It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2011, 09:50 AM   #1
(female)

Katie0323 HB User
Abnormal PAP

I had a pap done about 2 years ago, and they called me and said that my pap came back abnormal and to come back either within the month or for my 3 month check up. They said it was nothing to worry about. I went back a year later and my pap came back abnormal again. I had to get a Colposcopy (examines the cervix) and a Biopsy (where they scrape the cervix and remove cells to test). I have HPV and it was removed in May, I just went for my 6 month check up and they called to tell me my pap came back abnormal again. Is there ever a chance that my paps will come back normal?

Old 12-22-2011, 10:23 PM   #2
(female)

alt171 HB User
Re: Abnormal PAP

Hi,

It is entirely possible to have abnormal Paps after this treatment, and I have friends who had one LEEP, and then never had trouble again. I wasn't so lucky, and had to have another biopsy and LEEP procedure done after my second PAP came back abnormal. I will have my 6 month Pap soon, so I am hopeful that it will be normal.

The most important thing is to follow up with your doctor and pursue treatment, do not think that just because you were treated once and it didn't have the desired outcome that it will never work out. You are being treated for precancerous cells, which when removed cannot become cancer, but if you don't get treated, you are rolling the dice. Good Luck!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2011, 09:30 AM   #3
(female)

handler45 HB User

I was diagnosed with warts and 'low grade' HPV/very mild abnormal cells (whatever that means) in 2007. I haven't had a normal pap smear since then. I have had two colpos, and have been PAP-ed every 6 months since early 2007.

The most important thing to remember is that 1. there are a number of other things that can cause an abnormal pap smear, such as hormonal changes, birth control, an underlying low-grade infection (yeast infection), and even inflammation from sex. My doctor seems to think my abnormal paps are due to the HPV, which I suppose is reasonable. But there is hope for it to go away on its own. I've had it for 5 years; hasn't gotten better (or worse, knock on wood.) Keep going to the doctor and follow their instructions, and there's a good chance you will be able to keep it under control.

I feel your frustration and can empathize completely. One thing that helps me is to eat a whole foods diet (greens, greens, greens!) and take a high dose of Folic Acid every day. Folic Acid is an inexpensive supplement that I have *heard* can help reverse some cervical changes, but do not quote me on this, as I am not a medical professional. However two of my good friends took high doses of Folic Acid and it helped their Pap smears.

Finally, try to remember that 75% of the population has or will have HPV at some point or another. You are not alone. I have read stories about women who have struggled for years with abnormal paps, but have gone on to have healthy children and otherwise healthy lives. Get plenty of rest, sleep, down-time, and proper nutrition and it can work wonders.

I have been frustrated by continuing to have abnormal paps, but I try to take things one day at a time and read up on the subject.

I will keep you in my thoughts as I know this can be really scary and frustrating.

The Following User Says Thank You to handler45 For This Useful Post:
Katie0323 (01-06-2012)
Old 01-06-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
(female)

Katie0323 HB User

Thank you so much for reassuring me. I guess when I got the Leep procedure done the first time I assumed that it would be gone forever, or I had hoped. But thank you so much for the news that I can keep it under control and to hope for the best.

Closed Thread