It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2011, 12:09 AM   #1
(female)

Bethanie1 HB User
Terrified of cervical biopsy what should I expect?

Hi,
I have had abnormal pap for the last two years, but have been to scared to get a colposcopy/biopsy. I was sexually abused as a child so I have issues with people doing strange uncomfortable/painful things in that area. How painful is the biopsy? What kind of pain is it? How long does it last? Can they give me something to help me relax? I'm also scared to know if I have cancer. Also I don't want to freak out or panic in the doctors office. Really don't know what to do. Any response would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:26 AM   #2
(female)

miaverline HB Usermiaverline HB User
Re: Terrified of cervical biopsy what should I expect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethanie1 View Post
Hi,
I have had abnormal pap for the last two years, but have been to scared to get a colposcopy/biopsy. I was sexually abused as a child so I have issues with people doing strange uncomfortable/painful things in that area. How painful is the biopsy? What kind of pain is it? How long does it last? Can they give me something to help me relax? I'm also scared to know if I have cancer. Also I don't want to freak out or panic in the doctors office. Really don't know what to do. Any response would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Please go, I have been in the same boat as you. The biopsy did not hurt me at all, and took 1 second, I had all female drs/nurses, but you can specify a female to make sure. The colposcopy does not hurt they just look at you, but u feel nothing. It is exactly the same as having a smear. And if you do not want any treatment/biopsies you can refuse, but please go for peace of mind.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2011, 01:04 AM   #3
(female)

seavegetables HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethanie1 View Post
Hi,
How painful is the biopsy? What kind of pain is it? How long does it last? Can they give me something to help me relax? I'm also scared to know if I have cancer. Any response would be greatly appreciated.
They can give you something to help you relax, just ask. Mine did hurt a lot. Some people say it doesn't hurt at all. But that short pain is worth it to prevent invasive cancer and everything that comes with that. Please do schedule a biopsy.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:24 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Hello friend,

Definitely share your concerns with your doctors staff prior to your appointment...they are very understanding and will do everything they can to make this as brief and comfortable for you as possible. Do share the history of abuse in this conversation. If they give you something to ease your nerves, you may need to get it prior to the visit.

When it comes to the procedure itself, like many medical procedures, the anticipation is worse that the actual event ever is! The biopsy is very quick and may feel like a pinch, but it is over just like that and you are done.

Do you have someone that can go in with you, and hold your hand while the doctor does the biopsy? If you do not have anyone you would feel comfortable having in the exam room, the nurse will hold your hand. It is nice to have something to squeeze and to offer you comfort.

This is one of those things that you simply have to have done, and it will be over before you know it. Like I said, the anticipation is the worst part. Put it all out of your head until it is time to do it. You will be fine, and this is both smart and important for you. Throughout our lives as women, we get used to these things, and eventually they are old hat, done without a bit of discomfort or anxiety. Until you are at that point, just make sure your doctor is aware of your special needs and take a friend if possible.

Please let us know how it goes, we are expecting you to do fine and come out of this very relieved and free of worry and with a clean bill of health. Just to let you know, I had the same issues when I was young, and it turned out to be false. We are so lucky to have the technology to help us avoid serious medical problems so we must take advantage of them. you will do fine!

Old 06-28-2011, 08:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User

Colposcopy doesn't hurt at all... I think they just put some vinegar solution on your cervix and then look at it under magnification... when the solution is applied, any diseased tissue will turn white. At any rate, it doesn't hurt; I don't recall it feeling like anything.
I'll be honest, the biopsy did hurt me. It felt like a punch in the gut, like a very deep, intense cramp. But then it's over, and you're fine. it just takes a minute. You might be slightly crampy for the rest of the day, but nothing major.
I had low-grade CIN (this was over 25 years ago) successfully treated with cryo.
To me, the biopsy was the very worst part of the whole ordeal... even the cryo wasn't worse than that.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Some women say the biopsy doesn't hurt, but I think most will admit it's- at the very least- uncomfortable.
But it's over quickly, and it's necessary, so you need to do it.
And keep in mind that the biopsy may well be the worst of it. Whatever treatment you end up needing may be less painful than the biopsy.

Best of luck.

Closed Thread