It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2011, 09:02 AM   #1
(female)

RachAnne HB User
7 days after Colp

Hello, I am new to the boards. Let me catch you all up to speed...
I was diagnosed with high risk HPV at my last Pap (April 2011), and the Pap came back abnormal. I had a colp/biopsy a week ago (7 days exactly) and the results have come back precancerous (level 2-moderate), and I will be discussing options with my doctor over the next few weeks and having either a cryo or LEEP at the end of August/beginning of September (I'm leaving in a week for a semester abroad in the UK for my graduate program and I got it cleared with my doc to wait until I got back for the procedure).

Now, my question is about the recovery from the colp/biopsy. Like I said, it has been 7 days. I had the procedure last Thurs morning. I spotted and passed tissue/clots for two days and was actually feeling pretty good. Since sunday I have had pain in my abdomen (similar to cramping, but also sore to the touch... I can't even wear pants), pain in lower back, bloating of the lower abdomen, extreme fatigue, and feverish/dizziness starting Monday (yesterday). I initially attributed the fatigue/dizziness/cramping to PMS, but it's 2 weeks early for me (I figured the colp threw me into an early period) and I haven't started my period yet... nor do I have other PMS symptoms like crying fits and breakouts which I ALWAYS get before a period. I am calling my dr today, but wondered if anyone else had this experience, and if it was an infection? (psst... my doc told me to wait only 2 days to have sex, and I took full advantage of that... so that might be pointing to an infection, also).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2011, 10:02 AM   #2
(female)

RachAnne HB User
Re: 7 days after Colp

For anyone stopping by who might have experienced something like this...

My doctor told me to take IB Profen and rest yesterday until they could see me in the office this morning. Boy was I surprised! It didn't have anything to do with my colpo/biopsy. I had an ovarian cyst rupture, and it just happened to coincide with the biopsy recovery. So, the good news is that I don't have an infection on my cervix. I'm actually healing perfectly. My doctor did, however, put me on antibiotics for two weeks to prevent an infection since I'm going to the UK in a week for a semester abroad and I don't want to have to see a foreign doctor who doesn't know my case.

The Following User Says Thank You to RachAnne For This Useful Post:
Kali333 (06-23-2011)
Old 06-23-2011, 12:20 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User

Glad you got that figured out!
I would not advise waiting until September to treat CIN2, but it's your call.
Your doctor can "clear" you to do so, but cannot guarantee that your CIN will not progress before then.
If there's any possible way you could have your LEEP sooner, that would be better. My understanding is that recovery from LEEP is only a day or two; I've even heard of women going back to work immediately after LEEP (same day).
Wouldn't you enjoy your trip more knowing this was taken care of?

Anyway, whatever you decide, best wishes.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:32 PM   #4
(female)

RachAnne HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali333 View Post
Glad you got that figured out!
I would not advise waiting until September to treat CIN2, but it's your call.
Your doctor can "clear" you to do so, but cannot guarantee that your CIN will not progress before then.
If there's any possible way you could have your LEEP sooner, that would be better. My understanding is that recovery from LEEP is only a day or two; I've even heard of women going back to work immediately after LEEP (same day).
Wouldn't you enjoy your trip more knowing this was taken care of?

Anyway, whatever you decide, best wishes.

Well, there are a lot of things to consider....

I have had a conversation with my doctor and done much research myself, and CIN 2 can take years to progress to cancer, and it's a very small area that's affected. Regarding recovery from LEEP... yes, some women recover very quickly, and some bleed heavily and experience pain for three weeks or more after the procedure. Also, if there are any complications with the procedure or my recovery, I will be out of the country and away from my doctor. So, no, I do not think I would enjoy my trip more if I had the procedure before I go. Not to mention that this is a semester abroad for a graduate program at Johns Hopkins, so it's not like I can just take a day off if I'm not feeling well or postpone the trip. I will be scheduled and working from 7am to 9pm daily with no breaks. That doesn't leave any time to rest up while I'm recovering from the procedure.

I also want time to research all treatment options and make the best decision for me. My current doctor wants to to a cryo because of my age and potential issues with pregnancy after LEEPs, but I'm not having children ( I have 3 step kids, and I've never had any desire to birth one of my own), most people don't have problems conceiving until after their third LEEP and this will be my first, and I want to make sure we get it all the first time around. I have heard too many horror stories of women receiving false positives after a cryo because the good cells grow over the bad ones. Reoccurance is also more likely after a cryo, and sooner. I also may end up going with another doctor. My current doctor, who I love, does all outpatient procedures in his office with nothing for pain. I want to be out for this. I don't want to remember a thing. Take me to a surgical center and wake me up when it's done!

So, I am going to London in a week. When I get back in August, I'm getting married. Then, I will treat my CIN, and after I have plenty of down time to fully recover, I am taking a honeymoon.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:40 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

shisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB User

RachAnne

You sound like a well informed patient who does her research before having an incorrect procedure done.
Have fun in London--enjoy the experience, come home, get married and have your treatment (surgery center with drugs would be my choice also). Let that husband of yours care for you while you recuperate and fly off to the honeymoon of your dreams feeling great both physically and mentally.
Enjoy

Closed Thread