It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2011, 10:21 PM   #1
(female)

Serendipity27 HB User
CIN I - How long does it take for it to go away?

I recently had a colposcopy done and the doctor seems to think I have CIN I - which is apparently "good" in the scope of things. She says that if the pathology reports (from the biopsy done during the colposcopy) agree with the pap (lsil) than all is well and I will just need to follow-up in 6 mo. She told me that many cases of lsil/CIN I go away on their own.

How long does it take for this to go away? Is it possible to have a normal pap in 6 months?

I'm so confused about whether or not this can worsen or if it truly goes away on its own. Regardless, I'm trying to remain hopeful that this will go away on its own and not progress. Any experiences or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:58 PM   #2
(female)

Sunrader HB User
Re: CIN I - How long does it take for it to go away?

They say 90% of cases resolve in two years. Yes, of course it can worsen but it takes a very long time. It's ok to wait and see.

Last edited by Sunrader; 05-12-2011 at 10:59 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2011, 11:40 AM   #3
(female)

Serendipity27 HB User

Thanks sunrader. I guess I'm just really hoping my next pap (in 6 mo.) will come back normal. But who wouldn't want that? lol

Old 05-15-2011, 12:13 PM   #4
(female)

Sunrader HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity27 View Post
Thanks sunrader. I guess I'm just really hoping my next pap (in 6 mo.) will come back normal. But who wouldn't want that? lol
Yeah, I get it. We all just want this to go away. Truthfully, 6 months is a bit unrealistic for normal. I think the real reason that they check that soon is to make sure it hasn't gotten worse, which, the very very very great majority of the time, it has not. In fact, for young women, a 6 month check probably amounts to overkill nowadays. When they didn't know what caused this or its life cycle, it made some sense to check because they didn't know what they were looking for or how it progressed. Assume that the 6 month check will probably be the same and you will still check again 6 months later. You have already done what you need to do at this stage to protect yourself. You are already safe because you are aware and you are being checked so anything that happens can be dealt with early and easily. This is a chore you have to do for a while. I think of it pretty much the same way I think of filing taxes. Sigh. Ok. Let's do this again. Ok. Now we're done till next time. Get on with life.

Hope that helps a bit. Hugs.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sunrader For This Useful Post:
Serendipity27 (05-15-2011)
Old 05-15-2011, 04:31 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User

Consider yourself lucky- when I was diagnosed with CIN1 at age 16 in the 1980s (I'd only had one partner), they scared me to death by telling me it was cancer (my recollection, anyway), and rushed me into a biopsy, quickly followed by cryosurgery (where they freeze your cervix with a chemical).
This was standard treatment for low-grade CIN at the time.
To add insult to injury, they never told me how common this is (maybe they didn't know, back then), and they implied that I would have it for the rest of my life and that, as a lifelong condition, it would require constant monitoring and repeated treatment, and even so it would no doubt turn into invasive cancer eventually.

I wasn't even a junior in high school, and I was about ready to slit my wrists.
Nobody I knew had ever had this or even knew what it was. Nobody I knew had ever heard of HPV. Seriously! Only 23 years ago!
I thought I had a very rare disease that would eventually kill me.
I felt alone, ashamed, and disgusting.
As a consequence of believing I had nothing to live for, I became promiscuous, dropped out of school (where I'd once been an honor student), and was pregnant with my first child within a year of being treated for CIN.

Okay, that's all the bad news.
The good news:
My CIN was completely cured (knowing what I know now, I strongly suspect it would've resolved anyway, even without the overly-aggressive treatment), and I never had another abnormal PAP... and it's been well over 20 years now.
I no longer have the HPV virus, either. I don't know when it went away... probably a year or two after I contracted it. I was never screened for HPV until I was 35, and have been every year since, and I am now negative for HPV.

My point is, I know "watching and waiting" sucks, but it beats what doctors were doing to young girls 20 years ago, which was rushing them into surgery (which sometimes compromised their future fertility) and making them feel like diseased pieces of crap, like their lives were over and they'd never be healthy again.

The condition you have is common, is not serious (at least not at this point), and will very, very likely resolve on its own without any treatment.
Your job right now is to try to forget about it and carry on with your life, and get screened every six months just to make sure it's not progressing (which would be unlikely, but not impossible).
In a couple of years, it will almost certainly be gone... and if it's not, your doctor can treat it with LEEP at that time.
Oh, and maybe start taking a good multivitamin to enhance your immune system. That way you'll be able to overcome the HPV virus even faster.

Best of luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kali333 For This Useful Post:
Serendipity27 (05-15-2011)
Old 05-15-2011, 05:35 PM   #6
(female)

Sunrader HB User

Kali brings up a good point. They just haven't known about this very long. I think we are a bit caught in a time when we have TMI that we can't do anything with. I mean I worried about this for a year and a half before there was anything at all to be done and, even then, they were telling me, I really didn't have to treat it. I could have done without the months of wondering, personally. But the insurance covers the fancy tests, so they order the fancy tests....

Some doctors are a bit behind even the current research. Fortunately, I have access to an academic library so I can get information directly from medical journals, rather than some of the scarier websites out there. Researchers did think for a while that the virus stayed in the body (as they told Kali), rather like herpes, but the current research is moving well away from that idea. Of course, you can't actually prove that something is gone, but they can show that there are no symptoms, it's undetectable, and it doesn't seem to recur when there's no more new infection. That's pretty gone, even by academic standards. They really weren't able to monitor this very well and it's still difficult. For one thing, they aren't even trying to track origins so they don't have much data on when we get it, how long we've had it, if it comes back, or if we get new strains, if we get reinfected from the same person (probably not) or what? They just don't have that kind of information.

What we do know is that, in the developed world, cervical cancer is becoming quite rare, and then almost all of it is in women who are not monitored, meaning they don't get paps. So, we're doing great and we need to do what we can to make sure our less fortunate sisters get the same care because it's still a killer in other parts of the world and there's just no reason for that.

One interesting thing I read on the virology (very technical article full of big long names of tissues and hormones and enzymes and such) is that in order to progress to cancer the virus has to kill itself. Somehow I found that bizarrely comforting.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:23 PM   #7
(female)

Serendipity27 HB User

Thank you so much for the responses. Kali, I'm sorry to hear that you had to go through something so traumatic when it may not needed such extreme interventions. People like me truly appreciate being able to learn about your experience and understand how this could be worse. I'm happy to hear that now you're okay and are able to shed light on the experience.

Sunrader, it really is so hard to have all this information and not be able to do anything with it. In the meantime, I'm still waiting for those biopsy results and it feels like forever just waiting and wondering and researching. I too have been looking at medical journals to see what studies have been and what information is available. It's just that everything depends so much on things you cant measure - like your immune system or the strain of hpv.

All signs seem to point to the fact that I will have a diagnosis of CIN 1 but a part of me keeps hoping that the biopsy will come back normal - free of any precancer cells. But if it does come back with CIN1, I'm happy to just wait and see what happens but at the same time I wish I could just get rid of it! I don't want to keep getting abnormal paps or worrying about whether it's regressing or progressing. I'm 23 years old and it's been hard trying to explain what going on to my mom, my fiance, and a selective few of my friends - they haven't gone through this at all. So the chances are good that it should regress but I just hate thinking that there's nothing I can do about this now. One more week before I find out!

Closed Thread