It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2010, 10:23 AM   #1
(female)

alwaysamommy HB User
New - Worrisome U/S Results

Hi everyone. I've been reading these boards for a while, and finally decided to join because of some medical issues I'm having. I had a transvaginal U/S on Thursday because of some stomach issues and abdominal pain I've been having. I got my results back, and all my doctor told me was that I have "non specific changes, and would like you to see a GYN to see what their opinion is." Didn't tell me if I could be looking at something potentially serious or not. Now of course it's the weekend, and I can't get a hold of him and won't even be able to make an appt with a GYN until Monday. I'm terrified of what these results could mean. Obviously, I know none of you are doctors, and I don't expect to be diagnosed on the internet. Just wondering if anyone had similar test results and what the outcome was for them. Here is what my U/S said:
"The uterus measures 7.3 x 5.1 x 6.3 cm in size with slightly
heterogeneous echotexture. The endometrial stripe is thickened measuring
2.2 cm in thickness, and appears heterogeneous.

The right ovary measures 4.2 x 2.5 x 2.0 cm in size. There is a rounded
echogenic focus within the right ovary measuring 2.1 x 1.6 x 1.4 cm in
size, with blood flow within it. The left ovary measures 2.8 x 2.3 x 2.7
cm in size, with normal echotexture and scattered small follicles within
it.

There is minimal free fluid in the pelvis, within physiologic range.

IMPRESSION:

1. Thickened heterogeneous endometrium. Please correlate clinically.

2. Rounded echogenic structure in the right ovary containing blood flow
within it. This is nonspecific in appearance by ultrasound.
Differential includes a dermoid or other solid lesion.

3. Unremarkable sonographic appearance of the left ovary.

4. Trace free fluid within the pelvis, within physiologic range."

If anyone has any insight for me, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm only 25, and I have a 2.5 year old son and all I can think about is not being around to see him grow up. I should also add that my mom and aunt both had endometriosis, and my mom's was so severe she had to have a complete hysterectomy. I'm just not sure if these test results point to that or not....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2010, 07:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User
Re: New - Worrisome U/S Results

Don't know what the stuff about your ovaries could mean, but as for the thickened endometrium, I went through this just recently and posted about it here:

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showpost.php?p=4642846&postcount=26

Mine was 20 mm (2 cm) thick. I had a D&C, and just got my results today: normal. No further treatment required (hooray!)
If it had showed hyperplasia, my doc was going to put me on 3 months of Progestrone, then do an endo biopsy in 3 months to make sure it had gone back to normal. I'm relieved I don't have to do all that now.

Apparently there is no "upper limit" of normal thickness in reproductive-age women.
A thick endometrium could mean something (like polyps or hyperplasia), or it could just be normal, because of where you are in your cycle.
When it's thick like ours, they have to explore it further to make a diagnosis (meaning endometrial biopsy or D&C).
Because it could be something, they can't just ignore it.
They can't diagnose anything through an ultrasound. They need to get a tissue sample and send it to a lab. So that's probably going to be your next step.

My ultrasound also said something about a "deflating cyst" on my ovary or something like that; my gyno said that was normal. it just meant I'd ovulated that month.

/ shrug. Bodies are a mystery.

Last edited by Kali333; 12-16-2010 at 07:14 PM.

Closed Thread