It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2012, 12:10 PM   #1
(female)

Mom2EE HB User
2.5 cm complex cyst on ovary - scared out of my mind

Hi,

A little background on my case: I am 42 years old, and I was diagnosed last August 2010 with what the doctor said was a 2.3 x 2.5 x2.4 cm endometrioma on my left ovary. We did a repeat u/s in Sept., report said "LT ov cyst with internal debris, similar to an endometrioma measuring 2.5 x 2.0 x 2.2 cm. Another u/s done in late Oct., radiologist report said "again noted, LT OV cyst with internal debris, measuring 2.4 x 1.4 x 2.4 cm similar appearance as an endometrioma". Repeat u/s in April, results 'LT OV cyst with internal debris 2.3 x 2.5 x 2.5.', and again in August with similar results (Dr said it was a 3 x 2.5 x 2.8 measurement this time, but she didn't seem really concerned about it). My Dr said we could continue to monitor it or just remove it. She never ordered a ca-125 test because I still have menstrual cycles and she said that both menstruation and endometriosis can give false positive results. At the time, I wasn't feeling any pain or discomfort, and the cyst was small so I decided to just monitor it. My last ultrasound was August 29th. Well, for the past 2 months I have been feeling twinging pain in my left bikini area (right where the ovary would be), which starts around ovulation and lasts until my period starts. I am scared to death that it could be cancer and that I waited too long and now it's too late. I am scheduled for surgery in 11 days, but I am totally having panic attacks due to the fact that I have pain in my abdomen on the left side which radiates around to my back sometimes. When I asked the dr about it, she said that it could be happening because the cyst is growing. I am absolutely petrified and I can't sleep or eat - because of my nerves, I've lost 10 pounds in the past month. I don't have constant pain, it's more like a sharp twinge that comes and goes in the area of the left ovary, and a pressure that radiates around my waist area to my lower left rib cage which seems to be there constantly for the past week. Somebody please help, any advice or kind words would be appreciated, I feel like I'm losing my mind. Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Mom2EE; 01-04-2012 at 03:12 PM. Reason: adding info

The following user gives a hug of support to Mom2EE:
24kbear (01-04-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
(female)

24kbear HB User
Re: 2.5 cm complex cyst on ovary - scared out of my mind

Oh, hunny...we are all here for you! I understand your worry, but let's remember we can't change the past. At least now you are getting some resolution (surgery). I had a CT scan on Sunday b/c I went to the ER for food poisoning and lower left abdomen pain. I had the same pain & food poisoning in Fall 2009 and the DR just said it was diverticulitis (w/o a CT scan for proof). I go back to the DR tomorrow, but I too am worried - I have mirena IUD and haven't had a period since Jan/Feb 2009. I am fully expecting the DR to say I have IBS tomorrow! Do give us an update after your surgery - I'll be praying for you!

The Following User Says Thank You to 24kbear For This Useful Post:
Mom2EE (01-05-2012)
Old 01-07-2012, 10:37 PM   #3
(female)

Twixt HB UserTwixt HB User

Hi there,

I'm sorry you're having to go through this - the worry is by far the worst part, isn't it? Hopefully after your surgery you'll have all the answers you need.

In the meantime, the best thing is to try to distract yourself. The worry and anxiety is really hard to avoid, but it can help to do things like lose yourself in a good book, or go for a run/do yoga/anything else active that will raise endorphins and help you feel less anxious.

If the pain you're experiencing is preventing you from doing anything aerobic, it could help to confide in any friends of yours who are good at listening. At a time like this, lots of well-meaning people will automatically say "don't worry - it's fine", which can feel like they're dismissing how you're feeling.

If you know anyone who will really listen to you and let you unload exactly how you're feeling and what you're worried about, it can make a huge positive difference. It might even make you feel better-prepared; people who can act as a sounding-board for you are a huge gift at a time like this.

I myself am being followed for an ovarian mass, so I know how stressful the waiting can be (as well as how easy it is to keep imagining the worst case scenario). As for myself, after my recent follow-up U/S, they want me to have an MRI - I'm currently waiting to hear back from the hospital as to when that'll be, so I'm currently following the same advice that I'm giving to you.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi (and welcome to the board), and I'm sending good thoughts your way.

Twixt

Old 01-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #4
(female)

Twixt HB UserTwixt HB User

Hey there,

I also wanted to add that the majority of ovarian cysts are benign - even when they're larger or causing symptoms.

Of course it's perfectly normal to feel stressed about things (I totally hear you on that).

*hugs*

Twixt

Old 05-29-2012, 08:25 AM   #5
(female)

saltire HB User

Hi there, How did your surgery go? I have a 2.0 cm complex cyst on my right ovary and i get the pain in the bikini area too. I also have an enlarged Uterus so i am scheduled for a hysteroscopy with poss D&C and a Laparoscopy on the 4th June. I am getting really quite nervous about it all, and saw your post and it was from Jan so i was wondering how yours went. I hope good

Old 07-11-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
(female)

CLWIL HB User

Hi,never posted before, I just turned 50 this June, had a hysterectomy when I was 26yrs, both ovaries left. Wanted to say thank Twixt for your post. I just found out this morning I have a complex 1.6cm cyst on my left ovarie, and my doctor wants me to have an MRI done. So like you, I am waiting on this now. It really is true how the "worst possible" scenaro is always the first thing to torment our minds. Thanks for your advice on keeping distracted with other things during the waiting time. Helps to know someone else it is in the same boat.

Closed Thread