It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2011, 11:32 AM   #1
(female)

Serendipity27 HB User
Unhappy First abnormal pap - Lsil, colposcopy scheduled

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this website and really enjoy reading the advice, experiences, and information from everyone.

Anyways, I am terrified! I have been going to the Obgyn since I was 17 and never had an abnormal pap. I was also given the gardasil shot before being sexually active. I have never been pregnant and have always tested negative for all STDs/STIs.

A couple weeks ago I was told that my pap came back abnormal with lsil. It seems that the nurses are assuming it's due to an infection with hpv but I always had safe sex and thought the gardasil shot offered some sort of protection. What exactly does this mean? Could it still be hpv? What will the colposcopy determine?

Any experience or advice is greatly appreciated as this is all I can think about!

The following user gives a hug of support to Serendipity27:
diva73 (05-01-2011)
Old 05-01-2011, 12:12 PM   #2
(female)

diva73 HB User
Wink Re: First abnormal pap - Lsil, colposcopy scheduled

Hello! I am new to this site as of today as well! I do not have helpful words for you i am sorry i can tell you that i am a 38 yearold single mother who had my first "abnormal" pap test as well! Was referred to a gyno had a biopsy done on cervix and am diagnosed with high grade cervical dysplasia.I have what is called a "lesion" inside my cervix i go tommorow for surgical consultation! And i am scared to death! so maybe we can help each other along our paths! I hope you greater results and happier days!

The following user gives a hug of support to diva73:
Serendipity27 (05-01-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2011, 12:25 PM   #3
(female)

Serendipity27 HB User
Re: First abnormal pap - Lsil, colposcopy scheduled

Hi,

Thank you so much for your response! I find that talking about these experiences really help ease anxiety and stress. I'm sorry to hear that you're scared and wish I knew more about these procedures and diagnoses. I go in for my colpo next monday. I want to believe that we'll have happier futures ahead of us and we just need to get past this. I am always more than willing to talk and help if I can. Good luck with the consultation! Thanks again

Old 05-02-2011, 08:32 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

luvbug412 HB Userluvbug412 HB User

Fear is a normal part of any diagnosis, I am afraid. This is the second time around for me. Most of the time I stay busy enough to not let it get to me, but I have good days and bad days. I've been back onto the boards for the last few weeks. I was diagnoses with ASCUS in 2009, followed by CIN III, and the LEEP came back as AIS (adenocarcinoma in situ).

Now I am back. My latest pap came back clear but positive for HPV. Because of my history, my Dr. decided to do a colpo and ECC. The good news is that the colpo biopsy came back benig cervical mucosa with endocervicitis. ECC on the other hand, atypical endocervical glandular epithelium, inconclusive for dysplasia.

Because of my history, I got back on Wed for another ECC and an endometrial biopsy.

Right now is one of my bad days. I'm scared .... it comes and goes. Will I live? Sure.. I will. Just wish I had the nerve right now to tell myself "Heck with it - bring it on - I'll take whatever you want to throw at me" but I don't. It's hard to be strong all of the time, but unfortunately that is not just other people's expectations but an unrealistic one we set on ourselves.

Spout, cry, scream.... trust me - it helps... I think

*hug* to you all. I am just venting since I need to get it out before I burst.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:11 AM   #5
(female)

Serendipity27 HB User

Hi luvbug,

I feel the same way in that I have good and bad days. Sometimes I feel like everything is okay and I have everything I need (a good support system) but other times I feel like it may be too much for me. Like I wish this didn't have to happen. I know that these procedures help prevent cervical cancer but sometimes I feel like they're so invasive and scary. The doctors also give you many "maybes" and "if" situations - "you maybe ok IF you continue to do so-and-so."

Sometimes I just want to relax and enjoy life. I can understand what you mean when you say, "will I live?" yeah sure. Yeah and that's why these procedures and diagnosis are important. But sometimes it's just so hard to understand why this happens to us.

I'm still waiting for my colpo but in the meantime I have final exams to worry about as well. I'm hoping that everything will be okay and in the end I think it will be but in the meantime, we just have to wait. We just have to do lots and lots of waiting and hope that we more "good days" than "bad days."

Thanks again!

Closed Thread

Tags
abnormal pap, colposcopy, gardasil, hpv, lsil