It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2012, 05:10 PM   #1
(female)

alexwilliamson HB User
Cancer-weary. What to do?

I'm a 25 year old woman living in Ontario, Canada. I've never had any severe health issues, but my older sister (age 28) recently went through a round of chemotherapy to treat her stage 1c ovarian cancer. I also recently lost my paternal grandmother due to complications brought on by breast cancer. Before my sister's diagnosis, I noticed that occasionally I would get my period twice within the same month. Though this has only happened a few times, I am still nervous because this is one of the symptoms that led to my sister's initial diagnosis with cancer. I also have been experiencing bouts of severe abdominal pain, which has been plaguing me for nearly 3 years. The pain begins in my lower abdomen and quickly radiates up to the area below my ribs and all across my back and shoulders. The first time this happened I was told that I was experiencing acute gastritis brought on by alcohol use. When I noticed that this pain began presenting itself even when I had not consumed any alcohol for weeks, I called my doctor again and was sent for an ultrasound, which I was informed came back negative for any abnormalities. I am three days late in my current menstrual cycle, and when I woke up this morning I was in tears, incapacitated with the abdominal pain I was experiencing.

I'm aware there is no real screening that can be done for ovarian cancer (aside from biopsy of the ovary), but I'm at a loss as to what to do at this point. Should I continue to seek medical advice for this issue? I'm worried I will go through more testing only to be told that there is nothing wrong, but I simply cannot live without the peace of mind of knowing what is going on.

Thank you for any advice you guys can give me.

The following user gives a hug of support to alexwilliamson:
Adria8 (05-11-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
(female)

Adria8 HB User
Re: Cancer-weary. What to do?

I'm not an expert, but it sounds like your doing the right thing. Keep having ultrasounds to look for abnormal growths in your ovaries and see if there's any blood tests that can help too (something about CA-125?). Think healthy thoughts as well.. you'd be surprised what the power of the mind can do ~

Closed Thread

Tags
cysts, menstruation, ovarian cancer