It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2011, 06:48 PM   #1
(female)

SG1000 HB User
Frightened - Complex Ovarian Cysts

Hi everyone,

I'm reading around and am just very scared with all I'm reading. I had a problem with ovarian cysts 2-1/2 years ago. They did studies and found two cysts. I know my doctor said complex but can't recall which type. I believe she said they were small which must have been the case. I was supposed to get another study done about a year out but felt fine so didn't. I think I thought the cysts must have resolved since no problems had recurred or that cysts were not that important to worry about other than potential pain again if they contort or burst. I've always been cystic in general. I do remember reading or her saying menopause will cause these, so it seemed a natural occurrence and to be expected.

Anyway, I'm reading how complex cysts are called ovarian cancer by medical professionals. How could no one tell me this? I've been to my primary care doc several times since and am very surprised it wasn't brought up again. So here I am over two years later with who knows what going on inside me. I see where complex cysts rarely resolve on their own. It looks like these need to be removed and biopsied not just sit there even if they're causing no problems. No one said anything about surgery, just observation. I would think this would have been flagged as very important on my medical history for follow up. I'm just not understanding this.

From what I understand now it looks like I will need surgery to remove and biopsy these things. I feel like I should just get everything taken out if cancer is a risk with my body. Who can go through all those studies and surgeries every time a cyst pops up.

I'm so mad at myself for not realizing or worrying about this. I was not thinking very well at the time. Certainly I must have looked around on the net back then but obviously didn't realize cysts could be serious or come across all this OVCA stuff. I don't understand why my doctor wouldn't have been on top of it if it's of such great concern. The article by an MD at university said complex ovarian cysts are considered to be ovarian cancer and should be operated to exclude or diagnose a cancer.

Thanks for listening. I know I can't turn back the clock and can only move forward one step at a time but it will take a while to get an appointment, studies, and to know what's going on with them at this distant point. I'm so afraid of surgery and something complicated to deal with.

The following user gives a hug of support to SG1000:
Pshorty (11-27-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2011, 12:49 PM   #2
(female)

azlisa60 HB User
Re: Frightened - Complex Ovarian Cysts

I myself have a complex ovarian cyst about 3 cm's had a second opionion and what I was told that it is smaller that 8 cm's that the doctor takes a wait and see approach. I have had the cyst for what I am told for 2 years with no significate changes. I have ultrasounds every 6 months and a CA-125 test just to make sure. Actually doctor has given me three approaches, take birth control pills and see if that help, surgery or wait and see. For right now I am going to wait till the next ultrasound in August to see if any changes. I hope this helps you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG1000 View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm reading around and am just very scared with all I'm reading. I had a problem with ovarian cysts 2-1/2 years ago. They did studies and found two cysts. I know my doctor said complex but can't recall which type. I believe she said they were small which must have been the case. I was supposed to get another study done about a year out but felt fine so didn't. I think I thought the cysts must have resolved since no problems had recurred or that cysts were not that important to worry about other than potential pain again if they contort or burst. I've always been cystic in general. I do remember reading or her saying menopause will cause these, so it seemed a natural occurrence and to be expected.

Anyway, I'm reading how complex cysts are called ovarian cancer by medical professionals. How could no one tell me this? I've been to my primary care doc several times since and am very surprised it wasn't brought up again. So here I am over two years later with who knows what going on inside me. I see where complex cysts rarely resolve on their own. It looks like these need to be removed and biopsied not just sit there even if they're causing no problems. No one said anything about surgery, just observation. I would think this would have been flagged as very important on my medical history for follow up. I'm just not understanding this.

From what I understand now it looks like I will need surgery to remove and biopsy these things. I feel like I should just get everything taken out if cancer is a risk with my body. Who can go through all those studies and surgeries every time a cyst pops up.

I'm so mad at myself for not realizing or worrying about this. I was not thinking very well at the time. Certainly I must have looked around on the net back then but obviously didn't realize cysts could be serious or come across all this OVCA stuff. I don't understand why my doctor wouldn't have been on top of it if it's of such great concern. The article by an MD at university said complex ovarian cysts are considered to be ovarian cancer and should be operated to exclude or diagnose a cancer.

Thanks for listening. I know I can't turn back the clock and can only move forward one step at a time but it will take a while to get an appointment, studies, and to know what's going on with them at this distant point. I'm so afraid of surgery and something complicated to deal with.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:01 PM   #3
(female)

SG1000 HB User

Thanks for responding, Lisa : ) That's very good to know. I would think it would be obvious if they had gotten to be 3 inches by now. I don't feel any bulges or pressure. I am now wondering if they've grown because of more frequent urge to urinate without real volume (pressing on bladder maybe). Think that's been going on for some time. I do drink a lot of fluids so maybe not.

I'm able to get an US late next week, thankfully. My gyn can see me in a month for a routine exam which isn't too bad. Hopefully next week will just put this to rest that they've resolved themselves over the past two years. I can even ask the tech when I'm there without having to wait the weekend or so. I sure wish it were another MRI instead because the transvag was painful for me. And the last colposcopy. I'm a DES daughter so I'm worrying quite a bit at this point that I've reached my fate already. I didn't really worry about the DES when I was younger. The internet can sure get one going reading all these real life things that can happen with our bodies. I'm really afraid of the pain. That's why I didn't go back to the gyn. But I could've gotten the MRI part done easily. Wasn't thinking very well. I wish I had known these were something serious to follow up with.

Thanks so much for letting me know they are watching yours up to a 3 inch size. That's a surprisingly large size. I wonder why they wait that long to remove them.

Good luck with yours and take care.

Thanks.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:56 AM   #4
(female)

SG1000 HB User

So it's an endiometrioma, still there but smaller. I think this is good news but haven't found much technical info yet. Looking at the image, its coloring looked dark two years ago. Now it has a more grayed appearance and looks much smaller to me. It went from 3.5cm to 2.5cm. The report will be released on Monday. Hopefully my doctor will call to explain rather than waiting for the April gyn exam.

I'm under the impression the endometriomas aren't one of the problem or higher risk cysts in terms of OVCA. That it's better than a dermoid. They're part of having endometriosis with the potential for pain. Maybe it absorbs easier too? I sure don't want to undergo surgery for a biopsy.

I'm going to take Vit E because my mother always found that helpful to control her cysts (breasts) even though the docs didn't think it would do anything. All in her head I guess.

If anyone has any information or experience with theirs, please share.

Thanks.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:47 PM   #5
(female)

Natty7557 HB User

Hi I hope everything goes well. I currently have 3 cyst on both ovaries 2 on my left and one on my right, 3 months ago I had one on my left at 2cm now I have two one is 5 cm and the other is 4cm. THe one on my right is 3.5 cm. I look pregnant and have trouble fitting into my clothes. I had a partial hysto 6 months ago so definately not preggy!!
I am tired also lot of pain, bloating, loss of apetite which is not good as I am a diabetic.
thanks for your Post it was helpful somewhat to know I am not the only one.

The following user gives a hug of support to Natty7557:
SG1000 (12-18-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to Natty7557 For This Useful Post:
SG1000 (12-18-2011)
Old 05-12-2011, 05:02 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG1000 View Post
So it's an endiometrioma, still there but smaller. I think this is good news but haven't found much technical info yet. Looking at the image, its coloring looked dark two years ago. Now it has a more grayed appearance and looks much smaller to me. It went from 3.5cm to 2.5cm. The report will be released on Monday. Hopefully my doctor will call to explain rather than waiting for the April gyn exam.

I'm under the impression the endometriomas aren't one of the problem or higher risk cysts in terms of OVCA. That it's better than a dermoid. They're part of having endometriosis with the potential for pain. Maybe it absorbs easier too? I sure don't want to undergo surgery for a biopsy.

I'm going to take Vit E because my mother always found that helpful to control her cysts (breasts) even though the docs didn't think it would do anything. All in her head I guess.

