It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2011, 11:18 AM   #1
(female)

Harley Q HB User
Very worried

i been spotting off and on with minor cramps and a heaviness feeling in my cervix. It feels like i always have that tickling feeling of wanting to urinate. My last period started 46 days ago and is now a week late. in the last few days my left breast have been hurting. As of yesterday and today the spotting stopped and so did the cramps and breast pain. For a month i been feeling like my period is about to begin and instead its brown spotting. It comes and goes and never turns into a period. I highly doubt im pregnant because my bbts have been lower than usual this cycle with no increase in temperature to indicate ovulation. I recently put an appointment with a gyno but i was just wondering if anyone ever experienced this. I took birthcontrol two months ago but stopped. Im afraid it may be cervical cancer :/

Old 04-03-2011, 11:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User
Re: Very worried

That sounds nothing like cervical cancer. Are you getting PAPs regularly?
With very few exceptions, cervical cancer takes years- usually at least ten years- to develop. First you'll have varying degrees of CIN, which is a precancerous condition.
It is extremely rare for full-blown cervical cancer to just develop suddenly with no warning. Usually there's years and years of advance warning.

The symptoms you describe sound like a bladder infection or UTI.
If your "cervix" feels weird/heavy/whatever (not sure how you can tell it's your cervix; I can't feel mine, except when it gets bumped during rough sex), it could be a condition called cervical ectropion, also known as cervical erosion. This is a common, harmless condition caused by taking birth control pills, where your cervix becomes oversensitive/mildly irritated/inflamed, and sometimes bleeds easily, causing spotting (esp after intercourse). The condition is caused by the high levels of hormones in the bc pills. It requires no treatment, and typically resolves itself a few months after you discontinue the pills.

I'm not sure why you haven't had a period in so long. Are you pregnant? Have you tested? Is it normal for you to have such long cycles? Do you have PCOS? If I were you, I'd forget about your cervix, and go to the doctor to find out why you aren't having a period.

I have heard that it sometimes takes a while for your period to become normal again after stopping the pill, although this has not been my personal experience.

Good luck.

Last edited by Kali333; 04-03-2011 at 11:55 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2011, 02:30 PM   #3
(female)

Harley Q HB User

I can feel my cervix because i can touch it. Sometimes its low and sometimes its high. I know when it expands when i have my period because it hurts where i touched it so i know its my cervix. I dont have pcos. I do have regular papsmears. My cycles are usually 30-38 days. I only took one birth control pill two months ago then completly stopped because im paranoid about them leading to cancer. Im def not pregnant because my bbt never went up instead its really low so its not possible. The reason im so paranoid about cancer is because someone o grew up with recently died of breast cancer and she was only 18. I also no two other young people that have it but their case is not as severe as the one that died. Today is sunday my appointment is next week so i guess ill find out. Thanks for taking your time to read my post.. You were my only response i really apreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali333 View Post
That sounds nothing like cervical cancer. Are you getting PAPs regularly?
With very few exceptions, cervical cancer takes years- usually at least ten years- to develop. First you'll have varying degrees of CIN, which is a precancerous condition.
It is extremely rare for full-blown cervical cancer to just develop suddenly with no warning. Usually there's years and years of advance warning.

The symptoms you describe sound like a bladder infection or UTI.
If your "cervix" feels weird/heavy/whatever (not sure how you can tell it's your cervix; I can't feel mine, except when it gets bumped during rough sex), it could be a condition called cervical ectropion, also known as cervical erosion. This is a common, harmless condition caused by taking birth control pills, where your cervix becomes oversensitive/mildly irritated/inflamed, and sometimes bleeds easily, causing spotting (esp after intercourse). The condition is caused by the high levels of hormones in the bc pills. It requires no treatment, and typically resolves itself a few months after you discontinue the pills.

I'm not sure why you haven't had a period in so long. Are you pregnant? Have you tested? Is it normal for you to have such long cycles? Do you have PCOS? If I were you, I'd forget about your cervix, and go to the doctor to find out why you aren't having a period.

I have heard that it sometimes takes a while for your period to become normal again after stopping the pill, although this has not been my personal experience.

Good luck.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User

If you have regular PAPs and they're normal, then you have no need to worry about cervical cancer. If you want to be extra-extra sure, ask your doctor for an HPV test next time, as well. These are routinely done on women over 35, but not usually offered to younger women.
If you don't have HPV, then you don't have the virus which causes cervical cancer, and that should lay your worries to rest once and for all.

It's normal (as you probably know) for your cervix to change position and be higher or lower, depending upon where you are in your cycle. It also changes from soft (like your lips) to hard (like the tip of your nose) depending on where you are in your cycle.
It is normal to feel a bit of discomfort when you apply pressure to it.

I understand how having someone close to you die can make you paranoid about your own health. I've experienced that myself.
But you need to convince yourself that this is a psychological issue, rather than a physical one, so that you can work through it.
You don't have cancer. Really, really you don't.

Best wishes.

Last edited by Kali333; 04-03-2011 at 02:40 PM.

Closed Thread