It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2012, 09:01 AM   #1
(female)

jessicaporter HB User
Mild to Moderate Dysplasia in 6 months, nothing on colposcopy

Last year, my Pap smear came up abnormal with signs of mild dysplasia. So they followed up with a colposcopy and biopsy, which came back negative. They told me to repeat my pap smears every 6 months. When I did so, 6 months later, my pap smear came back abnormal again, but this time the dysplasia has gotten worse and is now moderate. I asked the doctor why they didn't detect it on the colposcopy and he said he didn't know and that it was rare to not be able to see it during the colposcopy and he wants to do another one. The colposcopy was literally one of the most painful things I've ever gone through. This time he promises to numb my cervix. What if they don't find anything again? Has anyone else experienced this? Is it a terrible sign for my dysplasia to go from mild to moderate in just 6 months?

Old 03-25-2012, 06:18 AM   #2
(female)

jenbrody HB User
Re: Mild to Moderate Dysplasia in 6 months, nothing on colposcopy

Here is my personal feeling, from what I've read: dysplasia can get better on its own, it can get worse within six months or a year, it can "get better" and then "get worse" and back and forth again for reasons unknown, or perhaps because the biopsy samplings were taken from the wrong areas or from areas of greater or lesser dysplasia at different times. There is also such a thing as false positives and false negatives, and inaccurate laboratory analysis of tissue samples. That is why I regard all test results with a small, but healthy, dose of skepticism. Andy why I personally would want to see test results replicated before proceeding with any serious medical interventions.

Since dysplasia is mostly caused by HPV, and HPV is fought off or kept more or less under control by the immune system, anything you can do to boost your immune system will help keeping dysplasia to a minimum, or even eliminating it. Your immune system is affected by stress and diet. So one thing you might want to review is, how much stress have you been under in the six months between paps? How good has your diet, and your general health and sense of wellbeing, been in that time? If the answers to that are "a lot" and "not very good" then you can try changing those things and seeing if there has been a change for the better at your next pap test.

As far as the painful biopsy sampling during colposcopy, I hate to tell you but the cervix is notoriously difficult to numb. A lot of times the local anaesthetic given just doesn't "take". Then again, often it does, and it's effective at eliminating the pain. If you're very distressed and anxious about undergoing another painful procedure, please talk to your doctor about what else he/she can give you. Oral or even IV sedation prior to starting the colposcopy may be an option.

Good luck, and please update!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2012, 07:48 PM   #3
(female)

axgirl HB User
Re: Mild to Moderate Dysplasia in 6 months, nothing on colposcopy

Curious what your doctor and you decided. My colpo also had them saying everything looked just great, no white spots - but came back mild/moderate. So just curious if they are waiting or had to you do a LEEP.

Closed Thread