It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2012, 07:21 PM   #1
(female)

kraft1024 HB User
Scared and needing information

A week ago I went in for a pap and 2 days ago the doctor called with the results. I had an abnormal pap and tested positive for high-risk HPV. The doctor immediately started throwing out words like potential cervical cancer and cancerous cells. The next day (yesterday) I went in and had an internal and external ultrasound done but of course...the nurse doing the procedure would tell me nothing...just that the doctor would call me in two days with the results. Now tomorrow im going for a colposcopy procedure and to get my ultrasound results. I have no idea what to expect and my husband and I are literally scared to death. Some have said the procedure hurts and some have said its nothing...but honestly I dont even care how bad it hurts...all I care about is the fact that I could have cancer according to the doctor and she even said that it could affect my chances of having children...which is completely heartbreaking. Im wondering if anyone out there has had these same issues and what there outcome was. At this point...im not sure what thought scares me more...possible cancer or possibly never being able to have a child with my husband.

Last edited by kraft1024; 01-25-2012 at 07:27 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to kraft1024:
Twixt (01-31-2012)
Old 02-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #2
(female)

Vivian123 HB User
Re: Scared and needing information

the procedure is painless and unless he finds tissue that looks suspicious and may need a biopsy, you should be ok. HPV can lie dormant for many years and every so often can pop up during a pap test that comes up abnormal. A colposcopy is done to take a look at the inside for any suspicious tissue that may need to be tested for cancer cells. I have had two biopsies done for the same reason and each time they came back negative. One time was scar tissue. HPV is caused by unprotected sex and literally over 70% of women get it at some point in their lives. Good Luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #3
(female)

sabrina34 HB User

I am so sorry for what you are going through. I know how terrified you are both for your health and future fertility. Two years ago I was diagnosed with HPV. Since then my GYN monitors me every 6 mths and a couple of times I have had to have a colposcopy done to screen for cancer because of abnormal paps. Both came back normal. The word cancer is enough to scare the pants off anyone. While there is an increased risk of cervical cancer, you have a few things going for you: 1st - cancer is a rare diagnosis so right off the bat your chances are good; 2nd - cervical cancer is highly curable IF caught early; and 3rd - cervical cancer rarely inhibits fertility if caught and treated early. Your fears are valid and natural, but your chances are very good that there is nothing wrong and you just need to be monitored closely by your Dr. As for a colposcopy, I have to admit it's not the most pleasant experience, and each person is different. For me it wasn't more painful than a tiny pinch. Don't be afraid to ask your Dr ANY questions, that's part of her job. Good luck and keep us posted!

{{{HUGS}}}

Old 02-24-2012, 11:32 PM   #4
(female)

Panicking HB User

Hi there, i read your post with concern. I just wanted to reach out and ask if you are ok or what happened with your DR appointments.

The Following User Says Thank You to Panicking For This Useful Post:
kraft1024 (02-25-2012)
Closed Thread