If anyone has any information or experience with theirs, please share.

Thanks.
SG1000... cancer doesn't get "smaller".
Ergo, it ain't cancer.
Go have an ice cream sundae to celebrate.

I'm 12 weeks pregnant, and found out at my 8 week prenatal appt that I have a complex cyst on my ovary. Small... 2 cm. Also, a simple cyst, on the same ovary.

I was freaking out bad initially... but now I'm taking a "wait and see" approach.
Cancer doesn't run in my family, and I'm pretty young to have ovarian cancer anyway... so i tell myself that it probably isn't cancer.
As my pregnancy progresses, they'll continue to monitor the cysts and see if they change size.
If they grow a lot, they may remove them, even before the pregnancy is over. Apparently they can do this fairly safely during the second trimester.

So anyway, you're not alone. Hang in there.
if I were you I'd be celebrating. You know cancer NEVER just spontaneously "gets smaller", so you know what you have isn't cancer.

I'd also consider getting it removed if I were you, just for your own peace of mind. Who needs it? Who wants a complex ovarian cyst, cancerous or not?
The procedure to remove it laproscopically is minor and not painful at all, from what I've heard.
I plan to get mine removed one way or the other, once my pregnancy's over.
The only question right now is, will I need it removed even BEFORE the pregnancy's over, and that will depend on whether (and how fast) it grows.

The following user gives a hug of support to Kali333:
SG1000 (12-18-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to Kali333 For This Useful Post:
SG1000 (12-18-2011)
Old 05-12-2011, 05:15 PM   #7
(female)

Natty7557 HB User
Smile Re: Frightened - Complex Ovarian Cysts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali333 View Post
Ergo, it ain't cancer.

I'm 12 weeks pregnant, and found out at my 8 week prenatal appt that I have a complex cyst on my ovary. Small... 2 cm. Also, a simple cyst, on the same ovary.

I was freaking out bad initially... but now I'm taking a "wait and see" approach.
Cancer doesn't run in my family, and I'm pretty young to have ovarian cancer anyway... so i tell myself that it probably isn't cancer.
As my pregnancy progresses, they'll continue to monitor the cysts and see if they change size.
If they grow a lot, they may remove them, even before the pregnancy is over. Apparently they can do this fairly safely during the second trimester.

So anyway, you're not alone. Hang in there.
if I were you I'd be celebrating. You know cancer NEVER just spontaneously "gets smaller", so you know what you have isn't cancer.

I'd also consider getting it removed if I were you, just for your own peace of mind. Who needs it? Who wants a complex ovarian cyst, cancerous or not?
The procedure to remove it laproscopically is minor and not painful at all, from what I've heard.
I plan to get mine removed one way or the other, once my pregnancy's over.
The only question right now is, will I need it removed even BEFORE the pregnancy's over, and that will depend on whether (and how fast) it grows.
Hi so sorry to hear that you have it during your pregnancy.
I am lucky in theat respect I know.

How far along are you? Have you found out if its dangerous for your baby to operate.

Hope all goes well
Cheers

Old 12-18-2011, 12:04 PM   #8
(female)

SG1000 HB User

Thought this thread was long since over.

Quote:
Ergo, it ain't cancer.
Thanks Kali. That makes perfect sense and is good to know. The doctors and techs have not told me anything like that.

Hope you and your baby are doing well. They are usually benign cysts and apparently common so hopefully yours were just hormone related due to pregnancy or something.

Thanks Natty for your support. Hope you are doing well.

It is very scarey not knowing what is going on in our bodies. This day and age, with hype and doctors seeing every microscopic change and wanting to make lots of money or avoid law suits, normal occurrences in our bodies can be made too much of. I am struggling with health insurance costs due to this and other minor problems. Insurance companies make a big deal about nothing. My rates are outrageous and becoming unaffordable. God forbid anything major should happen. Then what.

Thanks for your support.

