It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2012, 01:37 PM   #1
(female)

qwerty12365 HB User
Does this sound like an ovarian cyst or something worse? Google is making me crazy.

I'm kind of freaked out b/c of all of the redirects to ovarian cancer.

In April I went backpacking in Africa and wound up on Cipro. Even after coming back to the states, I had some kind of raging belly problem that the doctor decided was post-infections IBS...diarrhea, terrible burning/cramping, then constipation. Nothing showed up on tests (no blood or parasites). Probiotics seemed to help, and after about a month of them the diarrhea pretty much stopped.

The cramping never fully went away. Then last month, I was convinced I was pregnant. Lower back pain, this kind of interminable PMS-style set of symptoms (weight gain, cramping, swollen breasts). Period was a week late. I've been pregnant before, this is what it felt like. I went to the doctor, pregnancy test was neg, urine showed blood so I went on antibiotics but then UTI test came back negative. Got my period, felt some relief.

Now it's three weeks later. (My last period started on the 12th) I've got the same symptoms, but this time there are sharp pains on the right side, too, like an ovarian cyst (I had one a few years ago). It feels worse when I'm walking up stairs. Sometimes stretching actually makes it feel a little bit better. It's sort of a vague sense that something inside and a few inches above my thigh is out of whack. I feel pain after a BM, and I can also feel it if I kind of push down with pelvic muscles during sex, or if I'm on the toilet.

Does this sound like a cyst? Would it flare up around period time? I'm a bit terrified of the ovarian cancer thing b/c of the April extreme bowel problems and the bloating/water retention...I've read they commonly misdiagnose early OC as IBS. I'm having an ultrasound on Friday but am pretty freaked out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2012, 01:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Does this sound like an ovarian cyst or something worse? Google is making me craz

My theory would be thast you may have had C. difficile after Cipro therapy that caused the prolonged diarrhea, cramping etc and the probiotics may have cleared it up. If that returns or feels like it never resolved completely, I would ask Dr for a C. Difficile antibody test. It is a germ that produces a toxin and is caused by certain antibiotics, Cipro one of them. Your current symptoms do sound like a possible cyst and they do get worse between ovulation and period. So it is good you have an ultrasound Fri, which will also help differentiate a cyst (benign) from a solid mass (possible tumor). Cysts are extremely common, so I would not be worried right now. Most can be treated with a cycle or two of oral contraceptives.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Does this sound like an ovarian cyst or something worse? Google is making me craz

If you are still in your reproductive years, cysts are a much more likely explanation than cancer. Soon you'll have the ultrasound and then you'll find out for sure.

There are a lot of nasty stomach illnesses in the 3rd world, and of course Cipro is a pretty harsh antibiotic. It could definitely take your body some time to get back to normal after all that. My brother picked up some sort of parasite in Southeast Asia, and it took him about 2 months to fully recover. They never did identify the cause of his illness, but a broad-spectrum anti-parasite medicine seemed to help. If your digestive system still seems really out of whack, try a travel medicine clinic, as they are better set up to identify illnesses not common in the developed world.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
(female)

qwerty12365 HB User
30 years old, 5cm complex cyst - tech said it was leaking. Is that good or bad?

I just got back from my ultrasound. It was a really weird experience. The external pelvic showed the cyst on the right ovary where I've been having the pain. 5 cm or so, complex cyst. Didn't seem to have much blood flow, which I'm told is good.

When she got to the transvaginal, though, it hurt SO much. Everything cramped up. I've had plenty of ultrasounds and nothing like this, it actually hurt to walk afterwards. The tech said said "there's not much room in there" and that there was fluid b/c the cyst was leaking. Is this "ascites"? I've had the typical symptoms that can go either way - cyst or cancer - bowel issues, cramping, fullness. No problems w/digestion or frequent urination.

I'm 30 and pre-menopausal, no history of ovarian or breast cancer in the family. My dad tells me mom had cysts before she had me. That said, I'm pretty scared.

EDITED: here are the findings:
IMPRESSION:
1. COMPLEX CYSTIC MASS, RIGHT OVARY, MEASURES 5.5 X 5.1 X 5.5 CM. RECOMMEND FOLLOW-UP IMAGING.
2. ANTEVERTED UTERUS WITHOUT UTERINE MASS.

FINDINGS:

The uterus is anteverted measuring 7.5 x 3.8 x 6.0 cm. The right ovary measures 4.9 x 2.4 x 3.5 cm and contains a complex cystic mass measuring 5.5 x 5.1 x 5.5 cm. The left ovary is difficult to visualize measuring approximately 2.1 x 1.1 x 1.7 cm. The cervix measures 3.2 cm. Free fluid is seen.

That's all it said. I thought they usually included more info...like, speculation on what the cyst might be, if the fluid was ascites, etc...

Last edited by qwerty12365; 08-03-2012 at 04:24 PM. Reason: additional info

Old 09-12-2012, 01:50 PM   #5
(female)

hopefulinGod HB User

Hi qwerty12365,

I hope everything turned out well since your last visit.

I stumbled across your thread looking for possible ideas so that I can ask numerous questions on my visit to the doctor. Today I was told that they found a large heterogeneous solid and cystic mass. Report was vague, but they drew blood to check for Cancer and I am going for a MRI on Friday. Keep me in your prayers. I have to admit I am a bit terrified.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

The fluid leakage is not the same as ascites. It is just cyst fluid leaking out, which irritates the pelvis and causes pain. In a small simple cyst, like 1-2 cm, the fluid leaking can be the end of the cyst. In a complex cyst (like separate "rooms" in the cyst separated by membranes, one area can leak but the rest are still intact, so the cyst doesn't just disappear. The MRI will provide additional information that will help determine treatment.

Closed Thread

Tags
complex cyst, ovarian cancer, ovarian cyst