It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2012, 02:18 PM   #1
(female)

sally97 HB Usersally97 HB User
Atypical Glandular Cells - looking for feedback!

I just received a diagnosis of Atypical Glandular Cells ..... got a colposcopy and endometrial biopsy just yesterday.

I am awaiting the results of the tests, but am very nervous and upset.... can't sleep at night and my appetite is gone.

I am hoping to get some feedback from anyone with experience with this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
(female)

completed HB User
Re: Atypical Glandular Cells - looking for feedback!

Hey sally...

I am going to reply from work. I have done lots of reading and talked to another woman on here who has experienced the same thing. I am sorry i don't have time for a long post at the moment. This is not 100% a cancer sentence but it is something that has to be looked into. Try to google reputable sites and i will send you a message with everything i have learned so far. I was you and still am you in the waiting department. You need to see if you can get a referral to an on/gyno. They should deal with this result.

The Following User Says Thank You to completed For This Useful Post:
sally97 (07-31-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2012, 03:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Atypical cells are not normal but not cancerous. They are like an in-between cell change, and over the course of months to years, could possibly turn into cancer. So they are treated at this stage to get rid of them, usually with a D&C, a minor quick and easy procedure that removes the lining of uterus, and then you should be fine. They often occur in women who don't ovulate, are in perimenopause, or taking estrogen without progesterone. Nothing to panic over but not to be ignored and left untreated.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
sally97 (07-31-2012)
Old 07-31-2012, 03:19 PM   #4
(female)

OH73 HB UserOH73 HB User

Hi Sally - sorry to hear about your results. The waiting is no fun. I was in the same spot you are a few months ago, and have researched the heck out of atypical glandular cells. They are more rare than the normal atypical squamous results most women get, and most gyns have never dealt with them. They certainly need to be treated differently than the usual atypical cells found on a pap - required testing is colposcopy, ECC and endometrial biopsy if you're over 35. There is no wait and see, or re-test in 6 months recommendation with this one. So I'm glad to see you had a colposcopy and endometrial biopsy (ouch!) - but did you also have an ECC done? The endocervix is where those pesky buggers like to hang out mostly.

If you have any questions, or just need to vent, please let me know. I'm sure you've done your research - AGC is a scary result. My pap came back AGC, ASC-US and postitive for high risk HPV, initial biopsies came back with adenocarcinoma in-situ, and my follow-up cone biopsy came back with stage 1B1 adenosquamous carcinoma. I'm an odd one and have the rare result of both adenocarcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma. I'm having a radical hysterectomy next week, plus having my pelvic lymph nodes removed.

The glandular stuff is nothing to mess around with - I went from normal paps my entire life (I'm 39), with my last one being in 2011 to one year later having invasive cancer. This stuff just doesn't follow the normal pattern that most cervical abnormalities do. So I am so glad you are having more tests done! Please come back and let us know how they turn out, and let me/us know if you have any questions or just someone to talk to.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OH73 For This Useful Post:
completed (07-31-2012), sally97 (07-31-2012)
Old 07-31-2012, 03:29 PM   #5
(female)

Thanks so much to all of you for the replies!!

You ladies are really great.

I have been sitting home, wasting my summer, feeling glum....your optimism and explanations are very comforting.

Just knowing someone is out there listening is huge.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:39 PM   #6
(female)

completed HB User

Sally,

Just be careful with the advice you get. Talk to people who have been there and understand what the significance of AGC. This result can be everything from nothing serious to serious. Generally Atpical Squamish cells are just an irritation that needs to be watched. Atypical Glandular Cells are not the same. They require further investigation. Because they are from an area that is unseen it is important to make sure that there isn't something hidden going on.

I am in for a couple tests this week but I still haven't had my ECC or my colposcopy. That is next wednesday. I had a Doctor that did not understand my results and from googling and talking to OH73 I sought a ON/Gyno. I am going to the cancer clinic now and they rushed me in right away. If this wasn't something to investigate immediately they would not do that. Regular Gyno's often treat this as Atypical Squamish Cells so just be careful. Educate yourself and don't be afraid to ask questions. You can't ask the right questions if you don't educate yourself.

The Following User Says Thank You to completed For This Useful Post:
sally97 (07-31-2012)
Old 07-31-2012, 03:52 PM   #7
(female)

I am going to make a point of being sure to see a gyn/onc. So far I have only seen my regular gynecologist.
I was definitely going to seek a second opinion. I just figured I'd do that after getting my biopsy results, so I can have my results with me.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:58 PM   #8
(female)

OH73 HB UserOH73 HB User

Excellent idea, Sally. My colposcopy, ECC and endometrial biopsy were done by a regular gyn. Once the results came back, I got switched over to a gyn/onc - and he is fantastic! These folks are the ones who know what to do with an AGC result and anything that might come of it. It depends on your insurance and the gyn/onc you deal with, but some of them won't take you until you have those initial results in hand. Hopefully you can see one for a second opinion until then at least! Good luck!

