It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2010, 12:47 PM   #1
(female)

winnah HB User
Newly Diagnosed with severe dysplasia..worried

I had a pap last year and it came back normal. (before that it was about 5 years since I have had one) My latest one came back high grade squamous lesions. I had the colposcopy done and the 4 biopsies she took came back moderate and severe dysplasia. My OB recommended I have a leep done in 2 weeks. I still have alot of questions and am very worried. I do plan on calling her back on Monday, she called me just as she was leaving the office Friday evening. I do not feel that she rushed me on purpose, but more that she wanted to ease my mind before the weekend, but didnt have much time to talk. Plus my mind was still reeling and I could think too straight..lol!
I have done alot of research on the internet and some sites say Severe dysplasia IS cancer (cancer is situ) and some say that its is pre cancerous.
My first question is..Do I have cancer or not?? Also for anyone who has been diagnosed with the same thing, is here a chance that the leep will catch it all or is this more of a cat and mouse game with removing it/it comming back untill I have invasive cancer? Also the reason I went to the Dr was for lower abdominal pain, and I am pretty sure that my cervix wasnt the cause of the pain, so I am worried that I could have cancer somewhere else in my female organs they just havent found yet. I have been sick for 15 months now and have had lots of other testing done. But the female stuff is one thing no one has thought much about since my pap was normal after I got sick.
Durring all of my testing, they did find that I had Hashimotos, so alot of my illness has been blamed on that, but now with this bad pap, I am not so sure.
Any ideas, comments, rays of hope would be appriciated. On top of all my medical stuff this past 15 months, my sons father committed suicide in Dec, so we are also dealing with that and I have had about as much as I can take. I dont know how much more bad things can be piled on top of everything thats already happened.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2010, 03:21 PM   #2
(female)

kosm HB User
Re: Newly Diagnosed with severe dysplasia..worried

Sooo sorry to hear about all you are going through. That is a lot. I can tell you that Severe Dysplasia is NOT cancer. It does have a high likelihood to become cancer if it isn't treated. They used to group Severe Dysplasia and "in situ" as the same, but I believe they changed that in 2003. In situ isn't cancer either, but it is debatable and considered to be at least stage 0 cancer if it is classified as that at all. You have NOT been diagnosed with cancer. You DO need treatement and the LEEP may or may not remove it all. The LEEP is pretty effective but they need clean margins to tell you the Dysplasia gone. Even after that, you need to follow up with frequent paps and yes may need to go through it again. Then again, you may not. I can tell you that stress does not help at all. I know it is hard to not be stressed with all you have going on, but do your best to stay calm, get your sleep (very important!) and relax knowing you are getting this taken care of in 2 weeks and you will have more answers then. If you have pelvic pain, what sort of tests did they do to assess that? Pelvic pain can be many things. I get pelvic pain a lot, I was convinced I had ovarian cancer! It was actually just benign cysts that are a pain to deal with. You should at least ask for an ultrasound so they can take a look at things. they can measure your endometrial stripe to see if you have anything wrong with your uterus (hyperplasia, fibroids, ect). They can also take a look at your ovaries and identify any cysts that may be causing pain as well. An ultrasound would be a good starting point along with the LEEP if you are having pain. Some women have the LEEP or a Cone biopsy and never have to deal with dysplasia again, some have to keep battling it. You should also get tested for HPV as well, as this puts you at high risk for cervical cancer. For now, just know that you HAVE NOT been diagnosed with cancer and try to relax. Let us know what happens!

