It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2011, 05:24 PM   #1
(female)

xandra128 HB User
Cool LEEP story

Firstly, a link to my original post: http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?p=4725345#post4725345

It took me awhile longer to schedule my LEEP than I would have liked because my clinic never asked me what kind of anesthesia I would prefer. They assumed I wanted to be put under and NEVER asked. I was so upset. When I finally informed them I wanted the local, I got lucky & got an appointment the next day [Tuesday 4/19/11].

Yes, I went back to the doctor I hate, and yes, he was just as annoying, but I brought my mother with me, so she made him play nice. I also talked to my nurse for awhile before the procedure. She was helpful, so I think I'll switch doctors, but not clinics now that I know how to work around the stupid front desk people to get what I want.

Anyway, once I finally went in for the LEEP, this is what happened:
•They numbed me up (worst part for sure, still not that bad)
•I waited 15 minutes for the anesthesia to become effective.
•The doctor used the loop machine & grabbed my bad cells. This actually did hurt a tiny bit. I could feel it for sure. Dunno what that's about, but, whatever. It was over quick & no big deal.

Seriously, reading all these message board posts scared me unnecessarily. If you're reading now, and scared about having a LEEP, I'd tell you to close this window ASAP & go get some ice cream or something ...easier said than done, I know.

Anyway, afterwords...

There was a moderate amount of blood at first. I used a pad that afternoon. Since then, it's tapered off & I don't think I'm even bleeding or anything at all now, 52 hours out. I didn't cramp much. I took some Tylenol.

I know I might bleed/discharge more as the healing process continues. That's what happened when I had my biopsy, but I feel really relieved, and so far NOTHING has been as bad as I've read on this damn message board. My doctor seemed positive that he got everything & said even if my next pap shows some CIN, the chances that I have another LEEP are slim to none.

My followup is scheduled for 5/3/11, so until then I'm just planning on taking it easy, getting the Gardasil shot ASAP, taking my multivitamin religiously & making my boyfriend take good care of me.

Hope everyone else is well. I'm happy to answer questions from anyone going through this. It's scary, & you need to look for positivity instead of all of these scared posts from the small percentage of people who have had terrible experiences....

<3

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xandra128 For This Useful Post:
Kali333 (04-24-2011), Michellemomof3 (05-03-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2011, 01:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User
Re: LEEP story

Glad it wasn't as bad as you'd feared, Xandra!
I agree that people tend to post about their "terrible" experiences more often than their "gee-that-wasn't-so-bad" experiences. Or maybe they just can't resist the urge to dramatize things.
I've found this is true for any medical procedure you'd care to look up on the internet: biopsies, mammograms, D & Cs, childbirth, CT scans w/ dye injection, any type of procedure or surgery.
People who post about their "personal experiences" with these things... always seem to have had the worst possible experiences ever!

I was reading a message on my pregnancy board the other day where a woman posted that a recent PAP smear was the worst experience of her life... that she was crying and screaming for the doctor to stop, that it was the worst pain she'd ever endured, and that she bled buckets afterward.
I mean, seriously: a PAP smear.

See, a girl who had never had one might read something like that and decide never to have one.

That's why I'm glad you took the time to post your realistic and very encouraging perspective on your LEEP experience.

Best of luck, and happy healing.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kali333 For This Useful Post:
xandra128 (04-24-2011)
Old 05-02-2011, 05:08 AM   #3
(female)

diva73 HB User

I am new to the site and want to ask you about your LEEP procedure if you dont mind a personal question here or two! What CIN level where you diagnosed with? I am going today for surgical consultation regarding CIN 2 level (lesion) inside cervix and my doctor gave me choice of partial hysterectmy or Leep procedure! Scared unsure! Why would he give me choice? Isnt he the one suppose to tell me what to do? Just stressed and worried sick to stomach!

Old 05-02-2011, 01:07 PM   #4
(female)

xandra128 HB User

After my pap, my doctor said my CIN was severe (CIN III), but my colposcopy came back showing moderate dysplasia (CIN II).

I'm not sure why you were given the choice, and I'm so sorry it's confusing.
I'm not sure how old you are, but I'm 24 and probably will eventually have children (not thinking about it right now, but not disgusted by the idea), so the LEEP procedure was what's recommended & I know doctors try to be careful about how much of the cervix they have to take since the LEEP can cause pregnancy complications. If you've already had children, maybe your doctor thinks a hysterectomy would be a better way to go?

It sounds extreme to me. I haven't heard of that happening before, but if you've got CIN II, don't stress, just get it taken care of....and like I said before, log out & go outside & distract yourself. The stress & worry is absolutely not worth it.

Good luck.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:21 PM   #5
(female)

diva73 HB User
Exclamation Re: LEEP story

Thank you for your reply! And i am 38 years old! I am getting LEEP procedure done on outside and inside cervix on May 24th went to see doctor today for surgical consultation and i askd why such a huge difference in choice to give me on my plate of leep or partial hysterectmy and he said that since i am 38 and wont be having any more children he didnt think it would hurt to just take the uterus out! OMG! My response was well if you where told that your "tool" was out of order and would not be in use anymore then would you mind if we just remove it?.. He said we are talking about you and your procedures not qualifing me and impotence! Guess my anxiety is getting the best of me! Somebody stop me! I think with all this going on i am my own worst judge, jury and enemy!
Venting! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Old 05-04-2011, 10:05 AM   #6
(female)

xandra128 HB User

I had my followup this morning, and things look fine. Doctor told me just one more week of "pelvic rest" ...but then I'll have my period, so just to be safe, I'll take at least two more weeks.

I got the happy, "endocervical margins are all widley free of dysplasia" diagnosis, and I go back for a pap in six months.

So, so happy to have this over with. Thank y'all for listening & I hope everyone else is well.

The following user gives a hug of support to xandra128:
luvbug412 (05-04-2011)
Old 05-04-2011, 06:00 PM   #7
(female)

diva73 HB User
Smile Re: LEEP story

CONGRATS!!!!! i am sooooooooo glad to hear your results are GREAT!

Old 05-05-2011, 04:42 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User

Yippee! thank God.
Hopefully, this is the last time you'll ever have to deal with anything like this.

Best of luck.

Closed Thread