Old 07-31-2012, 04:09 PM   #9
(female)

Allanniah HB User

Hi Sally,
Just thought I'd add my 2 cents worth- because my ecc still came back as Atypical , but then the cone came back with Adenocarcinoma in situ.

OH is right - squamous and glandular cells are different.

Squamous cells have a whole staging plan underneath the precancerous umbrella where as AGC and AEC of undetermined significance don't. This is the only warning sign of something sinister going on.

Five years ago I had squamous CIN2/Cin3 - so when my results of this pap came back "atypical" I didn't think it was anything to be overly worried about - it sounded really low grade compared to my prior experience.

I remember feeling relieved when my ecc and punch biopsy came back as still being atypical - because I was basing my concerns in my squamous experience - I didn't know that glandular doesn't have a low grade/high grade lesion classification.

I was confused that immediately after that "good news" the doctor was booking a cone biopsy for the next day under anesthetic - but given that I've had a cone and issues before, I just assumed it was over cautious. I was in total shock when it came back as adenocarcinoma - I've had regular paps- where was the warning?

This isn't to make your wait worse - but just to keep you from
Having the false sense of optimism that I had.

Atypia means that there is a problem. At least in my experience. I hope that your problem is no worse than mine!

The Following User Says Thank You to Allanniah For This Useful Post:
sally97 (07-31-2012)
Old 07-31-2012, 04:31 PM   #10
(female)

Thanks Allanniah. This is exactly the information I am looking for.

Hearing of other peoples' experiences is helping me to understand exactly what I should be expecting. I'd rather hear true experiences. I feel like my doctor is trying to pacify me by saying "glands can sometimes just behave strangely, let's just wait for the results".... which is fine to say, but I like INFORMATION.... what are the potential results??

I appreciate all the support I am receiving here. It is alleviating a lot of my fears.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:44 AM   #11
(female)

SandyMN HB UserSandyMN HB UserSandyMN HB UserSandyMN HB User

Hi Sally!

I just went through this as well. I had a pap smear (June 6, 2012) that came back AGC-endocervical, ASCUS and HPV negative. I also had a pelvic ultrasound (June 20, 2012) that showed uterine fibroids and an enlarged, cystic ovary. My OB/GYN recommended colposcopy, ECC and endometrial biopsy (I am 44). I had that done July 21, 2012. The results from all three came back negative. I am still scared, as I did so much reading on google, that I don't believe the negative! They drew blood on me to check my CA-125 levels which came back normal, so ovarian cancer is ruled out. I go back for a follow-up ultrasound August 16th. I also made an appointment with an OB/GYN at Mayo for a second opinion, but that isn't until September 5th. I go back and forth feeling confident in the negative results, to reading more on google, and sure that they missed the area where my problem is.... I will keep reading your posts, I know how you feel....Take care!

The following user gives a hug of support to SandyMN:
Allanniah (08-01-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to SandyMN For This Useful Post:
sally97 (08-01-2012)
Old 08-01-2012, 06:05 AM   #12
(female)

Thanks so much Sandy.

I hope you can relax soon. Though it sounds like they did a thorough job.

If my tests come back negative I am going to request some of the other tests you and the other ladies have mentioned.
I'm not sure the 2 tests I got are adequate..... and am sure I'd also feel as though I "don't believe the negative".

I completely understand why you would feel they way. I've read a few cases that women have "bad" pap results for a number of years..... and it sounds like they are bouncing around with no real answers.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:19 AM   #13
(female)

SandyMN HB UserSandyMN HB UserSandyMN HB UserSandyMN HB User

Sally, from what I read in your post, you did not have an ecc, correct? I know that it is supposed to be done in cases of agc. Another test that I think they may perform at mayo is a hysteroscopy. They go in to your cervix with a scope and look at your uterus and I would hope the uterocervical junction, as I think that is the area where things can be missed. Just another piece of info for you to file away...

Old 08-01-2012, 07:02 AM   #14
(female)

completed HB User

Yes if you haven't had the ecc you should request it.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:48 AM   #15
(female)

OH73 HB UserOH73 HB User

3rd vote for getting that ECC. It's one of the standard tests for an AGC result. I actually had to argue with my gyn to do it. And thank goodness I did - that's where my adenocarcinoma tumor was hiding. Luckily, mine was only .8mm wide by .3mm deep - just barely over the requirements for stage 1B1. Another woman I've been talking to had hers found there as well - but hers was golf-ball sized. Oddly enough, both of our initial gyn's mentioned that they saw fibroids upon closer inspection. It wasn't until after the results came back that it hit me - he wasn't looking into my uterus, so how did he see a fibroid? Fibroid in the endocervix, cancerous tumor - same thing right? *snort* Then again, my gyn didn't even do the colposcopy correctly, so I should have known he had no clue what was going on...

~Samantha

Last edited by OH73; 08-01-2012 at 07:49 AM.

Closed Thread