It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2011, 03:20 PM   #1
(female)

breezybaby HB User
Atypical Glandular Cells & High Risk HPV on Pap Smear... REALLY SCARED!

Has anyone else had this type of result on their Pap? Is this likely to turn into or be Cancer? I'm hoping to hear from anyone that can help.

My history:
I have had normal pap test up until this year. I am 36 years old and have two daughters. I had my first high risk HPV test show positive last Aug 2010 but the pap was normal. After that visit I my periods stopped for 4 months and the Dr. gave me MedroxyPROGESTERone Acetate. He stated that it would start my periods again and it was just Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding. So January 2011 my periods started again and were so heavy and painful I would be in bed for a couple days each month with it. I have large clots and most times go thru a tampon an hour. I started having bleeding after sex, just light and spotty. This has been going on for about 6 months. I have noticed a handful of time I was having pain on my right side during sex as well. I went for my annual pap this year in Nov and it took the lab 15 days to come back with my results. So I was a little worried...
When I got the results it stated HIGH RISK HPV and EPITHELIAL CELL ABNORMALITY, ATYPICAL GLANDULAR CELLS.
I read a bunch of stuff online before I had talked with the Dr. office. Which was really helpful but also scary. I ended up only getting to talk to the Medical Assistant over the phone and she was not helpful at all. She told me that they were just cells that shouldn't be there nothing to worry about. So when I told her that I had read otherwise online she then placed me on hold and said she was gonna ask the Doctor. I was ready to pull my hair out, I just want to talk to someone who knows what they are talking about. Ugh!
She came back and told me that they were scheduling me for a Colposcopy Biopsy & Endometrial Biopsy. They can't get me in for a month so my appt. is not till Dec. 12th. I am scared and this long waiting period is killing.

I appreciate anyone's feed back on my situation or to hear about yours.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2011, 07:15 AM   #2
(female)

mykonosgirl HB User
Re: Atypical Glandular Cells & High Risk HPV on Pap Smear... REALLY SCARED!

I know how you feel!!..I went in for a pap in June, waited 5 weeks for the results which showed ASGUS abnormalities. Was booked for a Colposcopy/Biopsy on October 5th. I got my results back one week later. The results showed CIN 2-3 involving the underlying endocervical glands. My doc booked me for a LEEP which I will be going in for this Friday on the 25th of November. So I've waited 5 months since this all began and the waiting is the worst part.

I had an abnormal pap 2 years ago in October and was scheduled for a follow up in 6 months. There was a death in the family so I missed the followup because I was away at the funeral. I then spent the next 16 months trying to get a referral from my family doctor for a second Pap due to the abnormal results of the first one. I was never so frusterated in my life! My doctor's staff was horrible! They never contacted me with a referral for a pap. I called for months asking why I haven't heard from anyone and all they would say was they would check on it and get back to me. I finally had enough and contacted the local women's centre. I explained my situation and they booked me as soon as they could.

So I have since switched family doctors and am in much better hands now.

All I can tell you is to be firm with them and make sure they tell you everything! Ask every question you can until you feel comfortable with what they are telling you! Be pushy with them about getting you in as soon as possible! It's your body and your health! Sometimes it seems as though we are just a number to them..It's soooo frusterating.

I hope everyting turns out okay for you! ...make sure to post after your colpo/biopsy!

I will be posting as soon as I get my LEEP results which I am fearful won't be good but I am hoping for the best!

Good luck on your journey with all of this.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:25 AM   #3
(female)