Last edited by SG1000; 12-18-2011 at 07:07 PM.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:28 AM   #9
(female)

Mom2EE HB User

Hi SG1000,

I am also dealing with a complex ovarian cyst and I am so unbelievably scared. Like you, mine has been in my body for over a year and I wish I would have just had it taken out, but it was relatively small (2.5 cm) and it wasn't causing any symptoms (no pain, even when doing intense aerobic exercise) so I just continued to monitor it with the dr. Well, since about October I've been having pain at ovulation which lasts for about a week, and as of December it lasted for 10 days and even radiated around to my back (which freaked me out big time, I was hysterical crying with worry!) What happened with your cyst? Do you ever have any pain/symptoms? I didn't read through all 11 pages of this thread, so I'm sorry if I am asking any questions that you've already answered. I am scheduled for lap surgery in 10 days and just want to have some positive thoughts to hold onto until then. Thanks, and I hope all is well with you.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:33 AM   #10
(female)

Mom2EE HB User

Hi AZLisa,

I also have a complex cyst that we've been monitoring for about a year and a half. Did you ever have any pain or other symptoms with your cysts? I didn't have any symptoms at all until about 2 months ago, so now I am rushing to get this thing out. I get twingy pain around ovulation and back pain on the left side (where the cyst is). I am so scared and just wanted to talk to someone else who has been dealing with these things. Thanks.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:31 PM   #11
(female)

Twixt HB UserTwixt HB User

Hi SG1000,

I hope all is well with you - did you end up getting surgery for your cysts? I know you mentioned in your original post that surgery and a biopsy were possibilities.

I'm also really sorry for all the stress you've had to go through. It's not like, say, getting a broken bone (where you get the injury, you know exactly what's going on, you go to the doctor and you know what to expect as you're recovering).

With cysts, you find out that there's something inside you that may or may not be supposed to be there, and then you have to deal with the worry and anxiety (and late-night internet searches that only make you feel even more worried).

And then when you get follow-up tests, you still feel worried because you don't get results right away, and there might very well be even more follow-up tests and even more waiting.

Not fun.

I've commented on several people's threads (and on my own, as well) that the worrying and the stress is by far the worst part. I've just found out that I need to get an MRI (not sure when, yet - am waiting to hear back either from the hospital or my family doctor's office), so I'm currently following my own advice in terms of trying my best to reduce stress, etc.

Anyway, I hope that your cysts resolved, and that things are well.

Regards,

Twixt

Last edited by Twixt; 01-07-2012 at 10:34 PM.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #12
(female)

SG1000 HB User

Hi Mom2,

It can be scarey. I had retests done and they are still there but a bit smaller. It is endometrial. I believe she said one is gone but then two were referred to later so I'm not sure what happened. I don't have periods anymore (menop) so don't have discomfort then. I believe I had pain during my periods from this before. When I learned of the cysts it was due to severe crippling pain for a few days. I think that's when they burst or contort. I had it before but didn't realize what was going on and it went away. With shrinking cysts, it seems there's not much concern.

One important thing I learned is that cyst are common and normal. They watch them just in case. With high technology, they see so much more than before but a lot of this stuff is just normal body stuff. A lot of CYA going on so they don't end up getting sued if something should happen to go wrong.

Good luck with your surgery. Hope it isn't painful (very scarey part for me).

Thank you!

Last edited by SG1000; 01-08-2012 at 02:11 PM.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:10 PM   #13
(female)

SG1000 HB User

Thank you Twixt. I agree, the stress is terrible. And the thought of pain. The cysts are a bit smaller. Surgery hasn't been mentioned. I guess next year they will revisit whether to check their size again. They tend to overuse diagnostics, so I'm guessing they'll want to look again. I'm not really worried much anymore since one might have disappeared and the other is smaller. I've learned that cysts are normal and expected during menopause as well as when menstruating. They just have to watch them in case. It would be much better to not have anything to worry about or cause pain and stress but such is life!

Good luck with the MRI. They are noisy but that's about it.

Thank you!

Closed Thread