Old 07-11-2010, 04:58 PM   #3
(female)

winnah HB User

Thanks so much for the reply Kosm! even being able to get all this out helps alot!
So far, the only thing they have done to try and figure the abdominal pain is a colonoscopy and ultrasound (not a pelvic US, thats what I will ask for next)
The GI dr said abdominal pain is usually gi related (that was all fine) organ related (US was fine for organs) or female problems, which led me to another pap and here we are. I do feel good about the fact that from pap to leep will all have been within about 3 weeks time! I was very lucky to get the pap results back on a friday, the appointment and colposcopy the following wed and the colp results friday of the same week. I am going to talk further about the pain with the Gyn tomorrow and see if we can do an ultrasound.
I have been sick for 15 months and have had to fight every step of the way to get testing done until now! My orginal Dr's diagnosis after an ER visit and hospital stay was that "I was in my 40's, divorced and a single parent and needed to consider antidepressants" (that ws before my ex died) I kept trying to tell him I wasnt depressed and that things were actually going well, I started a business that took off and life was good before going to the ER.
from there a different Dr found Hashimotos and anemia and chalked up my irregular periods to that and it seemed to be true, when my thyroid numbers were close to normal, peroids were normal, as thyroid numbers got too high..longer periods or absent ones.
Anyway, I know I am rambling..lol! Too much keeping everything inside so my 12 yr old doesnt worry.
Thank you for clearing up the "in situ" issue, while the internet holds a wealth of info, some of it can be confusing! I guess I just needed someone to say that this wasnt a death sentance
I will be updating as things progress!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosm View Post
Sooo sorry to hear about all you are going through. That is a lot. I can tell you that Severe Dysplasia is NOT cancer. It does have a high likelihood to become cancer if it isn't treated. They used to group Severe Dysplasia and "in situ" as the same, but I believe they changed that in 2003. In situ isn't cancer either, but it is debatable and considered to be at least stage 0 cancer if it is classified as that at all. You have NOT been diagnosed with cancer. You DO need treatement and the LEEP may or may not remove it all. The LEEP is pretty effective but they need clean margins to tell you the Dysplasia gone. Even after that, you need to follow up with frequent paps and yes may need to go through it again. Then again, you may not. I can tell you that stress does not help at all. I know it is hard to not be stressed with all you have going on, but do your best to stay calm, get your sleep (very important!) and relax knowing you are getting this taken care of in 2 weeks and you will have more answers then. If you have pelvic pain, what sort of tests did they do to assess that? Pelvic pain can be many things. I get pelvic pain a lot, I was convinced I had ovarian cancer! It was actually just benign cysts that are a pain to deal with. You should at least ask for an ultrasound so they can take a look at things. they can measure your endometrial stripe to see if you have anything wrong with your uterus (hyperplasia, fibroids, ect). They can also take a look at your ovaries and identify any cysts that may be causing pain as well. An ultrasound would be a good starting point along with the LEEP if you are having pain. Some women have the LEEP or a Cone biopsy and never have to deal with dysplasia again, some have to keep battling it. You should also get tested for HPV as well, as this puts you at high risk for cervical cancer. For now, just know that you HAVE NOT been diagnosed with cancer and try to relax. Let us know what happens!

Old 07-12-2010, 06:51 PM   #4
(female)

DavidU HB User
Smile Re: Newly Diagnosed with severe dysplasia..worried

Girlfriend had the stage 4 dysplasia and got a conization of the cervix. After that had pap smears for every six months for five years. Then once a year as normal. Its been over 10 years ago. Be glad that some good dr caught this before it became an actual cancerous stae, which dysplasia can become if it is untreated. You ARE getting treated--thats great. You will be fine although I totally understand how confusing it is. It was very confusing to me, too not knowing does she have cancer or not. But she didn't and now every thing's ok.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:44 AM   #5
(female)

rhodes9 HB User

My Dr. did inform me that when they do a leep that it is mostly a cure because they are cutting out the bad cells however the hpv virus is still there and up to you immune system to fight it off. I am 25 yrs old and was just told after a abnormal pap and a colposcopy that i have cin3 cells which are severe but not invasive cancer and high grade so i too have a leep scheduled at the beggining of november and i too am freaking out. So many thoughts about future babies if i can have them, but she did tell me that when they go in there they do think of future plans and would never cut too much of the cervix that you couldnt carry a child, and still get out all the bad cells

Closed Thread