It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2010, 11:26 AM   #1
(female)

Rawien22 HB User
Exclamation Lower Abdominal Pain!!!

Hello all, it has been a long time since I have posted anything on these forums. I don't know why though, I've had my share of problems that I could've use your support with. Like my current one. My doctor is almost at a loss.

Starting in October of 2009, I started having a pain in my lower abdomen on the left side. It wasn't terrible, just a dull almost constant ache. Late December of 2009 the pain migrated to both the left and the right side. In February of this year it became constant. I went to the hospital when it became bad enough that I couldn't really move from the couch. Worst hospital I have ever been to. All they did was set me in a chair in the hallway and do a blood test and said it looked like I had an infection, gave me antibiotics and sent me home. The antibiotics didn't help, I took them as prescribed and nothing changed.

My OBGYN really hasn't done much but do urine tests and tell me nothing. Endometriosis runs rampant in my family, Mother, Grandmother, Aunt... and most recently my sister. My sister has been sick for 2 years now and they just found cancer in her ovaries, resulting in the removal of one, and now chemotherapy. While they were inside taking the ovary out, they zapped off some endometrial cells.

I went to another ER two weeks ago, and they did an internal Ultrasound. It took the tech forever to find my ovaries, and she said I had 2 small cysts that would be normal for just ending or beginning my menstral cycle. Too bad I'm on a three month pill pack without a period, and I'm in the middle of my second month...

I had a CT scan on Friday and my doctor told me she would personally call me this afternoon to tell me what it saysÖ when I had told her about my sister and the endometriosis, she said we should exhaust every other option first. Iím not sure what I should do, the pain is a constant in my life and itís been affecting my sleep for months. I am currently on tramadol, but that only dulls it slightly. The doctor wonít give me anything stronger until we have more answers. I donít want medication; I just want to be healthy again.

I know Iíve been long-winded, but I wanted to include as much info as possible. Please help!

~Tracey

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2010, 12:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

shisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB User
Re: Lower Abdominal Pain!!!

rawien,

What part of Florida do you live in? Are you close to one of the major cities? (Orlando, Tampa, Gainsville, Miami...) I question why if you sister had ovarian cancer that they only removed one ovary? I thought the standard of care was a total abdominal hystroectomy.
Did you receive a call on the result of the CT yet?
If you are not happy with the treatment that you are receiving, than maybe you should check out doctors at some of the bigger hospitals in Florida.
Florida is kind of scary when it come to medical treatment--sorry to anyone who currently lives in Florida. I only say this because of my experience when I lived there.
If you are close to some major cities, Miami has the a few large facilities, in Tampa there is Tampa General, in Sarasota, you have Sarasota General, in Gainsville, you have the Cleveland Clinic and in Jacksonville you have Jacksonville Memorial.
Try to research the clinics at the large hospitals. Obtain all of your treatment records and make an appointment for a second opinion consult.
I hope you get some answers. Let me know how you are doing.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:49 PM   #3
(female)

Rawien22 HB User

My doctor said my gall bladder looked contracted in the CTscan... So she had me do some sort of nuclear test that took over an hour, but she said things looked normal. I'm at a loss for what to do now. She hasn't called me to talk about the next steps.

I do live near the city of Sarasota. I love my dr but I'm getting tired of this whole thing with no answers.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:08 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

shisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB User

Rawien

If you like your doctor than do not wait for her to call you, make an appointment to sit down and discuss all the tests that have been completed and the results. Discuss what the next steps are going to be to determine what possibly could be wrong. I would also suggest before you have this appointment, request all the reports from your tests (radiology and labs) so that you can personally read all of the reports and highlight information that you may have a question or concern.
Maybe request that she refer you to a gastroenderologist.
Is this doctor that you are seeing your obgyn? Maybe you need to be a little more assertive and request a laproscope to see if in fact you have endometriosis. While this procedure is invasive it can give your doctor some definate answers as to whether this pain is cause by any gynecological condition.
Let me know how you are doing.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:58 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

dianajune HB Userdianajune HB Userdianajune HB User

You didn't say in your post if you've ever had any abdominal surgeries. If you did, they can cause adhesions, which in turn can cause a great deal of pain. I've had to deal with them for some time and have them again now.

I was diagnosed with a borderline ovarian cancer in 2004 and didn't need chemo or radiation. However, I still see my gyn/onco doctor every year for checkups. I'm still waiting on my ca125 which he ordered last week because I've been having bowel trouble (which another surgeon says was caused by adhesions).

I have a history of endometriosis and that can certainly cause alot of pain. You may want to seek a second opinion and see what they have to say.

How did your ct scan turn out?

Closed Thread