It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2011, 06:29 PM   #1
(female)

challah HB User
Colposcopy says inflammation after LSIL pap?

I posted another thread several weeks ago over in the HPV forum while waiting for my colposcopy appointment after an HPV+ and LSIL pap.

The colposcopy was a week ago, and I was told to call today if I hadn't heard from them yet about the lab work, so I did. I didn't get to speak with the doctor. But what they did tell me was that the colposcopy (I guess, rather, it was the endocervical curettage I had done during the colposcopy) showed "no cancer", but "inflammation". She had me set up an appointment next week (ANOTHER week's waiting, after already having waited 6 weeks for the colposcopy after the bad pap and then a week after the colposcopy for these results) to go over the path report with the Dr.

When I asked if this meant it is not reading as "LSIL" anymore, she said that designation is only given on paps (really?). I said "So no cell changes were seen?" and she just reiterated "No, no cancer" (but cell changes aren't necessarily cancer, so... ?)

Anyway, I'm wondering what the possible outcomes of this are. I'm a little concerned that they're insisting on meeting the doctor in person for this "going over the pathology report" thing... I live in a remote area and have to travel far to the doctor and they know this, so why not do it over the phone unless it's bad news? On the other hand, "inflammation" doesn't sound very bad. Could it be equivalant to an ASCUS pap? Could it just be that my immune system is kicking the HPV as expected (with the help of all the immunity supplements I've been taking), and this inflammation is what's left of what was previously showing up as LSIL?

Last edited by challah; 02-09-2011 at 06:30 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2011, 06:09 PM   #2
(female)

challah HB User
Re: Colposcopy says inflammation after LSIL pap?

Thought I'd update this. I got to talk to the office today again.

It turns out there was no need to schedule a follow up for going over the pathology report, and it's been canceled. The path report from the endocervical curettage indicated there were no cellular abnormalities, just inflammation (the nurse who spoke to me yesterday misinterpreted that as "She has an infection, the doctor will want to prescribe antibiotics"). The inflammation just my endocervical eversion, likely due to my years of birth control pill usage and is, I understand, not of concern.

So, what I make of all of this is that I had a new HPV infection. The pap caught me as it was having its transient effect on me, causing the LSIL reading on the December pap that active HPV is known for. I went into supplementation-immune-boosting-mode and by the time of my colposcopy 6 weeks later, the cell changes had gone away. Whether that was because of the attention I've been paying to my immune system or whether it would have regressed on its own without all that I don't know... but it couldn't have hurt, might have helped.

I go for a follow-up pap in 6 months (I assume another HPV test then), repeat that two more times, and if by the third time I'm still ok, it's back to a normal schedule.

Happily, my babymaking plans for later this year can now be full-steam ahead... I'll start right after that August pap (which is going to be FINE, I just know it!)

Old 02-10-2011, 06:36 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

curly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB User

Hurray for good news!!!

Old 02-10-2011, 06:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User

That is such good news!

Old 09-12-2011, 07:50 AM   #5
(female)

alexis7383 HB User

Hey how did everything go?? if you dont mind whats the update on everything? did the paps come back okay?...i too have to go in for a colposcopy very soon and im so scared idk what to expect...hearing positive stories makes me feel better in light that majoity of the info online seem so dreary..you kno?...keep me posted pretty please!

Old 09-12-2011, 07:38 PM   #6
(female)

challah HB User

I went back for a repeat pap in early August. A week later it came back ASCUS and positive HPV They immediately scheduled me for a repeat colposcoy and I was really bummed out because they weren't going to get me in until the end of Sept (and I wanted to TTC in mid Sept and I knew I wouldn't be able to confirm a pregnancy until after the beginning of October - so it would mean either not TTC or going ahead and risking cervical biopsy when I might have conceived the previous week.

Anyway, I asked to be put on a waiting list for canceled appointments and as luck would have it, I got in a few days later. She repeated the colposcopy and said that my cervix still looked really good, and did not in fact do a biopsy.. She got a good look at the endocervical canal, so didn't have to repeat the endocervical curettage.

She said we should cautiously look at the ASCUS as "most of the cell changes are back to normal, with just a little bit hanging around" and I repeat the pap in 6 months again. Hopefully I'll be in earlier than then anyway, since I'm hoping for a positive pregnancy test this month or soon after! She said there was no need to change those plans. I think she's pretty convinced now that I am far from being the type to go into denial and stop returning for follow-up, so she's content enough to just monitor this and see how it goes.

I'm optimistic, despite the setback with it being ASCUS when I was sure it would be clear. As I see it, it hasn't even been a year since my first positive HPV test, so that's well within the normal timeframe. If I'm not kicking it by this time next year, I'll be a little more concerned. And of course, throughout the whole time I'll be closely monitored.

I'm mostly happy I don't have to adjust my baby plans.

Good luck to you! The colposcopy was really nothing to me. That might have had to do with the fact that I didn't have a biopsy, but really, it was no bigger deal than a pap. Actually, it was more comfortable than a pap because I hate that pressing they do on the abdomen with the pap, and with the colposcopy that didn't happen.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #7
(female)

challah HB User

One more update on my situation: repeat pap done last month came back normal and negative for HPV. So it appears I cleared it within a year, just shy of my 33rd birthday.

Closed Thread