breezybaby HB User

Thank you for sharing your experience. I hope you get good news back from you LEEP procedure.
I had my biopsies (ECC, Endometrial, & Colposcopy) done on the 12th of December and the doctor called me on Friday the 16th. When she did my biopsies she did tell me that she could see a tumor on my cervix and she held out her fingers to about an inch to show the size. So with that I was kind of prepared to hear that I was going to need maybe something else done, but was not expecting what came with the results. Not good news! She told me that all 5 samples came back with Invasive Adenocarcinoma of the Cervix. She stated that there is a chance that this has spread and I would need further testing.
She was requesting that we come to the office on that Friday after she told me the results over the phone, but I was in no shape to do that. I just needed a little time to collect myself and thoughts before I met with her again. My Husband and I went to meet with my OB/GYN Dr. in person on that following Monday. She told us that she had more concerns than what she told me over the phone. One of the samples was showing Cribriform and Papillary patterns, which means that itís further advanced and we should be worried about this. We asked how many cases like this do they see in their office. Her reply wasÖ she has never seen this advanced of a case in their office. With her eyes as watery as mine she stated that they usually catch this much earlier. She also stated that she had looked back in my records and that the HPV was detected back in 2007. (My prior Doctor neglected to tell me that at that time and told me to come back in 3 years to get my next Pap because they had changed the policy. If you have a normal pap & everything else is normal then you only get Pap every 3 years. They told me it was all normal and so my next Pap wasnít till Aug. 2010.) So with that the Dr. said she was very sorry that it was missed and if I had been under her care at that time she would have had me back in 2008 to do all these biopsies.
My Husband and I left that appointment scared out of our minds. Now thereís a good change that this could have been going on for 5 YEARS!!!! WTH!!!!
Everything we read and all the paper work that the Dr. gave to us states that they donít have a treatment for Adenocarcinoma; it is treated as though itís Squamous Cell Carcinoma.
She referred me to a GYN/Oncologist at the Women's Cancer Center. My appointment with them is January 3rd. Waiting sucks! They have told me that I will be getting a Chest X-ray, Blood work, CT scan, and PET scan. This will help decide the course of treatment. I will have to get a radical hysterectomy to remove everything, lymph node removal, and some surrounding tissue. I will also have to have Chemo & Radiation treatments as well. Itís going to be a long hard road but Iím ready to fight.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:02 AM   #4
(female)

k mum 29 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezybaby View Post
Thank you for sharing your experience. I hope you get good news back from you LEEP procedure.
I had my biopsies (ECC, Endometrial, & Colposcopy) done on the 12th of December and the doctor called me on Friday the 16th. When she did my biopsies she did tell me that she could see a tumor on my cervix and she held out her fingers to about an inch to show the size. So with that I was kind of prepared to hear that I was going to need maybe something else done, but was not expecting what came with the results. Not good news! She told me that all 5 samples came back with Invasive Adenocarcinoma of the Cervix. She stated that there is a chance that this has spread and I would need further testing.
She was requesting that we come to the office on that Friday after she told me the results over the phone, but I was in no shape to do that. I just needed a little time to collect myself and thoughts before I met with her again. My Husband and I went to meet with my OB/GYN Dr. in person on that following Monday. She told us that she had more concerns than what she told me over the phone. One of the samples was showing Cribriform and Papillary patterns, which means that itís further advanced and we should be worried about this. We asked how many cases like this do they see in their office. Her reply wasÖ she has never seen this advanced of a case in their office. With her eyes as watery as mine she stated that they usually catch this much earlier. She also stated that she had looked back in my records and that the HPV was detected back in 2007. (My prior Doctor neglected to tell me that at that time and told me to come back in 3 years to get my next Pap because they had changed the policy. If you have a normal pap & everything else is normal then you only get Pap every 3 years. They told me it was all normal and so my next Pap wasnít till Aug. 2010.) So with that the Dr. said she was very sorry that it was missed and if I had been under her care at that time she would have had me back in 2008 to do all these biopsies.
My Husband and I left that appointment scared out of our minds. Now thereís a good change that this could have been going on for 5 YEARS!!!! WTH!!!!
Everything we read and all the paper work that the Dr. gave to us states that they donít have a treatment for Adenocarcinoma; it is treated as though itís Squamous Cell Carcinoma.
She referred me to a GYN/Oncologist at the Women's Cancer Center. My appointment with them is January 3rd. Waiting sucks! They have told me that I will be getting a Chest X-ray, Blood work, CT scan, and PET scan. This will help decide the course of treatment. I will have to get a radical hysterectomy to remove everything, lymph node removal, and some surrounding tissue. I will also have to have Chemo & Radiation treatments as well. Itís going to be a long hard road but Iím ready to fight.
im so sorry to hear this i wish u all the luck in the world with your treatment.

Closed Thread