time job.

In spite of all I personally went through, I still will not be giving my daughter Gardasil. As it stands at this time, I do not trust that the vaccine is as safe and effective as its marketing has tried to make us believe.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:33 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

shisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB User

Karensk

I agree with you on the Gardasil. My daughter is now 14 and her pediatrician began inquiring about giving her the vaccine two years ago. He never pushed me and has respected my choice to hold off on this particular vaccine. I am a very cautious mother who would rather wait a few extra years to see if any problems get reported from this vaccine. I am so glad I have because I have begun to hear that problems have begun to develop with young girls who have received this vaccine.

I am not saying that I will never permit her to receive the vaccine, however, as my ob/gyn mentioned, I have a great relationship with my daughter and he said that she can actually wait until she is 21 before she would need to get the vaccine as long as she has not had any sexual relations. At 21 she can make up her own mind on whether to get this vaccine.
So I figure I have time on my hands as long as our communications remains strong.
Enjoy your weekend

Brenda

Old 08-27-2010, 05:25 PM   #4
(female)

broader HB User

Hi, Kellygirl. I had a CKC yesterday with general anethesia, because my colposcopy biopsy results were HGSIL-3 for both the cervix punch and the endocervical canal. I was in recovery for several hours because my BP was in the 170s. The nurse repeatedly gave me BP lowering meds and morphine. After I woke up, I told the nurse that when I take my BP at home, I usually cross my chest with my left arm which is where I have the wrist BP monitor. The nurse tried and my reading was 146. I was then released back to the SDS (same day surgery) room where I started. I was given apple juice, graham crackers, Sprite and sods crackers. I was there about an hour when the vaginal packing was removed and I was told I could dress. All together I was at the hospital about 7 hours. Today I am "normal" with less than a teaspoon for bleeding. Actually its a let down after all the worrying. lol I hope that the procedure is as simple to others. I have a followup appointment on 10 Sept. The gyn told me he will call me if he gets the pathology report before my appointment and there is a problem. The information given to me when i was discharged from the hospital was so scant that I'm back googling for what I should not be doing and for how long. That information is something that needs to be asked of the gyn before the procedure. My gyn is a great doctor, but asking me if I have any questions when I have no idea what to ask, is not helpful. Take care and try not to worry too much.

Last edited by broader; 08-27-2010 at 05:27 PM. Reason: for all facing the CKC

Closed Thread