It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2011, 01:30 PM   #1
(female)

Serendipity27 HB User
Colposcopy Results! Is this good or bad?

I posted a few threads before about having the dreaded abnormal pap. My abnormal pap came back low-grade SIL and I was scheduled for a colposcopy.

I got a copy of the pathology report and this is basically what it is:
Biopsy - normal, no dysplasia
ECC - no evidence of dysplasia. focal chronic inflammation is noted.

My gyno says that everything looks okay. I will still need to do a repeat pap in 6 months because the first pap came back low-grade SIL even though there was no evidence of dysplasia during the colpo. Overall, I believe the results are good but I'm very confused, is an ECC showing "focal" chronic inflammation good or bad?

Last edited by Serendipity27; 07-03-2011 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Results

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2011, 06:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User
Re: Colposcopy Results! Is this good or bad?

Locally occurring inflammation is referred to as “focal”.

It sounds like things are fine. Trust your doctor. A six month follow up is wise and routine.

Sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2011, 07:16 PM   #3
(female)

Serendipity27 HB User

Thanks for the response! I guess I'm just confused about why my pap was low-grade SIL but there is no dysplasia present. And then I wonder if the inflammation caused the lgsil or a result of whatever is causing lgsil (typically hpv). I almost wish my follow up was in 3 months and not 6 just to find out what happes next. Thanks again

Old 09-07-2011, 07:25 PM   #4
(female)

alexis7383 HB User

Hey! im kinda new to these forums but i just recently received a pap result of LSIL and im waiting to go in for my colposcopy very soon...im kind of scared! .... i wish the results would be normal...but in any event that it isnt normal i dont want any of the CIN 2/3..and up diagnosis.... I heard there's a possibility that my LSIL can actually be HSIL and im terrified...im only 21 and ive only had sex with ONE person...however he wasnt a virgin so thats kind of where the hpv came in...he had no idea he had it either!..we've been together for 6 years....any advice?...how did things go with you?

Old 09-07-2011, 09:20 PM   #5
(female)

Serendipity27 HB User

Hi Alexis! Try not to be scared of the colposcopy. The actual procedure really isn't bad, it's like a longer, more extensive pap smear. I did have cramps following the procedure a few days later (felt like period cramps).

The worst part was definitely waiting for the results. My doctor was able to tell me what she saw during the colposcopy to give me an idea about whether or not the pathology would favor the Lsil pap. So don't be afraid to ask as many questions as you want!

Anyways, she thought I had CIN I (favoring the pap smear) but nothing worse just to give me SOME piece of mind while I waited for the results. The results came back better than we both expected showing that I had inflammation but no CIN or malignancies. I go back for a follow-up in November (praying it's normal!) So this whole thing still isn't over for me and I completely understand wishing everything was normal. Since the colpo I made sure to do everything I could to help raise my immune system to help my body fight off whatever is causing the abnormal pap. I hope it works!

My best advice is try not to scare yourself thinking worse case scernerio. Yes, there is a possibility that the results will be worse than the pap but there's a much better chance that they will be the same or better either showing CIN I or less. I know that it's very hard to do but I worried myself sick for no reason and stress lowers your immune system making it harder to right off the virus, if that's the cause.

Since my abnormal pap, I've realized how common abnormal paps really are and that if HPV is the cause then your body will normally fight it off in a couple of years, especially since we're young (I'm 23). As for your boyfriend, chances are very likely he didn't know he had it because men show no symptoms for the majority of the strains. This is what makes prevention so difficult because even condoms are never 100% preventative. They find out when we find out.

I hope everything goes well for you! Please feel free to send me a message or ask me whatever but definitely let us know how it goes. It seems like a big deal right now but I would try my best not the overthink it, it will stress you out more than necessary. Good luck Alexis! I hope this helped

Last edited by Serendipity27; 09-07-2011 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Edit

Old 09-09-2011, 09:34 PM   #6
(female)

alexis7383 HB User

Thank you soooooooooooooooo much for this response!! you have no idea how isolated and alone i feel...i have not and do not plan on telling any of my friends...idk..i just dont want them to judge me or my bf..you know?..but my mum and bf knows about the entire situation though...but i still have noone to really talk to about it...who knows what im going through and is experiencing the same thing...and im so happy that you replied!....im so happy for you and your results! i seriously hope i have results atleast similar to your situation thats amazing! lol... and i will be keeping in touch! trust me! im happy to find someone to talk to about it! lol thanx again!

Closed Thread