It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
(female)

Evannah HB User
Worried I might have Ovarian cancer

For the past six or so months I've been having sciatica running down my right leg. I have been diagnosed with disc degeneration (just 1) and put it down to that. Recently, in the past month or so I have been suffering from bloating, so much so that I sometimes look four months pregnant. My periods have gotten heavier and irregular and I have an embarrassing problem of too much hair, especially on my chin and upper lip. I have constant hot sweats, I'm losing weight and I am not eating as much as I should because I feel full all the time. I seem to have constant pain and discomfort in my ovaries, my right ovary especially. I have confided in my mum (she was a nurse for 18 years) and she says I need to be checked for cysts, rather than for cancer. She says the symptoms sound a lot more like ovarian cysts. Do you think this is the case? I don't want to have cancer, who does!?

I've had blood tests and everything is fine. There are never any raised levels. My doctor said my blood is completely healthy. So this is giving me some hope, because surely if I had cancer then something would be not quite right with my blood. But it is perfect. So surely not the blood of someone who has got cancer. But I am still worried

Extra info

I am a 26 year old woman. I started my periods at 11-years-old.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2012, 04:12 PM   #2
(female)

Twixt HB UserTwixt HB User
Re: Worried I might have Ovarian cancer

Hi Evannah,

I'd suggest going to your family doctor - let them know your concerns and ask about getting imaging done to rule out any issues with your ovaries.

The good news is that chances are very much in favour of things being benign (which doesn't help with the worrying, I know, but at least you can keep in mind that the vast majority of ovarian issues are benign - especially for premenopausal women).

The other good thing is that the same tests used to rule out ovarian cancer (which you're concerned about) - namely, the abdominal ultrasound and TVUS - are also the same tests that will identify benign ovarian cysts (which your mother has wanted you to get checked out for).

So if you ask for these tests, you're basically covering your bases.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Twixt

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread