It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2010, 12:23 PM   #1
(female)

pt88 HB User
Colpscopy in a few weeks....scared!

Ok, so on may 12th I had my routine pap done and my doctor saw a lumpy looking thing on my cervix. I had a punch biopsy on the 14th and got the results back a week later saying that I have CIN1 in transition to CIN2 from HPV. My doctor referred me to the colposcopy unit in the hospital and I have an appointment to go in on July 8th.

I am extremely scared of whats going to happen during this exam. When it comes to pain I have zero tolerance (I cry from pain during blood tests), so naturally Im worrying about that.

I read a lot of peoples experiences with punch biopsies not being painful but I'll tell you, mine was traumatic. My mom had to hold my upper body still so my lower body wasnt moving while the doc was in the middle of the procedure...

What is the pain level for colposcopies? Since I already had the biopsy done are they going to do one again? I still dont have my pap results back yet, does that matter?

I need some reassurance that this is going to be ok. I still have a few weeks to freak myself out. I went to my doctor about getting some anti anxiety meds for the day of the procedure but that was a no go. She doesnt like prescribing anti anxiety medication for any reason and believes deep breathing will do the trick...I dont see that working in the middle of a panic attack while on the table :S

HELP!

Old 06-07-2010, 08:22 PM   #2
(female)

onestitchatatim HB User
Re: Colpscopy in a few weeks....scared!

There is no point in freaking out for weeks worrying about what kind of examination they are going to do. If you have a referral to the colposcopy unit, you could contact the unit and ask them what exactly they have in mind. Usually, biopsies are done during colposcopies but you have already had one done.

If you are having a colposcopy, it is just exactly like a pelvic except the doctor looks at your cervix through a strong magnifier. They put a solution on your cervix (like vinegar) to make any lesions stand out. Then they take a biopsy of any lesions they see. You know what to expect there. They might also take a scraping from the inside of your cervical canal where they can't see. In my case, this canal scraping caused some cramping for the 30 seconds or so that the scraping lasted.

Is it possible for you to get the number of the colposcopy center and find out what they plan on doing? Is your doctor going to do it or another doctor. If it's another doctor he or she may have different views on tranquilizers. You could also see if they recommend taking a strong dose of ibuprofen before you come in.

At any rate, how about telling yourself there is no reason to freak out until at least the day before the exam. Have fun. Distract yourself. No amount of freaking out is going to change a single thing. And think about how all this is to catch any problems early on and give you a long happy life.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2010, 08:34 PM   #3
(female)

scared7 HB User

Hello,

I has a colposcopy towards the end of April, so I am familiar with it. My OBGYN did it there in the office. Here is what they do:

First, the doc will apply a vinegar solution to the cervix. This does not hurt at all. The vinegar turns any places that are abnormal looking white. Depending on the size of the white area, the doctor may or may not take a bioosy of the places to send off to be tested.

My doctor took two biopsies. One came back negative and the other came back as CIN1. If the doctor takes a biposy, you will feel a slight pinch or a cramp that feels like a menstrual cramp. I felt the cramp. You should not freak out if he or she says that they need to take a biopsy.

The cervix has virtually no nerve endings. Therefore, you only feel the cramp or pinch. It is not like your hand that has many nerve endings.

After the biopsy, they will apply a peanut butter looking gel to the area that they biopsied. This helps to reduce bleeding from the biopsy... you are not able to use a tampon for about a week or two after this procedure. The peanut butter looking stuff with come out, so do not freak out if you see something that looks like coffee grinds that comes out. It is completely fine.

Good luck

Old 06-17-2010, 10:24 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

The colposcopy itself is not painful. It is just an examination of your cervix with a bright light after the doctor has applied a vinegar like solution to it. The only painful part would be if your doctor saw a suspicious area and decided to take another punch biopsy. I agree with you that they can be painful, but the pain is over VERY quickly. Take some Aleve an hour before you go to reduce the pain.

I had biopsies on two occasions. The first ones really hurt and the second ones I didn't really feel at all.

Incidentally, I think your doctor should have prescribed a single Xanax or Ativan for the procedure when you told her how anxious you were, given that there is essentially 0 risk to doing so, and I think it's really silly that she's insisting on making it more unpleasant than it has to be.

Closed Thread