It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #1
(female)

xtvd HB User
Post pelvic ultrasound - reading the results

Can someone tell me how to read the results. The Dr was very vague and since I'm going to an appt with a OB/GYN next week he didn't go into too much detail (but I'd still like to know):

The ultra sound findings say...

"the uterus is normal in size. There is a probably 1.5 x 1.4 x 1.3 cm fibroid anteriorly. The endometrium is normal at 6mm. The left ovary is not seen. The right ovary is unremarkable. There are no adnexal masses and there is no free fluid in pelvis. The bladder is distended to 241 cc and empties nearly completely with no post void residual. Bilateral ureteral jets are identified".

So my main questions are:
1. What is the dangerous size for a fibroid? is this one considered small?
2. Why can't they find my left ovary?
3. What does it mean that my right one is unremarkable? (I know what remarkable means and was excited thinking I had an exceptional looking ovary until I saw the "un" part )
4. I assume it's good there are no masses or fluid (not sure what it would signify if there was fluid)
5. I was told I have a slight cystocele with a dr giving me an exam, however is that was it means when they say the bladder is distended?

Overall, I felt good walking out of the Dr's office, but then confused since I still have symptoms and not sure why, if I have a cystocele, a Dr would order this type of testing considering it doesn't show anything to do with the condition?

Thanks for your help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2012, 07:20 PM   #2
(female)

Twixt HB UserTwixt HB User
Re: pelvic ultrasound - reading the results

Hi xtvd,

I'm not an expert, but I've been having various ovarian issues since early September, so I've gotten several ultrasounds and have read up a lot on the subject.

I can't answer all those questions, but I can at least partly answer a few of them:

1) As far as I know, fibroids aren't generally considered dangerous, although they can certainly cause symptoms, even if they're small (the dimensions you've listed are pretty small, so I wouldn't be worried - of course, since you said you're still experiencing symptoms, I'd still recommend talking to your doctor to ask if this fibroid might be the cause - your doctor will be the best source of information about whether the fibroid is causing your symptoms and if so, what options there are for resolving the issues).

2) There could be a few possible reasons that the left ovary is not seen - various things can obscure it on the ultrasound image, such as intestinal gas, etc.

3) Don't worry that the right ovary is "unremarkable" - in fact, that's a good thing It means they didn't find anything of concern - basically, it means that the right ovary looks totally normal with nothing out of the ordinary.

4) No adnexal masses and no free fluid is also a good thing. Mind you, even if these were present, they wouldn't necessarily be a cause for concern depending on the size of the mass/amount of free fluid, but it's better that they didn't find those things.

5) I don't know what a cystocele is (are you sure they didn't mean a cyst?), but in terms of the bladder being distended to 241cc I'm guessing they're just referring to how full your bladder was when they did the ultrasound (again, I'm just making an educated guess here - I don't know for sure).

I'd recommend writing down a list of any questions you might have and any symptoms you've been having - this'll make it easier to make sure you don't forget any important points/questions at your OB/GYN appointment.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Twixt

Last edited by Twixt; 01-31-2012 at 07:21 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Twixt:
xtvd (02-01-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Twixt For This Useful Post:
xtvd (02-01-2012)
Closed Thread