It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2011, 01:01 AM   #1
(female)

Alyona HB User
Red face High risk hpv!!! Panic!

Hello dear ladies!
I have received my HPV test result just yesterday and since then are very depressed and upset.
Does anyone know more than me about it... and can you just talk to me please.
Even though me and my husband went to my doc right away... I was so upset and crying all the time that of course I forgot to ask some questions. Such as : does HIGH risk HPV has less chances to clear up by itself than LOW risk one?
We are planning to have kids now with my lovely husband, so that was the reason why I went to the doctor. ANd I also had cervical erosion... that's why my doc decided to make HPV test...
Do I have more chances to get cancer having both EROSION and HPV high risk, than the once who only have HPV, or am I stupid and don't understand something?
Hope there is someone with similar diagnosis and who is not indifferent to talk to me.
THANKS A LOT!!!

Old 07-26-2011, 08:33 PM   #2
(female)

Nerdlie HB UserNerdlie HB UserNerdlie HB UserNerdlie HB User
Re: High risk hpv!!! Panic!

Hello Alyona,

First off let me assure you there is no reason for immediate panic. I realize your diagnosis has probably come as quite an upsetting shock to you, but it will be much better for your immune system (and subsequent HPV infection) if you can try to stay calm and positive. I will do my best to answer some of the questions you forgot to ask your doctor. It is difficult to think of the right questions to ask after receiving shocking information.

1. High risk HPV does appear to take longer for your body to clear the infection (for it to become dormant) but it will likely happen eventually.
2. I think when you say "erosion" you mean "lesion". I have never heard of an "erosion" of the cervix.. just lesions. Cervical lesions are consistent with HPV... meaning high risk strains of HPV cause them, which is why your doctor decided to test you for HPV.
Now, what is a lesion exactly? It is not cancer, which is good. A cervical lesion is simply a group of abnormal cells caused by HPV. Your body may clear them on its own, or you may need additional treatment to remove the lesion.
3. Your chances of getting cancer are unlikely considering cervical cancer takes many years to develop, and catching cellular changes (lesions) early on before they are able to progress to the precancerous/cancerous stage means a high rate of successful treatment that will prevent it from every becoming cancer.
To clarify, high risk HPV CAUSES lesions. That's what it does. Or, it does nothing at all if you are lucky because the body fights it off before it is able to cause a lesion. That said, lesions are VERY TREATABLE! Often, they do not even need treatment. Your body can clear them, and the abnormal cells can be sloughed off and return to normal. Also -- lesions are not a diagnosis of cancer.

I also have high risk HPV with a cervical lesion, so if you have anymore questions feel free to ask me. Remember, stay calm and positive.. it will help boost your immune system which will help you clear the infection quicker.

The following user gives a hug of support to Nerdlie:
Alyona (07-27-2011)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nerdlie For This Useful Post:
Alyona (07-27-2011), Blessed8 (09-11-2011), fedder (07-27-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2011, 01:48 AM   #3
(female)

Alyona HB User

Hello PsychNerd!
Thank you A LOT for your reply.
After I got my HPV test results... I was really badly shocked and very very upset... I posted this thread here and then I started to read everything possible about cervical cancer and HPV and eveything I could find that was related to the topic... and I think I have calm down a lot after seeing some videos of women who had cervical cancer and recovered from it very well... even though some of them lost their fertility.
For now this is the main question for me... I already have one child.. she is 3 years old and I just got married 2 months ago. So at the moment me and my husband are planning to have kids... I mean already trying... so the main question is - can my HPV prevent my pregnancy.... can there really be any problems with getting pregnant due to HPV infection? And can it harm my future kids?
Thank you so much for your helpful reply... I am trying to stay as positive as possible.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:04 AM   #4
(female)

Hello again,

Good news -- with your current diagnosis, it should not impair your fertility at current. If you undergo certain types of treatments for the abnormal cells, it MAY weaken your cervix somewhat, but that would only affect you during labour, if it were to affect you at all. Many women have undergone cryotherapy, LEEP, excision, laser treatments, etc. to treat lesions and have had ZERO problems conceiving or delivering healthy babies!
I would still suggest you speak with a good obstetrician/gynecologist in regards to giving birth with an active HPV infection though, as that will probably ease a lot of your concerns!

As for harming your future kids, when in vitro, fetuses are protected from viruses like HPV due to having their own isolated blood supply. You actually do not share your blood supply with your unborn child, believe it or not. They are protected by a special casing/barrier.. the placenta! The only chance of transmission that is currently known is during the birthing process. Although rare, with the genital warts strains of HPV (which is not what would have caused your lesion) there has been cases of transmission from mother-infant during birth, wherein the infants have in result developed warts in the bronchials and on/around/above/below the voice boxes.

Again, not the strain you are infected with.

If you are concerned about transmitting the virus during birth to any future children, I would encourage you to speak with an OBGYN about it, but there are still ways to minimize the possibility (such as C-section).

Also, it is entirely possible you will have "cleared" the infection by then (it will have gone dormant) in which case any worries of transmission would be minimal if not completely null. There have been very few cases of HPV transmission from mother to child, so you really need not worry. But again, talk to an OBGYN if you still feel concern about that!
If you have any other questions I can help you with, let me know. I am glad to hear you have done some research and eased your worries some! That is very important and helpful for the immune system!

Take care!

Old 07-27-2011, 02:58 AM   #5
(female)

Hello again,

Good news -- with your current diagnosis, it should not impair your fertility at current. If you undergo certain types of treatments for the abnormal cells, it MAY weaken your cervix somewhat, but that would only affect you during labour, if it were to affect you at all. Many women have undergone cryotherapy, LEEP, excision, laser treatments, etc. to treat lesions and have had ZERO problems conceiving or delivering healthy babies!
I would still suggest you speak with a good obstetrician/gynecologist in regards to giving birth with an active HPV infection though, as that will probably ease a lot of your concerns!
As for harming your future kids, when in vitro, fetuses are protected from viruses like HPV due to having their own isolated blood supply. You actually do not share your blood supply with your unborn child, believe it or not. They are protected by a special casing/barrier.. the placenta! The only chance of transmission that is currently known is during the birthing process. Although rare, with the genital warts strains of HPV (which is not what would have caused your lesion) there has been cases of transmission from mother-infant during birth, wherein the infants have in result developed warts in the bronchials and on/around/above/below the voice boxes. Again, not the strain you are infected with. If you are concerned about transmitting the virus during birth to any future children, I would encourage you to speak with an OBGYN about it, but there are still ways to minimize the possibility (such as C-section).

Also, it is entirely possible you will have "cleared" the infection by then (it will have gone dormant) in which case any worries of transmission would be minimal if not completely null. There have been very few cases of HPV transmission from mother to child, so you really need not worry. But again, talk to an OBGYN if you still feel concern about that!
If you have any other questions I can help you with, let me know. I am glad to hear you have done some research and eased your worries some! That is very important and helpful for the immune system!

Take care!

Old 07-27-2011, 03:16 AM   #6
(female)

Alyona HB User

Thank you again and A LOT for your replies!
I really want to have a little baby now... so at the moment spending time researching about good timing for getting pregnant... last month I didn't get pregnant. So reading all the info about that makes me feel good and makes me dream about healthy future child... So I think I am in a very positive mood.... unless I don't get pregnant this month again
It was very helpful to read from you that I can very unlikely give my infection to the child.
Thank you SSSOOOO MUCH.
Take care.
And hope to keep in touch.
Alona

Closed Thread